What's new
Whipping up a fingerboard with dip switches for button mapping would be pretty easy. Let me go through the notes and see if I have what it should be like and we can it from there.

Earlier in this thread, @dos claims that the majority of adapters are just wired wrong and button remapping dip switches are not the ideal solution, a correctly wired adapter is.

Earlier in this thread, @dos claims that the majority of adapters are just wired wrong and button remapping dip switches are not the ideal solution, a correctly wired adapter is.
If that is the case then there is no need to re-invent what @Hatsune Mike has made available. Just pick up a few of those PCB and add in an edge card and away you go.

Adding that to my list order PCB's to fab up.

If that is the case then there is no need to re-invent what @Hatsune Mike has made available. Just pick up a few of those PCB and add in an edge card and away you go.

Adding that to my list order PCB's to fab up.

I have no experience with this, can someone shed some light on this process?

I have no experience with this, can someone shed some light on this process?
Download the gerber file. Go to JLCPC, select order, drag and drop the gerber into the order page, select the color you want, select the quantity you want, add to cart, and BOOM!

But it is expensive right now for shipping. I ordered a few of these along with other projects. Only need one. Holla at me in a few weeks and I'll sell ya one.

I'm not sure why the needs for dip switches on S16 adapters. What I remember is that buttons 1&2 were flipped on the most popular adapter, which was copied by others and led people to want to reorganize the buttons on this system specifically, because the non-configurable ones felt wrong (because they were wrong).

Here's a post I made on another forum detailing this mess:
Another thing to note about System 16 in general is that it requires an adapter to play on a JAMMA setup. The most popular adapter (black thing in my pic), is wired wrong and swaps buttons 1 and 2. I think a lot of other adapters are like that due to this wrong image that floats around:

tz4glcd-jpg.jpg

I think people assume it's linear but it is actually

Button 3
Button 1
Button 2

As seen here in this image from Shinobi's manual:

wskgc3k-png.png

And from the same manual, confirmation that "Attack" is supposed to be wired to the first button:

wzxg65y-png.png

Some Japanese POP also showing this:
sxxzorz-jpg.jpg

iqjtyiy-jpg.jpg

Due to this people assume System 16 buttons are just crazy and have no standard but it's not true, once you just swap buttons 1 & 2 if you have one of the bad adapters every game follows the familiar JAMMA-style button layouts.

This adapter lets you set the layout however you want (thanks to people thinking System 16 is an inscrutable button mess):

https://www.arcaniac.com/products/sega-system-16-24-to-jamma-adapter
What's needed (and doesn't exist) is just a simple adapter that is wired correctly, like the adapters for almost every other hardware

@RealMFnG

Can you reference the post above and confirm if @Hatsune Mike ’s adapter uses the common incorrect buttons?

Can you reference the post above and confirm if @Hatsune Mike ’s adapter uses the common incorrect buttons?

Yes, Mike's adapter has the incorrect button order. I fixed mine with some kynar wire.

I believe the following will FINALLY put this button issue to bed. :)

TLDR: Sega kept changing pinouts on their System 16 hardware. So some games had buttons swapped, other didn't.

I spoke with Adrian (PCBJunkie) who makes adapters for System 16 and asked his opinion on why there were so many discrepancies with the buttons on Sega games.
Here's what he wrote:
"Sega can't even keep their own button order consistent. There is no way to create a single adapter that will have the correct button layout for all Sega games, unless button remapping is used. I'll just give you examples with these 3 button games that I'm pretty familiar with (below). Two button games often use button 2 and 3. Alien syndrome (1 button game) uses button 2 only... lol

Eswat:
Manual: special, shoot, jump (connector button position 1, 2, 3)
Sega CP: shoot ,special, jump.
Button Order: 2, 1, 3

Shinobi:
manual: magic, attack, jump
Segla CP: magic, jump, attack
Button Order: 1, 3, 2

Altered Beast
manual: Jump, punch, kick
CP: punch, jump, kick
Order: 2. 1. 3

Adrian"

So there you have it. Best bet is to get an adapter with the jumpers for flexibility.

Del

It'd be cool if the adapter can read the game being played and auto-map the buttons that you set it for. This would be handy for people who own the Multi, as an example.

It would also be impossible.
Just curious, what makes this impossible? If these adapters have Dip switches to re-route the signals, could you not do that in software based on the Rom chosen if a board was designed to read that rom like how a Multi-Pi will read the contents of a MicroSD from the Multi and execute the flashing process?

I believe the following will FINALLY put this button issue to bed. :)

TLDR: Sega kept changing pinouts on their System 16 hardware. So some games had buttons swapped, other didn't.

I spoke with Adrian (PCBJunkie) who makes adapters for System 16 and asked his opinion on why there were so many discrepancies with the buttons on Sega games.
Here's what he wrote:
"Sega can't even keep their own button order consistent. There is no way to create a single adapter that will have the correct button layout for all Sega games, unless button remapping is used. I'll just give you examples with these 3 button games that I'm pretty familiar with (below). Two button games often use button 2 and 3. Alien syndrome (1 button game) uses button 2 only... lol

Eswat:
Manual: special, shoot, jump (connector button position 1, 2, 3)
Sega CP: shoot ,special, jump.
Button Order: 2, 1, 3

Shinobi:
manual: magic, attack, jump
Segla CP: magic, jump, attack
Button Order: 1, 3, 2

Altered Beast
manual: Jump, punch, kick
CP: punch, jump, kick
Order: 2. 1. 3

Adrian"

So there you have it. Best bet is to get an adapter with the jumpers for flexibility.

Del

For the programmable button mapper I am putting together, I am going with 1-2-3 as the default mapping, unless someone can convince me otherwise. Of course, it is programmable so you can set and save whatever layout you want and switch to them when needed.

Back