What's new
Just wanted to share my tips for the System 18 Multi installation:

Firstly, don't be me. I had replaced the 68000 CPU and the multi was barely loading just a handful of games; and those few were giving me no sound, buggy graphics and weird controls. I spent over 6 hours trying to troubleshoot by reprogramming the modules, trying alternate CPU's, etc. *UNTIL* I found out that you also NEED to remove the ROM chip situated at IC4. @AlxUnderBase said this above, but I missed it and there's no manual to refer to, so wanted to put this out there as it really stitched me up.

CPU: The correct CPU to use is a Motorola MC68000P10. This seller on Aliexpress has them cheaper than the guys on eBay who sell the same thing. It took about 10 days to Australia (make sure to pay for "Aliexpress Standard Shipping"). I can confirm they work: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000569830003.html

IC4: Reminder, AGAIN, to be sure there's no chip situated at IC4. If there is, remove it. See photo below for location reference:

57426C95-C228-48C5-A5CA-202E25B05802.jpeg

Module Size: There's a total of 5 modules on the board. 4 of them are 512Mb, and the other is 1Gb. You just have to keep track of the 1Gb module (for location 4 on the Multi) as it's different from the rest. If you get this mixed up, the ProMan can identify the size of the module for you. If you don't have a programmer, whomever programs your modules can mark the sizes and their locations on the silkscreen.

Module Removal: Be very gentle when removing the modules from the motherboard and programmer adapters. They're in there REALLY tight and you'll need to pry them out bit-by-bit alternating sides. You can use a chip removal tool if you get it under there but make sure you wrap something around it to protect the underside of the module and multi PCB. This also goes for the adapter socket in the ProMan. I yanked a little too hard and bent a couple of pins on one of my adapters :/ -- You will DEFINITELY bend pins really bad if you yank too hard on one side and the pins come out the socket.

Module Programming: Simple stuff really, the ProMan software is pretty intuitive. Just be sure to use the "Smart Key" function as it Erase's, Programs and Verifies in one action. Programming takes a while, but so just be patient with it. If the chip doesn't verify, check your USB connection and try again.

Module Insertion: Just be sure to line up the pins and press down. Nice and easy, they make a satisfying click when they snap in.

Multi Insertion: There's no chance of putting it in the wrong orientation. One connector is larger than the other. Just make sure it's firmly down.

That's about it. Spent a good many hours with it tonight and had a ball. Good choice on the music for CA, it actually fits the game and I suprisingly enjoyed playing it a lot more on real hardware over the Switch.

I'm was originally using the Japanese set but there’s issues with it. Stick to the standard set for now. DIP selector dial is a nice touch, just wish there was a reset button on-board!

P.S. Hopefully the proper sound for CA comes to reality -- anyone here skilled enough for the task? ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

Can somebody kindly point me in the right direction to the ROM pack on archive.org.

Thanks Justin

Team, I finally got a 68000 from china, it looks brand new, but now that I test it in my multi (Clutch Hitter motherboard, IC4 is already gone), I get garbled sounds for at least Alien Storm, DD Crew, and Desert Breaker. Haven't checked more yet as I wanted to ask before I do more trouble shooting. The CH game works fine (with my battery CPU), but the CH on the multi also works fine.

Is there a chance my burned ROMs are bad or something else? Any trouble shooting ideas?

In the sound test for Alien Storm, the BGM works fine, but the sound effects are garbled.

EDIT: I tested in a real MW PCB and my sounds are perfect. Great multi and Amazing "extra" game at the end, quickly became a favorite. Also, WW is pretty good, at least for little kids (and maybe drunk adults).

That being said, any quick help on my CH motherboard? The thing looks to be in great condition otherwise. I'd like to use it for the multi to preserve my MW if possible...

Last edited:
Just wanted to share my tips for the System 18 Multi installation:

Module Size: There's a total of 5 modules on the board. 4 of them are 512Mb, and the other is 1Gb. You just have to keep track of the 1Gb module (for location 4 on the Multi) as it's different from the rest. If you get this mixed up, the ProMan can identify the size of the module for you. If you don't have a programmer, whomever programs your modules can mark the sizes and their locations on the silkscreen.

Module Removal: Be very gentle when removing the modules from the motherboard and programmer adapters. They're in there REALLY tight and you'll need to pry them out bit-by-bit alternating sides. You can use a chip removal tool if you get it under there but make sure you wrap something around it to protect the underside of the module and multi PCB. This also goes for the adapter socket in the ProMan. I yanked a little too hard and bent a couple of pins on one of my adapters :/ -- You will DEFINITELY bend pins really bad if you yank too hard on one side and the pins come out the socket.

;)

modules are 64 MB and 128MB.

removal: yeah... did get bent pins on both the adapter and the multi ... and while bending them back, I was stuck by lighting and presto, a nice soft removing tool !! worked great for the rest!
IMG_8743.jpg

Yeah you gotta pry on one side a bit then switch and repeat until the module is removed.

They are a pretty tight fit.

Need some help with my Sega System 18 Multi.

All games are working perfect except DD Crew (2p) and DD Crew (3p).

DD Crew (2p) has a white background + graphics are missing. In DD Crew (3p) in the other hand while it's looking and sounding great enemies go straight to left slightly out of starting screen and stay there. Seems like they are not dying either no matter how long I hit them.

Any idea what's wrong and what I could do to fix those issues?

Sent you a PM but could you show me one of the flashes from module 1. 2. 3, or 5?

Hi everyone,
Is it possible to flip vertical orientation of Hammer Away game via dip switch settings? The game starts upside down for me.

I have this Romboard, an official decrypted Shadow dancer Japan Version, is it interesting for the community copy it. If yes how to install it on the multi please?

shadow10.jpg

I have this Romboard, an official decrypted Shadow dancer Japan Version, is it interesting for the community copy it. If yes how to install it on the multi please?

shadow10.jpg
Ive just sent to France a Bloxeed undumped set (romboard + fd1094 module) . Seems for Sega System 18 hardware are still few undumped sets remained 🥳👍🏻 .
Check with @futasan for more infos about your Shadow Dancer . He can ask Apocalypse to get an answer if you wish 👍🏻

All the (known) versions of Shadow Dancer are unencrypted. The one you show is both in MAME and supported by the multi using the Japanese romset (it's available in the pack).

Hi everyone,
I just received my ProMan programmer and I am new to this. I would like to know if I am inserting the module correctly?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 14
Back