What's new

nork69

Student
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Im interesting in that ''thing''.
I don't know anyone who own one, that could give me some realistic info about it.
It seems it run the best version of ghouls'n ghost.
Let see what you think about it.

I mean, if your main concern is GnG you should probably just buy the arcade PCB. It and a supergun or arcade cabinet would cost you a lot less and require less work.

X68000 stuff is pricey pricey. And almost all of them need recapping before use, if not a bunch of other work as well. There are a plethora of expansion cards, which is at least initially overwhelming, some necessary depending on the model you pick up.

The wiki on gamesx is a truly great resource for just about everything x68000. I'd recommend digging in there to start.

https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:x68000

We have at least a couple of x68000 experts on here that I'm aware of. Hopefully one of them will chime in too.

I've always held interest but never paid the price.

It's on my short list to set up an emulator for x68k which allows for MIDI forwarding to my MT-100 (MT-32).

I've always held interest but never paid the price.

It's on my short list to set up an emulator for x68k which allows for MIDI forwarding to my MT-100 (MT-32).
After a ton of research and chatting with a couple of members on here (I'm eternally grateful for their help, I don't want to tag them as I don't want them to feel obligated to give an entire x68k lecture) I stalked YAJ for six months for the right deal.

Picked up an original model for $53 and shipping, already ATX modded. It's an ugly gray tower, and it isn't in the best of shape, but it should be a good starter one. I've got an MT-32 and may have a line on an SC-55, so I'm excited to see those get some use.

Id like to get an XVI down the line, but I've missed the only few auctions ending at sensible prices in the past half year.

Did the x68k use general midi modules like the sc-55 too? I knew it had mt-32 compatible games but didn't know about general midi modules.

Did the x68k use general midi modules like the sc-55 too? I knew it had mt-32 compatible games but didn't know about general midi modules.
It has a small list of games that use features exclusive to the SC-55 (and I believe an even smaller number of games that use the 88?).

I don't think you can just use any MIDI module for general sounds, but I could be wrong? Hopefully someone more experienced chimes in.

I put up a thread on the modules themselves.

Basically, SC-55 is general midi (GM) unless the game uses the roland GS extended features. For example on DOS games any general midi module works, like yamaha MU50 in place of SC-55 for general midi games.

MT-32, you just want an MT-32 or compatible. The sc-55 only works for very limited mt-32 support (stock instrument set) which isn't useful in most MT-32 compatible games.

Of course this is all midi. Some games load patches to MT-32 for some SFX (which is were the MT32 mode on sc-55 fails), but I know for most games SFX wise you probably have to mix the computers output of digital FX with the midi module output, either via a mixer board, or sending the computer sound to input of the SC55 in the case of GM.

A lot of games for the X68000 had music written for the SC-55. Even a SC-55Mk2 may sound wonky depending on the game, so I'd recommend the original model. CM-64 is also a great module to have for the X68k - Detana Twinbee sounds amazing if you ever get a chance to check it out. A Yamaha MU2000EX (or possibly other Yamahas) may also sound good for some tracks but I don't think I've encountered any games with MIDI written specifically for the Yamaha modules so you just have to play around.

Awesome to know. I have two SC-55 original models, one version 1.21 for dos games, and one 2.0 for DAW work. If I get a X68000 emu set up I can play with them and the MT-100 :)

VGA adapters for the X68000’s video port are easily obtained. I run mine through an OSSC upscaler to a PC CRT, which works great for all of the supported resolutions.

Although you can find X68k SCART cables, SCART is a bad idea with X68000 because the voltages on the video port are VGA spec (5V) not consumer spec (0.7V) so you can damage whatever SCART device you plug the X68k into. You can also damage some of the chips in the X68k’s video output stage with SCART - it’s a fairly common occurrence with new X68k owners.

IMG_2657_Original.jpeg

How do you connect the nec to the sharp? Vga? Scart? 15hz 31hz?

I made an adapter as the vga pinout is different to that of the x68000. Also have an adapter for FM Towns 2 CRT to X68000 too. They make lovely monitors for x68000.

Plugging in vga directly will damage the video card of the x68000 so please do not do it. Easily fixable though.

Back