What's new

Gonzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought this PVM for a 100. Got the flyback hissing but looks good when turned on. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230522_204648.jpg
    20230522_204648.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 93
My advice is: don't make assumptions. The flyback is so rarely a culprit in most monitors for just about anything.

Have you opened it up yet?

Such an amazing g looking set. That style is in the Met. In 100 years people will look at it a think “that’s what a Tv looks like”. This one is totally worth the effort!

Messing around inside TVs is no errand for the inexperienced - they can be very dangerous. There are lots of good safety videos. Steve Nutter from retro tech is my favorite.

Normally hissing noises are coming from the anode cap where it connects to the tube, replacing the dialetric grease can help. or from vibration of the big power conditioning caps on the power supply - many power supplies suppress the vibrations by gluing them

Sometimes I need to listen to specific components and don’t want to stick my head inside the TV. A cardboard tube can really help with this.

I haven't dealt with this one but the 25" version I have and it had an annoying hiss / occasional sync loss and recapping fixed. Mine looks ok (I prefer the scanlines on the 20" 20m2 personally) but I've heard these are much better. Best of luck and be sure to discharge that sucker and be aware of the hot spots on the boards. Best of luck!

My advice is: don't make assumptions. The flyback is so rarely a culprit in most monitors for just about anything.

Have you opened it up yet?
Will be opening it on the weekend. I couldn't let this beast pass me by. always wanted one.

Added a foto turned on. Hissing gone down bit. Will probably buy a atv Jack to put this on a work beach. Very heavy.

Attachments

• 20230523_224723.jpg
    20230523_224723.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 56
Added a foto turned on. Hissing gone down bit. Will probably buy a atv Jack to put this on a work beach. Very heavy.
Or just borrow a friend for a couple minutes.

That image has a lotta wobble, and looks like the degauss didn't trigger. All in though, shouldn't be a hard repair, these were made early enough in the PVM line that they're easy to work on still. I'd start with recapping the power board in its entirety and see where you're at then (make sure and use low ESR caps).

That’s awesome! I’ve never seen a 3230 before. The 2530 is heavy so I can only imagine what that thing weighs.

Or just borrow a friend for a couple minutes.

That image has a lotta wobble, and looks like the degauss didn't trigger. All in though, shouldn't be a hard repair, these were made early enough in the PVM line that they're easy to work on still. I'd start with recapping the power board in its entirety and see where you're at then (make sure and use low ESR caps).
Everybody I talked too say the anode cup might be loss. Just discharge, disconnect, reconnect, and add a little of that grease for electric. I'm going to open it up over the holiday.

Back