What's new

bravesirchris

Student
Reaction score
I need some help and advice with star wars trilogy I'm working on, the game plays fine apart from there is no back round music. I've got sound so its not an issue with speakers or amp.

on doing a Rom test the all Rom are good apart from IC 19, I do have another star wars Rom board and I did just try swapping out what I thought was the faulty Rom but then the game didn't start up, so I put the original Rom back in and the game booted up.

So I'm now a bit confused.

Attachments

• star wars.jpg
    star wars.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 98
Some Model 3 Games (and I think Star wars is one of them) use a separate Board for music call the DSB2. it's it's own smaller cage with it's own CPU and Music ROMs.

it wont be available in the game test because it communicates over a serial interface to instruct the DSB2 as to what audio to play, and then the audio output of the DSB2 is mixed inline with the output from the Model 3 main board. before heading to the amp.

So no music = problem with the DSB2

Reactions: nem
Some Model 3 Games (and I think Star wars is one of them) use a separate Board for music call the DSB2. it's it's own smaller cage with it's own CPU and Music ROMs.

it wont be available in the game test because it communicates over a serial interface to instruct the DSB2 as to what audio to play, and then the audio output of the DSB2 is mixed inline with the output from the Model 3 main board. before heading to the amp.

So no music = problem with the DSB2
thanks, I've of a few scrap Sega rally 2 so my plan for to day is start swapping parts and see if I can pin point the issue

I believe you should be able to use the DSB2 from Sega Rally 2 but you'll need to swap over all of the ROMs inside. there may be some jumpers to setup too. I'm not super well versed in the DSB2 personally.

It should be just a case of swapping over the roms.

If it still isn't working, check the small boards that mix the audio outputs (before the amp). You wouldn't think they can go bad, but they can.

check the small boards that mix the audio outputs (before the amp). You wouldn't think they can go bad, but they can.
IIRC the audio mixing board is just a few connectors and resistors. should be pretty easy to test

Back