What's new

Kujako

Grand Master
Reaction score
Swear these used to be easier to find, but looking for an adapter to hookup a DB15 controller (Neo Geo but with support for six buttons) to a Megadrive/Genesis DB9 port.

Example: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4122877

I can get the above PCB printed and source the parts, but my SMD soldering skills are lacking so before I go down that route (and order spares for when I mess up) I thought I'd see if anyone know of any assembled ones out there in the wild.

I’m down for some if anyone’s making them. The one I have here has the “mode” button mapped for coin which is a nice addition.

I’m down for some if anyone’s making them. The one I have here has the “mode” button mapped for coin which is a nice addition.
If it comes down to it, I'll dust off my hot air rework station and build a few from the PCB I linked above (well I linked the 3D printed shell, but that has links to the PCB). I may look at it as a chance to brush up on my SMD skills.

@djsheep went ahead and ordered parts for a small run of these. Not going to do the built in cable, just going to have a DB9 female. So a standard megadrive extension cable will be needed. If I don't start a fire putting them together I'll let you know and can punt one over your way.

Nice one. Please keep me in the loop. Hope the “mode” button acts as coin :)

Nice one. Please keep me in the loop. Hope the “mode” button acts as coin :)
Yeah will have to see. There is a jumper that changes the "mode" from Megadrive to Master System. But no idea how the buttons are mapped or even if it supports six buttons. Guess I'll find out!

Keen to see how you go. Can’t find much info on that board online

Ordered six PCB prints along with...
10x DB15 Male
2x DB9 Female (will need more but wanted to try it with and without the cable)
50x 10kOhm SMD resistors (8 per unit)
50x SN74HC157DR (hard to find SMD 74157 chips right now, due to the whole chip shortage. Found a left over unused lot on the ebays.)
100x 0.1uF SMD capacitor (only need one per unit, but hard to buy them in smaller quantities)

Lots of extra bits left over, but I'll find a use for them at some point. Or forget I have them and order more when I need them later...

Got all the parts in other than the PCBs, which are being printed today so should arrive by the weekend. Forgot how small SMD resistors are...

Got all the parts in other than the PCBs, which are being printed today so should arrive by the weekend. Forgot how small SMD resistors are...
I got these on eBay.

The seller claims they will work in either direction, if a DB9 male to female adapter is used.

I haven't tried this.

I haven't seen this listed or sold anywhere else.

The setup isn't that great for DB15 to DB9; Button 6 = coin insert.
IMG_20210809_205301209.jpg

Edit: They are for sale again from the same seller, located in Austria

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEN2NEOGEO...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Last edited:
I got these on eBay.

The seller claims they will work in either direction, if a DB9 male to female adapter is used.

I haven't tried this.

I haven't seen this listed or sold anywhere else.

The setup isn't that great for DB15 to DB9; Button 6 = coin insert.
IMG_20210809_205301209.jpg

Edit: They are for sale again from the same seller, located in Australia.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEN2NEOGEO...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
I really doubt those would work in the other direction... whatever the logic chip is (love it how folks sand off the silkscreens) it's going to have input and output pins. It's also going to expect +5v from the Neo Geo / Supergun port to operate. I guess it's possible that some of the missing jumpers could change the functionality, but no way to know. I've used items from that guy before, he tends to do a half way decent implementation of other peoples designs. Nothing wrong with that if the design is public, but I'd not trust it to do more than what it's listed as.

I really doubt those would work in the other direction... whatever the logic chip is (love it how folks sand off the silkscreens) it's going to have input and output pins. It's also going to expect +5v from the Neo Geo / Supergun port to operate. I guess it's possible that some of the missing jumpers could change the functionality, but no way to know. I've used items from that guy before, he tends to do a half way decent implementation of other peoples designs. Nothing wrong with that if the design is public, but I'd not trust it to do more than what it's listed as.
When I purchased from him, the description in the listing stated that it worked in either direction with the use of a male to female DB9 adapter.

I had purchased the last 2 that were for sale at that time.

The new listing does not state that.

I will see if I can dig up the old text from the listing anywhere in my records.

You can also always reach out to him. He responded to some of my questions.

Edit:

I think the expanded description at the time I purchased is gone forever. If you look at the name he used for the item, at the time that I purchased, you can see that there is a reference to it working both ways.
Screenshot_20210810-120106-723.png

Now, the listing only states GEN2NEOGEO but previously it also started NEOGEO2GEN.

Last edited:
The button 6 thing would irk me missing an input for Street Fighter. I guess someone needs to make one which maps coin properly. Seems like a no brainer considering how well regarded and standard the DB9 8BITDO M30 is.

The button 6 thing would irk me missing an input for Street Fighter. I guess someone needs to make one which maps coin properly. Seems like a no brainer considering how well regarded and standard the DB9 8BITDO M30 is.
I agree with you. It irks me a lot.

Fortunately, I have other adapters for Genesis, Saturn, it and SNES that allow full use of all 6 buttons.

I requested a pinout mapping from the seller but he declined to give me one.

I could obviously figure it out myself but, since I have other adapters, I haven't taken the time.

These work well for most arcade PCBs since most do not require 6 buttons. Still - just knowing the coin is mapped to button 6 turns me off and I hardly ever use them.

I have to test again, but I think they didn't work with my 8bitdo wireless controller. I'll try it out later and update the post.

Edit: I can confirm it doesn't work with the 8bitdo m30 wireless gamepad. It seems to work at first, but sometimes pressing button A causes random coin insert or for button B action to occur. Pressing button B sometimes results in the actions of button B and button A occurring at the same time.

Last edited:
7AC93C91-E59C-4EB3-8C22-4D0E00F5B846.png

I used this diagram recently to hook up a credit button to a stick. Hope it helps?

Still waiting on the PCBs to be printed, but have all of the other parts together to make four units (more if I get more DB9 connectors). Also have some debug ROMs loaded onto a flash cart to test the input on the MegaDrive.

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

Still waiting on the PCBs to be printed, but have all of the other parts together to make four units (more if I get more DB9 connectors). Also have some debug ROMs loaded onto a flash cart to test the input on the MegaDrive.
What are we looking at here? You are making your own converter? I feel like a post before this one is missing.

Back