What's new
Tap Plastics (California) carries Chemcast EdgeLit acrylic (link below). Not certain if they'd be willing/able to cut the specific design of the Vewlix marquee (the website forms just allow for square/rectangle cuts), but may be worth inquiring. I will order a sample piece and compare its specific properties to my OG FC marquees to see if it's a close match.

If anyone knows if Chemcast EdgeLit acrylic is NOT a potential match, let me know. Not a significant investment either way, so no big deal.
https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/chemcast_edgelit_acrylic

Tap Plastics (California) carries Chemcast EdgeLit acrylic (link below). Not certain if they'd be willing/able to cut the specific design of the Vewlix marquee (the website forms just allow for square/rectangle cuts), but may be worth inquiring. I will order a sample piece and compare its specific properties to my OG FC marquees to see if it's a close match.

If anyone knows if Chemcast EdgeLit acrylic is NOT a potential match, let me know. Not a significant investment either way, so no big deal.
https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/chemcast_edgelit_acrylic
Worth a shot, not all edgelit acrylic is the same. The piece that looks beat up in my pics on the orange is a repro i made years and was the one that most closely matched the original out of the ones I tested back then. There may be others that work.

Tap Plastics (California) carries Chemcast EdgeLit acrylic (link below).
That's not what we need unfortunately, it's kind of the opposite. What we need is acrylic meant to be edge lit but light up the face, this stuff is edge lit and emphasizes the edges. Which is great if you're etching it, but not so great for illuminating a marquee.

Agree the brand that I tried back then stopped selling that specific type of acrylic, there are other brands that Im looking into but haven't gotten specs on any yet.

So...I would have to go back and order a whole bunch of samples to test them out again.

But a lot you are about to have fresh lights so maybe a replacement will be found.

Last edited:
Are you sure you're not trying to find something that isn't necessarily branded as such? Couldn't a slightly opaque acrylic work as intended?

Ok I found the proper tape that needs to be used on the edges. Well I found 2 that should work, need to test them.

Still looking into the proper acrylic. Once I have something definite Ill post up.

Are you sure you're not trying to find something that isn't necessarily branded as such? Couldn't a slightly opaque acrylic work as intended?
This is something ripe for experimenting, so I don't have the answers. But, I can tell you how the branded stuff works. The acrylic is actually embedded with little microbeads that reflect light. That's why you can edge light it and get the face to light up. You have to scatter the light inside. Otherwise it just takes the shortest path, which is straight through and out the other side, and why the edges glow.

The 'magic trick' is that the microbeads are basically invisible, so it looks clear until you light it, and then it glows. We might be able to use say, frosted acrylic, but it won't look like stock, it won't be clear. Unsure how well that lights up, something I've meant to try and haven't yet.

Yes, exactly that, which is what makes this stuff harder to source. I've been looking into signage companies, but most of the acrylic they use is meant to be backlighted instead of edge-lighting.

The 'magic trick' is that the microbeads are basically invisible, so it looks clear until you light it, and then it glows. We might be able to use say, frosted acrylic, but it won't look like stock, it won't be clear. Unsure how well that lights up, something I've meant to try and haven't yet.
Should be able to intentionally contaminate the melted acrylic with a metal oxide.
Cr/Ni for example will slightly darken/tint glass, however it will remain "clear looking" but when exposed to light it has a ghostly blueish glow.

Amazing work @Derick2k !

Edit: Just saw you had a seperate thread for interest/pre-order.

Last edited:
I want to get the first kits out to people because what better test is there than real world application/use :) I expect zero issues cause I have been testing the repros prototypes non stop and it has been solid.

For those that want rgb:
Im still a bit ways off on those. I decided to go with NeoPixels (addressable RGB leds) which will make for some crazy effects. So Im looking for a controller that will work via wifi and/or bluetooth and be app controlled, etc.. Only issue with that is I need to step down the voltage from 12v to 5v with enough amps to power all the leds and controller. If that doesn't work then I would add or take 5v from another psu, which I dont want to. So I still need to crunch some numbers.

For those that want both top and bottom leds in white, with the bottom ones having a simple button dimmer, I can do a small run of those. I still need check a few little things with those. But should be ready to order some test pcbs soon.

Last edited:
For those that want both top and bottom leds in white, with the bottom ones having a simple button dimmer, I can do a small run of those. I still need check a few little things with those. But should be ready to order some test pcbs soon.
Yes, please! 1 for me.

1 for me as well.

I opened up a poll to see if vewlix owners would be interested in "proper" marquee acrylics kit.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/taito-vewlix-proper-acrylic-maquee.21349/post-326491

I have been getting prices together, and tracking down the 2 key pieces, the acrylic and the reflective foil edge tape.
The acrylic is super expensive, we are talking $8-900 a sheet, Im still checking to see if I can find it cheaper.

I dont think there will be high demand for these due to the cost.

I am trying to source an alternate acrylic that is similar and lower cost to try out as well.

just found out today that my chewlix already has led light for the marquee (it was not connected thus i did not realise it). If anyone want to take my spot for the preorder (1 unit), please let me know

just found out today that my chewlix already has led light for the marquee (it was not connected thus i did not realise it). If anyone want to take my spot for the preorder (1 unit), please let me know
No worries bro, Im not even sure these will fit a chewlix, cancelled and refunded :thumbup:

If someone wants to open their chewlix and verify the mounting bracket for the leds is there, we can see if it works. Plus I think on the chewlixs they just straight solder an led strip in there.

they actually zip tie it
999DDCFF-A12F-4C11-B328-71428EB39592.jpeg

Back