What's new
Do you still have that microSD card around? Could you dump it and share it with me?

Do you still have that microSD card around? Could you dump it and share it with me?
Hi Darksoft,

I have generated the content of a new CPS2 multi card as is from a Mac with all the hidden files (dot files).

The directory has been recompressed for transfer purpose :

https://1fichier.com/?1wl3otin3bm4206j9srf

Password : Darksoft

I haven't made an image of my SD Card because It has been already cleaned.

I hope It will help.

Hello chaps, posting for a bit of help if possible.

I've recently got my CPS2 Multi out of storage after a year or so (as I've been having so much fun with the CPS1 multi lol) and have run into some problems with it. It's an older multi bought from Saveyourgames around April 2019. I turned the cab on and was greeted with a red screen. I thought nothing of it as I remember having had that before in the past so just selected a new game to flash using the LCD. Successful flash message received but again a red screen. Was previously working absolutely fine using the encrypted roms as I have key wires soldered. Started reading through old posts on here and tried a couple of different things.

What I'm left with is some games produce a red screen, 1944 and 19XX from memory. Some games give a black screen. Some games will start the memory check and then freeze on the QSound check (SFAlpha 2 & 3 for example). SSFII X freezes after the Work RAM OK message is output on the screen. The SFII CE and Turbo conversions run but with no sound.

B Board was originally a SFZ and I think is a rev 7. I've tried reseating the A & B boards (I have clips and it has always made good connection before) and I have tried connecting without the B board top cover on to ensure good connection is being made.

What should I try next or what further information can I provide that might help? Sadly I don't have another A or B board to try. Based in Buckinghamshire in the UK.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello chaps, posting for a bit of help if possible.

I've recently got my CPS2 Multi out of storage after a year or so (as I've been having so much fun with the CPS1 multi lol) and have run into some problems with it. It's an older multi bought from Saveyourgames around April 2019. I turned the cab on and was greeted with a red screen. I thought nothing of it as I remember having had that before in the past so just selected a new game to flash using the LCD. Successful flash message received but again a red screen. Was previously working absolutely fine using the encrypted roms as I have key wires soldered. Started reading through old posts on here and tried a couple of different things.

What I'm left with is some games produce a red screen, 1944 and 19XX from memory. Some games give a black screen. Some games will start the memory check and then freeze on the QSound check (SFAlpha 2 & 3 for example). SSFII X freezes after the Work RAM OK message is output on the screen. The SFII CE and Turbo conversions run but with no sound.

B Board was originally a SFZ and I think is a rev 7. I've tried reseating the A & B boards (I have clips and it has always made good connection before) and I have tried connecting without the B board top cover on to ensure good connection is being made.

What should I try next or what further information can I provide that might help? Sadly I don't have another A or B board to try. Based in Buckinghamshire in the UK.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Try the Verify romset that is posted in this section, to check that the flashes are OK. Is this the older versio of the multi with long pins for main Multi PCB? If that's the case, check that they are all good.

I would also try first resetting the keys from B board, by shortcutting EXC5 as explained in the instructions. Then after that, try a game that doesnt need key injection, that should tell us good info about your issue.

Good luck.

Try the Verify romset that is posted in this section, to check that the flashes are OK. Is this the older versio of the multi with long pins for main Multi PCB? If that's the case, check that they are all good.

I would also try first resetting the keys from B board, by shortcutting EXC5 as explained in the instructions. Then after that, try a game that doesnt need key injection, that should tell us good info about your issue.

Good luck.
Hey DS, thanks for replying and sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have since aquired another A&B board to aid troubleshooting. I have tried a few things already, but before I go into detail, do I need to create a new thread with all my details or should I reply here?

This thread is for fixing cps2, so you are OK posting here.

Last edited:
Previously working setup:
JPN A Board (tested and working)
JPN B Board - suicided Street Fighter Zero, Rev 7 (unknown if now working as jumpers have been set for the multi and ROMS removed)
Darksoft CPS2 Multi, purchased in April 2019 from saveyourgames.it (old version, long pins, key writing wires soldered successfully)

When the multi was working, I had encrypted ROMs on the SD card and everything was functioning perfectly. I also had the CPS1 conversions running. Now, when selecting encrypted games I get the same issue described here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/cps2-b-board-does-not-boot.1577/ and the CPS1 games load and play, but have no sound.

I have tried unencrypted roms using the unencrypted rollup pack - none of these work, usually black screen, sometimes deep red. When trying these games, they flash OK but do not start. I disconnected the key writing wires by lifting the connector to CN9. The wires are still soldered at the other end to the multi. I did not fancy removing those!

I have copied the Testing folders for troubleshooting and ran both of those - no errors.

I have shorted EXC5 again, reformatted the SD card and copied both encrypted and unencrypted ROM sets and tried both again - still not working and presenting the same problem described above.

I have purchased another CPS2 setup to troubleshoot, which is:

Newly acquired setup:
JPN A Board (tested and working)
JPN B Board - Conversion to Aliens Vs Predator, Rev 4 (tested and working)

As it's a Rev 4 board it doesn't have the connector. The jumpers are configured for the AVP conversion - No battery.

What would you suggest I try next?

Thanks in advance, I really hope I can get this going again.

Andy

Hi guys, going to have some time to have another look at this at the weekend. Has anyone got any ideas?

Have a 2nd look at those jumpers. Sometimes it looks like they are not connected, but you need to test with a meter to be 100% sure. If I understood right, unencrypted games work, right? Then your problem is with the key writing. Can you post a picture of how you soldered those cables on both sides? Also a picture of the multi installed and a picture of the section of the multi where the cables are soldered would be good. Try looking for solder blobs that may have fallen during soldering, you wouldnt be the first, nor the 2nd that dropped accidentally a solder blob that is making things not work.

Thanks.

The jumpers were all checked when I did the installation. They were all checked for continuity and were all set correctly. This has worked flawlessly for years with encrypted ROMs. It is not a new installation. It is only now that it doesn't work.

Now encrypted games do not work, neither do unencrypted games.

I'll take some photos and will report back.

question for you guys: is there really any point having an sd card of 16go? planning to use the encrypted version of the games since there are more games than from the decrypted folder. 8go seems just more than enough already? if so, any recommended working sd card brand/specs? cheers planning to convert my cps2 donor board in the next 10 days or so :)

Original Samsung microSD are the best IMO. Just make sure it's SDHC and not SDXC type.

Original Samsung microSD are the best IMO. Just make sure it's SDHC and not SDXC type.
mummm 8go sdhc from samsung... that seems to be too of an antic to be easily found those days... do we know if the reader can take in a samsung SDHC of 32Go... even if this is way to bif, for 9EUR I can easily get one

Back