What's new

Strider999

Student
Reaction score
Ive been working on my own supergun design for a few years and its finally coming together. I'm calling it the Winchester and the goal is to create a supergun that is compact and functional by itself.
winPCB.png

image0.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image2.jpeg

The features are:
  • Component video encoding
    • LM1881 sync cleaning
    • THS7376 video amplification
    • potentiometers for adjusting RGB color
  • 20 Pin ATX power connector
    • INA260 monitoring for +5V and +12V for voltage and current
    • On/Off switch
    • power led
  • 2 USB ports
    • FE1.1s usb hub
    • MIC2026 usb power switch
  • Teensy 4.1
    • Reading usb controller inputs
    • Reading INA260 power status
    • Enable/Disable THS7376 low pass filter
    • Driving Oled status display
    • Mapping inputs to Jamma edge connector
  • JST-XH compatible kickharness
  • Expansion pins for A/V signals
For all the things that it does do, there are a few things that it does not do. First off, this is NTSC only. The BA7230LS chip is only for NTSC component output. Second, the jamma connector pin 26/d is not connected. When I was looking at the jamma spec, its not used for anything, but then I learned that multicart mvs and atomiswave do use this pin for input. It would be possible to solder bodge wires from the connector to the kickharness to enable those inputs if one needed them. And thirdly and the biggest omission from the board is that it lacks an audio circuit from the jamma edge connector. I went back and forth quite a bit on this one. The more modern Jamma compatible boards, like the CPS2/system 12/atomiswave/etc, have line audio out already. Some boards like the taito F3/ST-V/ZN-2 can use addons like the Everten boards to add line level rca audio connectors. So lets say none of those audio options are available, one could slap together some resistors and a mono/stereo switch and call it a day, some other people might prefer using an audio transformer instead. I felt that audio preference is so varied that it would be best to include the audio pins on the expansion header and let people use an audio hat of their choice if needed.

If I were to do a future revision of the board, I would like to replace the BA7230LS and the FE1.1s IC's. They are available through ebay and alibaba but they are not in production any more. I would like to only use parts available through distributors like digikey and mouser.

Switching over to the software side of things, things are in a pretty rough beginning state. The teensy is able to read the power levels, both usb ports output to the oled display and output the button presses. I was even able to play some CPS2 games with a ps3 controller last night. The top priority for me is finish getting controller support for ps3/ps4/ps5/xbox360/xboxone working. Then work on the oled screen designs. In the future I really want usb bluetooth dongle support for controllers, full button mapping config through the sdcard, and turbo button functionality.

Some of your may have noticed the open hardware logo on the pcb, I am planning on releasing the designs and software as open source. Once I get the teensy4.1 fully working with ps3/ps4/ps5/xbox360/xboxone controllers, I will release the pcb designs and software through my github. I will warn people now that this is not for novice diy solderers. Some of the ICs use .65mm pitch and can be tricky if you dont have experience soldering them.

EDIT: Update, I just made my repositories public. https://github.com/yoonjustin/WinchesterPCB is for the pcb and https://github.com/yoonjustin/Winchester is for the teensy code to handle the onboard systems. Something is a bit weird when plugging in PS3 controllers when a controller is already plugged in, it can cause the ports to lock up for some reason. I purchased a usb port power monitor to see if its power related. If you like this project and want to throw so coin my way my paypal is justin.yoon.1 (at) gmail.com

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

The image quality is actually pretty good on my crt. It would probably look better if I had my tv was serviced and properly tuned. Ill get around to it one of these days.

Last edited:
You gonna sell these?
I might sell a few. Buts its also part of the reason I want to release the designs and software to be open source, so Im not the only person making them and selling them. I also wish I had a case of some sort, to feel more like an actual product.

I just finished programming using PS4 and XboxOne controllers through usb. Im running into a strange issue where sometimes connecting a PS3 controller will lock up the usb hub and prevent controllers from working. Ill see how much progress I make over the weekend and see about releasing every thing next week.

Currently the known issues that Im having with the board are
  • PS3 controllers can sometimes lock up the USB ports when plugging in. Mostly happens when one controller is already plugged in and a PS3 controller is plugged in as player 2. The strange thing is that ps3 controllers work fine when using only using one in single player
  • PS4 controllers will light up with the correct led color when first plugged in, but if you unplug and replug in a PS4 controller the led color is not set.
  • The Hori RAP N fight stick will disconnect shortly after connecting
Using a usb port power monitor, I dont see anything wrong with the power going to the PS3 controller. If there are any USB protocol gurus out there, Id love to know if Im doing something incorrect with the hardware or software. I also thought I saw some information on the internet about how the Hori RAP N controller is looking for some system certificate in order to work properly. But I could be wrong.

So good news is I got usb bluetooth working with the supergun, and a ps4 controller working games. the bad news is that its not user friendly to pair, and sometimes ps4 controllers dont connect properly. I talked to the guys that wrote the teensy usb host bluetooth library and he said that they know that it doesnt work properly all the time. The implementation is pretty new and its only a few guys who are working on the software in their spare time. It looks like they are actively working on improving the USB joystick and USB bluetooth functionality, but for the time being, its is what it is.

Ill probably work on the winchester software from time to time, and keep an eye out for new improvements with the teensy platform. I might work on a custom JAMMA to JVS IO board in the mean time.....

Haha, this is one of those perfect examples of why re-reading a thread can be amazing - tucked away in your edit you had added the github repo and I missed that last time I read about this.

Thank you for sharing, Looking at it now

There is no upscaling. The output resolution will be whatever the input video signal resolution is. Most Jamma boards use the ~240p resolution so the component video will also be 240p from the BA7230LS. If you can find some Jamma game that outputs RGBS in 480p video signal, the BA7230LS can also handle that and output component video at that resolution.

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showt...nt-converter-design-using-the-BA7230LS/page34 In this thread you can see someone took the RGBS signal from a playstation 2 and was able to feed 1080i to the BA7230LS and it output the video just fine.

This is kinda cool!

Any chance of a version that also adds jvs support? Which leads me to how do you control voltage levels? I know ATX voltage levels are pretty steady, but some jamma boards need some voltage adjustability.

Thanks for sharing your design.

Any chance of a version that also adds jvs support? Which leads me to how do you control voltage levels? I know ATX voltage levels are pretty steady, but some jamma boards need some voltage adjustability.
I originally had no intention of adding JVS IO support when I designed the board. If I were, it would make the board a few inches wider to add the JVS power plug, RS485 port, and some switch to go between Jamma and JVS mode. Im not sure if its worth the effort, but I wouldnt entirely rule it out. As far as voltage adjusting goes, it would be easy enough to slap an adjustable voltage regulator on the board, but doing it safely, it gets a bit more involved. Im not sure how much more complicated the design would be with a built in boost-buck converter that can handle several amps worth of power. Or if its only necessary do be able to adjust just the 5V or the 12V as well.

I originally had no intention of adding JVS IO support when I designed the board. If I were, it would make the board a few inches wider to add the JVS power plug, RS485 port, and some switch to go between Jamma and JVS mode. Im not sure if its worth the effort, but I wouldnt entirely rule it out. As far as voltage adjusting goes, it would be easy enough to slap an adjustable voltage regulator on the board, but doing it safely, it gets a bit more involved. Im not sure how much more complicated the design would be with a built in boost-buck converter that can handle several amps worth of power. Or if its only necessary do be able to adjust just the 5V or the 12V as well.
Make sense. I really like this design, opens up a lot of possibilities. Ill try to build it one of these days unless the world runs out of components altogether :D

Back