What's new
Tubeswap time!
Finding a proper 68 cm tube in Norway is next to impossible, so I was intrigued when this badboy popped up on Norwegian Craigslist a couple of months ago.
IMG_2726.jpeg
IMG_2727.jpeg

A Radionette RN29H30T.
Radionette is a Norwegian/ Swedish brand known for making radios in the 50’s/60’s, but they also made some OK TV’s in the middle of the 90’s. I actually had the same model when I was a teenager, so thought that was fun.

I took a chance on this due to the 29 in the model number and was pleasantly surprised that it actually had a 68cm tube inside. Not the best tube…. But still better than a soon to be dead Tosh-tube.
IMG_2729.jpeg

IMG_2728.jpeg

Now it was time to do some major surgery.
I had a backup Tosh tube in the basement with crazy burn in from 3rd strike, Dungeons and Dragons + lots of other games I couldn’t identify, but it had the proper cage and most importantly… A MS9 yoke.

IMG_2724.jpeg

I have never done a complete tubeswap before, but after just 4 screws, the cage was loose.
IMG_2725.jpeg

Dismantling the Radionette TV was also easy. Tubes are fucking heavy, but all in all smooth sailing.
IMG_2730.jpeg

Lots of nice spare parts to salvage from the chassis and some pretty nice shielded speakers that will most likely be used in my cocktail table (Best kitchen table ever 😁)

LG tube from Radionette TV installed in Tosh-cage. Was a perfect fit!

IMG_2731.jpeg

IMG_2738.jpeg
Removed the convergence rings and the yoke. Came off without much fuzz.

IMG_2739.jpeg

And installed the MS9 yoke using the original spacers as a temporary template. I kept the original convergence rings, since they felt a million time more sturdy than the MS9 rings I had as a backup.

Hooked up a spare MS9 chassis and was ready to test my work.
IMG_2740.jpeg

Looked like shit, but nothing exploded. Success 🤘🏻

IMG_2741.jpeg

Time to calibrate that yoke for some hopefully decent results. A big ass mirror is a must!
Bald and beautiful BuddyC as a bonus 🥳
IMG_2743.jpeg

After many hours of fucking micro adjustments, second guessing myself, OSD levels of calibration ,creative cursing and being dangerously close to electrocuting myself and the wife…. We have some pretty pleasant results

IMG_2744.jpeg

Not perfect, but pretty ok for a first time tube swap (Pats himself on the back)

I tested it with a MS9 without the G1 mod, so I am sure focus will be a little better when I install a proper MS9 chassis. Still… I am quite happy with the results.
I would call this a success and feels quite nice to have a decent backup 🤘🏻

IMG_2747.jpeg

IMG_2746.jpeg

IMG_2748.jpeg

IMG_2751.jpeg

IMG_2753.jpeg

IMG_2754.jpeg

Good result! Not sure if it's best to keep the rings that go with the yoke or the rings that go with the crt for the best outcome. I can't remember the last time I saw a 29" 4:3 TV come up for sale local to me, I could do with a 29" pureflat of some description to replace the Hitachi CRT I accidentally necked in my storage unit a few years ago!

Back