What's new

weirdal1968

Beginner
Reaction score
Everything I've read here says error 26 is a pic security chip issue but I'm running a zero pic/CF firmware/512mb CF card/one 512mb DIMM with the appropriate MKGP file.

Running two linked Mario Kart GP cabinets using the zero pic, CF firmware and CF-IDE adapter. After working perfectly for a few weeks one TF3 boardset would sometimes throw an error 26 at first boot of the day but if you waited a bit then cycled the power it would work. Now it will sometimes throw the error during a linked game and possibly crash the other cabinet due to a linking error. If I run the faulty cabinet alone it might allow you to start a game but soon after the race starts the screen blanks then gives you error 26.

Checked both 5v and 3.3v, swapped zero pic and RAM from working cabinet with no change. Reseated the media board/CPU connectors as well.

Anything else to check before I send it off for repairs? Electrolytics?

Triforces definitely need to be recapped by now. I have four in use and I had all sorts of issues before recapping them.

Especially if the issue is sporadic, like yours is, I would start with replacing the capacitors.

It was Ken of ifixsega who pointed me in the right direction.

Ken said an error 26 can be either pic or memory card if using the cf hack. Swapped parts around with the other working TF3 until the other boardset 26ed. When I moved the cf-ide-512mb between the systems the error would follow. Swapped the adapter board but nothing changed. Now it was definitely the card.

Now it gets weird - the cabinet that was reliably 26ing started working over the last weekend and it hasn't faulted since. The only thing that could possibly be affecting it besides phase of the moon is the temp in his arcade was slightly cooler for a couple weeks during a cold snap here in the US midwest.

Ordering a new 1gb card to program in case the error returns.

Last edited:
Back