What's new

saucydaddy

Student
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I recently picked up a taito type x from someone here. Unfortunately the CPU pins were bent so I had to realign them with a credit card but I think it's working now (never done that before lol). The issue is I'm not sure how to fully verify that this is working properly. It now boots up and stays booted up but now I get to the JVS I/O error which I'm assuming is because I don't have a proper input connected?

I watched this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSkUwBJf_E4
and picked up a Tuscon Logic board since it seemed the best way to test this quickly and cheaply.
https://tucsonlogic.com/

I tried connecting the logic board to a micro-usb power supply that's plugged into the wall and the data usb connected to the TTX. I didn't have any pins wired up but was hoping that wasn't necessary to get it to work. Does anyone know if this would work or another solution/product to quickly test that the system actually works? I don't have a proper cab to test this with (it's on the way) but I have buttons and wires.

Let me know if you need more information or anything, thanks

Man so finding info on this isn't as straight forward as I thought. I'm guessing this JVS Bridge just wont work, I just tested with ground and 2 buttons like start and punch 1 connections. I'll try emailing them and see if they know too.

IMG_20210916_105321.jpg

IMG_20210916_095348.jpg

I plan on getting this when I get my cabinet in so I can connect it to JAMMA since I'm not sure if the Capcom I/O converter would work or maybe just get both I don't know.
https://www-tops--game-jp.translate...x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=ajax,sc,elem

On your last picture there… how are you powering the IO?

The video I watched didn't show it plugged into any power source so I thought maybe it got power from the JVS I/O usb connection.
I just retried with it connected to a USB power (https://www.aukey.com/products/aukey-usb-wall-charger-4-ports-with-foldable-plug) and the micro usb plugged in. Switched the buttons to be on Service and Test but still seeing the same error.

JVS error
no I/O board detected
check I/O connection and restart unit

Is this an error with the bridge or maybe theres a loose connection with the actual machine's I/O board?

I'll update with some photos of the connections of the I/O board

It may be a compatibility issue… I tried an earlier revision of the JVS bridge and don’t think my TTX liked it. You don’t have anything else to test it on?

Unfortunately i don't have anything else to test on, just started getting into the arcade world. I'll have a jamma cabinet in a few weeks but not sure that fixes anything since I don't have a JVS to jamma converter.

Is there anything else that i could use to test in the mean time?

The IO by itself isn’t going to do much… you could try a different USB A-B cable… and you do have it plugged into the correct JVS port on the TTX right?

Hmm I think I have everything plugged in correctly and tried a new usb cord. I wonder if I need more buttons wired up but figured that wasn't super necessary.

IMG_20210916_164655.jpg

That all looks to be wired correctly.
Given that you are receiving a ‘No IO board detected’ error, either the TTX isn’t compatible with the IO Bridge or there is a deeper issue with either the TTX or IO bridge units themselves.
Unfortunately this usually just means you need to try with a different mainboard or IO to rule out faulty hardware…
Not sure if you know anyone you can borrow a different IO from, or if someone else has tested a TTX with the Tucson Logic IO bridge before…

Ok well I'll have to wait a few weeks and see when I get my cabinet in. I'll pick up one of the Sega JVS I/O with a JAMMA edge and update the results.

Thanks again for the help

Jumping in here to say I just bought a JVS Bridge for a project to mount a Naomi into a PC case with all the additional required hardware and this board sounded like a perfect alternative to the large Sega I/O. I have encountered a couple issues and have emailed the address noted on the documentation, which does come with the board but for some reason is not on the website. A few posts here and the previously mentioned YouTube video were about all I could find on this board so I thought I'd add some more information about my experience so far.

My Naomi is not recognizing the I/O board. Verifying power to the board has to be done with a multimeter, as there is no power LED. I verified there is 5v from my micro USB wall plug. My hope is that the issue is caused by the board being shipped without firmware loaded but I'm not going to flash it until I hear back from my email asking the question.

Another big question came to me while I was reading the documentation about the pin assignments, what about coin meter spoofing? As many know, and many probably don't, the Naomi and some other JVS platforms have games that won't run if the system doesn't detect a physical coin meter. To get around this on a Sega JVS/IO, you can run a wire with 5v to the pins associated with the coin meters with a 100ohm resistor in between to fool the system into thinking there are coin meters attached.

The JVS Bridge does not have any pins assigned to coin meters. Is this handled in the firmware and if not can it be updated to change two of the existing pins to be coin meter pins and if so, would you just connect one of the 5v pins to the coin meter pin with a resistor like on a Sega JVS/IO? Has anyone else who's using this board with a Naomi been able to get Shikigami no Shiro II to run? I seem to remember that it requires 1 or even 2 coin meters. I don't know how many games require coin meters to run but I'd rather not use this board if it means that I'll be limited to which games will run.

I received a reply email. They flash the firmware and test on a Naomi before shipping them. They suspect it may have been damaged in shipping. There didn't appear to be any physical damage to the box or PCB but who knows.
I went ahead and flashed the firmware just to see if it would fix anything, and that went without a hitch but it still isn't being recognized by my Naomi. I then swapped it back to the Sega I/O and that came right up.

They aren't aware of the coin meter issue but can alter the firmware. I'll continue to post updates.

To make a long story short, one of the 3 Naomi's I tested the JVS Bridge with doesn't recognize it but the other 2 do. The coin meter spoofing is also a non issue as Sikigama No Shiro 2 loads and runs fine right out of the box.

The guys from Tucson Logic have great customer service even though I ended up tracking down the issue with my own testing.

The longer story is that the one Naomi that doesn't recognize the JVS Bridge is the one out of 4 I own that was on my work bench. I swapped power supplies for the Naomi, powered the JVS Bridge from a different power supply, tried different Net Dimm's set for compact flash and netbooting with no luck.

I then pulled out a different Naomi and it worked with the same multiple power supplies and net dimm's. I got a 3rd and it also worked. I ran out of steam and didn't check the 4th yet, or see what's different about the one that didn't like the JVS Bridge but is fine with a Sega I/O.

Back