What's new

UenoArcade

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm located in California but have lived in Japan for 10 years so I got accustomed to Japanese arcades. My favorite one was in Ueno, hence my username. I built a MAME arcade cabinet 20 years ago and I've been itching to get back into it. It was a full size cabinet with Happ joysticks and buttons. An Oscar spinner and some trackball. I really liked the Ultimarc PS2 iPac2. I think it was running groovy mame to a 27" CRT with S-Video so I could use ACT-Labs light guns. I'm surprised to see Mamewah, my frontend, is still around!

Anyway, back to 2022, I have 2 young kids and they are into these short games we can play together so I wanted to build an arcade cabinet but I lack the time and didn't want the kids to be propped up on a chair or stool to play/see what's happening. I decided to go with a Vewlix and discovered some clones called Chewlix. I did my research and it seems like there are two Chewlix models - a 1:1 repro still using Chinese Jamma (Chamma) and a much cheaper model that looks like a Vewlix. A used Vewlix was vetoed by my Japanese wife who didn't want a used arcade at home despite the cleaning I promised to do. I guess we know why they aren't popular as home machines in Japan... Here are the differences:
chewlix.jpeg

So I decided to purchase the 1:1 clone with the caveat that it comes wired for Chamma with a junk Pandora EX2 4300-in-1 box. I heard it's not built as strong as the ones I'm used to but this is for a residential environment. I upgraded the monitor to 1080p w/ HDMI. It also comes with Sanwa buttons&sticks and this encoder for PC play but I'm not expecting it to be awesome
2pboard.jpeg

This is the color scheme I ended up ordering
mycolor.jpeg

It was $1,500 + $45 payment fee to Alibaba to have the cabinet shipped directly to my door. They use the "Trade Assurance" program which provides some protection and if that fails, my credit card should help. The cab is being built/assembled and should be here in 50-70 days.

This cabinet is for casual family fun and to let me play some games from when I was younger. That said, I'm a geek and I want to make it fun and usable. So here is my plan for the cabinet:
  • Get Vewlix stickers to put on the cabinet. My wife is Japanese and was amused by the idea of having a Japanese cab in our house. I think the stickers will add a nice touch for her. Problem is I don't know what vendor to order from since all the recommendations I get go to empty Etsy pages.
  • Use 100Y coin as tokens. Initially I wanted to have a custom batch of 1,000 tokens made but we have a lot of 100 yen coins laying around from our yearly trips to Japan. For those who have never been, Japan is very much a cash society. They are transitioning to digital contactless payment but seem to have skipped the credit/debit card era except for large department tores
  • White LED strips for the move list panel between the control panel and the monitor. Something hard-wired to the PSU.
  • Speaking of move list, I want to add the game-specific artwork to the cabinet and I'm not sure what seller to use. I think seiiseiiseii2000 on eBay is highly recommended?
  • Replace the fans if they are noisy. Loud fans mean I need to raise the volume, and annoy a higher radius at home.
An these are the options I'm considering and need input from the community:
  • An encoder. I suspect we will outgrow the Pandora box very soon; especially since the front-end is very basic and won't impress the kids. I see the Brook UFB is often recommended. I was also considering the I-PAC ultimate IO board because I can program it, it can support LEDs (if I ever change the buttons), shift-keys are appealing so I can keep the CP stock, and their reputation. Thoughts?
  • Frontend/Compute. I see using a used TTX3 is popular here and I can certainly get one in Japan over Xmas but I would also need to get a wiring kit and encoder for FastIO. I'm leaning toward using Bigbox on an AMD CPU with an iGPU built-in.
  • Convert Chamma to something that can play 1990s JAMMA boards. And add something to switch between the PC input and the JAMMA board so I can go back and forth. I want to purchase a Capcom CP2 SF2 Turbo while I'm in Japan. Is it worth the hassle to have a cab that can do both PC and JAMMA (+ kick harness)? I love the idea to play on the original PCB and the cab comes with a 15khz JAMMA adapter but I realize it's going to be on LCD anyway so maybe I'm letting my sentimental memories get in the way of practicality.
Thanks everyone for reading this thread and helping me!

You can get the stickers to print in the artwork section. Seiiseiiseii is great for game artwork, ive bought from him before. I highly reccomend.

I didn't realize there was a Vewlix clone variant that allowed monitor rotation. Good to know. FWIW my used Diamond Orange arrived clean as a whistle. I took it all apart and found I hardly had to clean it at all.

Can you recommend the seller you bought from? I'd like to see if they can finally solve the "getting a fake vewlix to the east coast and not going broke" problem that caused me to stop looking a few years back.
Going to watch this thread and see what you end up with!

Can you recommend the seller you bought from?
I'd be more comfortable doing a public endorsement after I receive and test the cabinet. PM me if you can't wait but my machine is still in China. ETA is end of Feb.

That documentation looks like what I was provided from Chino Chan, a user that operates out of the Vewlix/Chewlix Facebook groups. The company name appeared to be something along the lines of "Guangzhou Animation" or something similar.
If it's the same seller I can definitely vouch for the product as I just received two last month.
As home use units the quality is fantastic, I'd trust these to last a lifetime with minimal maintenance.

IMO since you're getting a Chewlix and not a Vewlix with an IO, just skip the TTX3 and build a more modern decent PC for 1080p. As for the front end, I personally use BigBox and it works great in a cabinet - importing games is easy and it scrapes all the artwork/data from various sources to make everything look nice.

I would also recommend Brook boards for the controls. However, unless you want to run game consoles in the cabinet, you don't need the UFB model. If you just use PC you could get a Zero Pi model for about 1/4 the price. If you want to keep the JAMMA wiring but still use Brook boards, psychic drive makes a Brook to jamma adapter that does the job.
You can get a JNX atlas adapter on ebay to convert the CHAMMA standard (which your Chewlix uses) to JAMMA for any boards you want to use. Also includes a plug for CPS2 kick harness.

Lastly, if you decide to make the effort to run original hardware, I would recommend a scaler such as an OSSC to make all the 15khz stuff look nice on a LCD.

That documentation looks like what I was provided from Chino Chan, a user that operates out of the Vewlix/Chewlix Facebook groups. The company name appeared to be something along the lines of "Guangzhou Animation" or something similar.
You are correct. This is from Chino and I found him on Facebook. My Alibaba order points me to this model. These are the upgrades I ordered along side the cab:
  • HDMI port with 3.5mm audio connector;
  • adapter for PS3/4 and PC games
  • 20 piece tokens. I'm told they sent 32...
I have yet to receive the cab but did receive videos and pictures. See below for an update

modern decent PC for 1080p
That's what I ended up doing. I went with a small form factor PC with an integrated GPU. See below for more specs
you could get a Zero Pi model for about 1/4 the price.
There's even an easy version with screw terminals. Do these show up as xbox gamepads under Windows? I see the "Home" terminal is listed as "XBOX" in the PC column. One reason I was interested in the iPac is for the "shift" function it provides. For example, I can hold the P1 start button and press Button 1 to pause the game.
JNX atlas adapter
It's not listed on his eBay profile so I emailed the guy. Thanks!
scaler such as an OSSC to make all the 15khz stuff look nice on a LCD.
Supposedly, the Chewlix comes with a 15kHz adapter.

PC for emulation
Amazon has the Beelink SER5 5560U on sale for $350. I added a Samsung 2TB external drive for $189 to store games. The strong embedded GPU was a strong selling point. It benchmarks very well for an APU. It came with a Windows 11 license, 16GB of ram and a 500GB SSD.

I set up LaunchBox/BigBox, mainly because I already had a license. The install went well but I am somewhat annoyed that there's no "retry" when it fails to download some medias. After downloading box art, videos, etc all night, it had a few "timed out". It did offer me to review the list but a "Retry all" would've been accepted. I ended up doing a media refresh on the whole library, which took some time but thankfully it didn't try to re-download everything.

Performance-wise, I'm happy with it. I initially set it up on a 4k monitor because my cab isn't here yet but shaders slowed down the games. After switching to a 1080p monitor, I'm able to use crt-easymode and even the Mega Bezel shaders without any slowdowns. I've been playing a few games with a controller already and it's really fun!

There's even an easy version with screw terminals. Do these show up as xbox gamepads under Windows? I see the "Home" terminal is listed as "XBOX" in the PC column. One reason I was interested in the iPac is for the "shift" function it provides. For example, I can hold the P1 start button and press Button 1 to pause the game.

Yes, these have x-input support, so they will be recognized as a Xbox gamepad in Windows. This is pretty important if you want to play steam games since a lot of them are x-input only nowadays.

As for hotkeys/shortcuts, most of the software has that ability already. You can set hotkey scripts in launchbox, RetroArch, mame, etc.

You are correct. This is from Chino and I found him on Facebook. My Alibaba order points me to this model. These are the upgrades I ordered along side the cab:
  • HDMI port with 3.5mm audio connector;
  • adapter for PS3/4 and PC games
  • 20 piece tokens. I'm told they sent 32...
I have yet to receive the cab but did receive videos and pictures. See below for an update

He's an excellent contact, I was super impressed with his ability to answer my questions and offer support during the ordering process.

After my first months with the cabs there are only a few things I'd immediately change in my experience.

The Jamma to PS3/4 USB adapter deal is great if all you plan to use is MAME or emulators, but for some odd reason whenever I would open Steam it would scramble the controls randomly, even using the Steam remapping utility the controls were only good until I rebooted. I gave up trying to fight that and switched to Brook Zero-Pi adapters in both of my cabs.
The slight tolerance gaps where metal on metal contact was made between things like the front panel, coin door, and locking rear panel meant that if the machine was jostled they would rattle. This was a super easy and cheap fix, I used some adhesive-backed foam rubber insulation strip (1/16" thick by 1/4" wide) between these surfaces. Immediately eliminated the rattle issues.
The HDMI in was a great choice, because on top of the cost of the cabs and the initial upgrades I'm not trying to ball out on new monitors just yet, but the 3.5 out wound up being pretty lame. The sound out was pretty grainy and awful and there seemed to be a bit of delay. I just ran a male to male between my PC and the amp which improved things greatly.
And If your monitors arrive and are incredibly dark by default too you can pretty easily reach the controls on the side by removing the upper rear panel. Everything is in Chinese, but with enough fiddling it's not half bad to tune the settings.
Otherwise everything else has been fantastic with the units, I think you'll be really impreseed, the entire gang at my place has had a blast running Street Fighter and Tekken shoulder to shoulder on physical cabs.

I haven't made any posts yet, but I'm deep into taking turns gutting and rewiring the units.
Which reminds me, be careful with the MDF rear speaker panels if you plan to replace the audio the little brad-nailed tabs they screw into are the only things on the unit so far I'd call fragile.

Last edited:
I keep seeing these photos and videos that seem to have no rear screen panel or case panel – I assume that it’s simply removed while they’re working on it right?

Also, no part of the externals of this specific cabinet type is MDF right? I’m asking because you mention rear speaker panels?

I keep seeing these photos and videos that seem to have no rear screen panel or case panel – I assume that it’s simply removed while they’re working on it right?

Also, no part of the externals of this specific cabinet type is MDF right? I’m asking because you mention rear speaker panels?
Correct!
Those are just popped out for the sake of showcasing things.

The only MDF that exists in these cabinets are typically the interior shelves and the 4 speaker enclosures around the monitor.

The cabinet should be unloaded on US soil now! For those who like stats, it took a 20 day trip across the Pacific across the "Cosco Englang" container ship.
port.png

I believe it was loaded at the Yantian port. Since the boat has already left the US, I assume it was unloaded and it's now waiting for customs.After customs, it will go to a warehouse for people and freight companies to pick the individual crates. I should have a crate in my garage in 10 days.

That's an awesome feeling man, your wait is almost over, I'm psyched to see the updates once you've got it cracked open!

Ordered two from Chino and I must say, communication has been great so far. They were just boxed so I still got a month or so before they arrive, but super excited.

Hope you guys get yours soon! Super tempting.. I'm thinking about getting one and just using it for PC/PS5. @Odwalla , any thoughts on monitor replacement yet? Seem feasible or necessary? I'd like something with 166Hz+ refresh rate and maybe 2k if it isn't too expensive. How are the electronics overall? Wondering if I should ask about having it shipped without a monitor or electronics, just install a monitor and audio amp myself and throw in some Brook boards.

How do the buttons and sticks seem, genuine Sanwa? I'd probably just source those myself too. Anyone try a genuine or Alberto repro control panel, or do the ones they ship witth look good enough? I've heard that there's lots of variability in Chewlix control panel quality.

Edit: don't wanna hijack @UenoArcade 's thread any more than I already have, but assuming the cab is similar to the one from this video (it references the Vewlix group Chino seems to post in), it looks like a monitor swap is pretty straightforward. I think I'd go for something similar to the video, so a cab with no monitor/speakers/buttons/wiring/PSU should work. Just have to figure out an audio solution that's compatible with PS5. Audio splitter of some sort so I can redirect the audio to the external speakers would probably do it.

Last edited:
Back