What's new

cyllboy

Student
Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the parts in the photo. Have you any Idea about? What is this component? (the board is sega titan video)

What is the contemporary part I need to order? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 90
Hi, I don't have the entire answer, but can tell you that they probably are EMI filters since they are all over each pin of the different ports of the STV board, also they look pretty much the same as the ones some Sega Genesis boards have just after the controllers connectors (photo). I would just bypass the ones missing, or, desolder some from an unused port, if any, and put them were you have them missing

I confirm they are EMI filters: were produced by TAYO YUDEN, TOKIN and others and were largerly used in all sega consoles. Probably I need to find a donor board.
For bypassing do you intend patching the board vias in some way or simply desolder them? The missing ones are connected to pins of ports I do not need to connect... I would leave them as they are, since there is no signal to protect. What do you think?

Last edited:
If the signal went through the filter, and if the filter is missing, then you would need to bypass it by joining the pins that the filter connects (as a quick fix while you don't have a replacement filter), but, if the filter is connected to the signal and then to ground (like it seems from the picture), then you don't need to bypass anything, because the signal will reach its destination regardless of the filter presence.

Anyways, if the missing filters are on unused ports then you don't need to replace o bypass them since they are unused, nothing bad will happen.

If the signal went through the filter, and if the filter is missing, then you would need to bypass it by joining the pins that the filter connects (as a quick fix while you don't have a replacement filter), but, if the filter is connected to the signal and then to ground (like it seems from the picture), then you don't need to bypass anything, because the signal will reach its destination regardless of the filter presence.

Anyways, if the missing filters are on unused ports then you don't need to replace o bypass them since they are unused, nothing bad will happen.

Thank you very much for your support! I will do as you suggested!

Back