What's new

Hackcell

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting a daytona 2 twin (no game pcb) quite cheap. As there is no game, I'm thinking in upgrading the cabinet and install a couple of chihiros to play Outrun 2. I think the biggest struggle would be to find the right motors to be used for force feedback. The original D2 motors are there, nevertheless I don't think the voltage is the same than the ones used by O2. Speaching of which, I haven't found the values for the O2 feedback motor.

Any suggestion or feedback concerning my project will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

But that wouldn't be an upgrade.

What is it missing? Just the Model 3 PCBs?

While this isn't what you're asking, I agree with @nem, it'd be a massive downgrade! Outrun 2 is great of course, but Daytona 2 is an incredible game with no home port. If the FFB is intact it'd especially be worth sourcing, because it's what makes Daytona 2 so amazing. It feels like you're really fighting the wheel like nothing else, and it's one of the best arcade racers ever made. It'd be a shame to convert it to another O2 when there are so many versions of it around IMO.

Would be way better to convert a jvs cabinet instead.
Kart Racing or Initial D or F355 for example.
That way you can have an already cabled cabinet.
Model3 is totally different cablage (apart from the steering unit).

OR2 Twin requires specialized hardware that may or may not be present/compatible in your cabs. I'm not familiar with D2 hardware so just throwing it out there for you to do further research.

- VGA monitor (not sure if D2 is medium res and/or if they have tri-sync monitors)
- FFB (as you mention) but you can turn that off
- I/O 837-13551-92
- Network hubs

I'd say the consensus here is "restore the Daytona 2 and f*ck the O2!"
I'd need to look for the Model 3 boards :)

OR

I can fully restore 1 and install a chihiro in the second D2 cabinet...

Last edited:
Daytona USA 2 boards aren't that expensive. Cheaper than getting it setup for Chihiro anyway.

Youre also going to need sun psus to run the Chihiros.
That's one thing that probably wouldn't need to be replaced. Model 3 PSU should run a Chihiro just fine.

Anyway, keep it as a Daytona USA 2. It's an amazing game.

Back