What's new

UNCONKABLE!!!!

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey All,

I really wanted to find a way to add a wireless phone charger to my Vewlix F where it would still retain its default appearance. I originally wanted to try to get it installed in my Nesica card reader. Here are some of the things I learned in case anyone else wants to give it a try and/or improve upon it.

The first thing I did was buy a CHOETECH Wireless Charger 2 Pack from Amazon. This was because I was absolutely sure I was going to break one of them in trying to make this work. I chose these since they had a small vid in the listing showing the internal components, and they looked small enough that there could be a chance they could fit.
Wireless Charger.JPG

I then found that I could unstick the bottom four soft pieces on the bottom of the white wireless charger, so it was pretty easy to unscrew the screws underneath and pop it open.
Only the white one has screws.JPG

Funny enough, the black wireless charger does not have screws under its four soft pads. I later had to use pliers to force it open. I was lucky that I opened the easier one first and understood where everything was at inside so I could brute force the second open.

Here is what the internal components of the charger look like
Wireless Internal Components.JPG

I then removed the mini boards from the bottom of the Nesica card reader. Unfortunately the four larger white screw columns were too close together in the middle for this wireless charger board to be close enough to the top of the plastic for the phone to be read. I elevated the white coil a bit to meet the ceiling of the Nesica card reader, and while it worked initially, it eventually became unstable and broke. I was not willing to damage the underside housing of the Nesica card reader, so I scrapped that idea for now.

I then was able to procure a card reader panel cover thanks to some generous folks
Panel cover.JPG

The problem was that the underside of this particular one has a bunch of ribbing. This prevents the card reader from being close enough to the plastic, especially when it is plugged in. The fat part of the plug extends quite far, so I had to take a knife and hollow out an angled space so it could sit flush against the ceiling.
Underside ribbing hollowed o out.JPG

After a number of adjustments, I was able to get it to fit like a glove

Fits like a glove.JPG

Got it all plugged in and it works. I love that the default look is retained (ignore the extra button panel, haha), and that I can just set my phone on it to charge it up.

We did it!.JPG

Short term:

1) Slow charging. I suspect that part of this is due to the plastic being super thick as I tested charge time of laying my phone on the factory wireless charger, laying it on the wireless charger components after they were removed from the housing, and finally after laying it on this panel. It is still fast enough for me, though.
2) I need to lay my phone at an angle that matches the wireless charger board underneath for it to work. I can live with this since I love the new functionality, but will continue to look for a solution which allows me to more leniently lay my phone on it. Note: I have a phone case with a credit card, debit card, driver's license, and another card in a plastic holder on the back, so all of this madness may also making it harder to read. Basically, your mileage may vary here.

Long term:

1) It could negatively affect my monitor, but I currently have the default monitor replaced with a nice crisp LG, so I will keep an eye on it over time.
2) I am looking at a way to insulate the plastic panel. I may put a layer of thin rubber between the charger and the panel ceiling.

I hope folks found this helpful!

Good work, it would be interesting to see what other things could be added to the Vewlix, I have seen USB chargers, extra buttons, joystick sockets and now a phone charger.

What next I wonder?

Back