What's new
Well, I've got no way to check the voltages right now, I left my volt meter at my parents' house.
And though I'm not 100% convinced that my ATX PSU is to blame, it was working fine two days ago after all, I went ahead and ordered a SUN PSU.

I just have a quick question about connecting the SUN to a wall socket, or in my case a step down converter. Could I just use one of these cables, chop off the connector on the SUN PSU and the female connector on the power cord I linked to, and just solder the two ends together?

Yes, but the "chopped connector" at PSU side has only two wires, you need to connect the earth to the PSU chassis (there's a screw for that)

Last edited:
where in germany are you living?

I have some JVS PSUs for Naomi, so if you live close to Frankfurt I could help you with the tracing of the issue ;)

Unfortunately I live a good 500 to 600 km away, in Potsdam, just outside Berlin. Unless you meant Frankfurt/Oder :)

Well, I've got no way to check the voltages right now, I left my volt meter at my parents' house.
And though I'm not 100% convinced that my ATX PSU is to blame, it was working fine two days ago after all, I went ahead and ordered a SUN PSU.

I just have a quick question about connecting the SUN to a wall socket, or in my case a step down converter. Could I just use one of these cables, chop off the connector on the SUN PSU and the female connector on the power cord I linked to, and just solder the two ends together?
Once, I had a regular Dimm. I thought it wasn't working. All I was getting was a black screen. I was mad because I bought it untested and overpaid for it along with a mainboard. I tried the Dimm on other mainboards, same story. The whole while, I was using an ATX PSU. Then I got a Sun PSU and decided to power it up again to see if I got different results. After volt metering the Sun PSU and hooking it up to what I thought was a dead Naomi and Dimm, it fired right up.

I know your situation is different in that it was once working until you fiddled with the RAM amount. But always rule out power issues first. The Naomi is notoriously finicky about power. I have 3 or 4 threads started on this forum just asking about Naomi power.

Dunno about your wiring question though. I am in the US. We feed AC right into the PSU. No need for a stepdown.

I got my SUN psu today. But when I hooked it all up I was once again greeted by the dreaded black screen. I also tried booting the naomi with just the Netdimm's daughter board, which also resulted in a black screen. So I guess the daughter board is faulty.

Can anyone confirm whether the regular dimm's and the net dimm's daughter boards are interchangeable?

The bottom board is the same. The daughterboard determines whether it is a regular dimm or a netdimm.

And the disappointment continues. I just got a new confirmed working NetDimm and when I insert it into my Naomi 2 I'm once again greeted by the all too familiar black screen.

The good news is that now that I've replaced the PSU and the NetDimm, the least likely candidate, the mother board itself, has to be what is causing the black screen.

Does anyone, preferably from Germany, have a spare Naomi 2 they could sell me?

EDIT: Nvm, I got one on the cheap from YAJ.

Last edited:
Back