What's new

Jetfxer

Beginner
Reaction score
I recently purchased a midway cabinet that was converted to a sega naomi system. I would like to run a Pandora Box in the cabinet. Do I need to rip the Naomi system out? Can I use anything from It? Suggestions would be appreciated.

We need more information about how it was "converted" (pictures ideally). chances are they just used a Capcom or Sega JAMMA converter in which case all you'd need to do is unplug that and plug in the Pandora's Box.

here are a few pics.

Attachments

• 20160813_143146-600x1067.jpg
    20160813_143146-600x1067.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 91
  • PSX_20160815_134548-480x852.jpg
    PSX_20160815_134548-480x852.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 102
I recently purchased a midway cabinet that was converted to a sega naomi system. I would like to run a Pandora Box in the cabinet. Do I need to rip the Naomi system out? Can I use anything from It? Suggestions would be appreciated.
That big black connector plugged into the side of the green PCB is the JAMMA connector, you'll unplug that and then plug it into your Pandora's box. you can pretty much remove everything on that piece of MDF as that is all NAOMI hardware, the NAOMI Mother board, JVS Power supply, Sega JVS to JAMMA adapter, Sega NAOMI Audio amp and the Audo Amp Power Transformer.

The NAOMI unit here has it's own JVS power supply, it's unclear if the original cabinet Power supply is present and if not how the power wiring in the cabinet has been modified. Is there another metal box on the bottom of the cabinet that's not in the picture? If it's missing and the original power connectors are in-tact your best bet is to pick up a new Midway Power Supply as I would suspect adapting the JVS power supply would be difficult for you.

This is the only thing on the bottom of the cabinet. I believe it to be the original power supply, I'm probably wrong though..

Attachments

• 20160813_143210-600x1067.jpg
    20160813_143210-600x1067.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 86
that's the AC power block, the big coil on top is the "isolation transformer" for A/C power going to the monitor. the metal box below it is just a grounding plate. all those green/yellow wires bolted to it are earth grounds that are routed to all of the metal parts in the machine. this also likely holds the AC power filter and the main and monitor fuses.

ok. My buddy thinks he can help me to use the jvs power supply to run the pandora box.

Any suggestions on what to do with the naomi stuff? I guess I could keep it? I have a feeling this may not be my only cabinet....

Check the games it can play, if you like what you see, keep it. If not, someone will buy it depending on condition.

To be honest I'd rather play NAOMI games than a Pandora's box, but that's just me.

if you do wire up the NAOMI PSU as a permanent solution in that cabinet DO NOT cut up any of the wires on it, those are rather expensive and difficult to come by... the PSU is worth more than the NAOMI motherboard; depending on what cart is in there it could be the most valuable part of that whole setup (they run in the $75-$100 range).

By comparison a normal arcade PSU runs $15-$30 new so if it were me I would not be keeping the NAOMI PSU in the cab unless I planned to swap the NAOMI back in there from time to time.

I would recommend following the power wires on the JAMMA connector and see where they go, this should be the thick black and red wires on the far ends of the connector.

Back