What's new

300wins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the official firmware for the 3 video cards that the X3 has. I haven't seen any different video cards than these 3. If there are, please let me know and I can update the thread. These firmware was extracted from official Taito Type X3 machine and NOT some aftermarket card or anything. There are different games that these cards can come in, I just listed which game I extracted the firmware from. Big thanks to @adgenet

Model 404 - Lord of Vermillion
video card: MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III (2 gb ram)
Firmware: MSI GTX 660

660GTX-MSI.jpg
GTX660-GPU.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model 405 - Puzzle & Dragon
video card: MSI GT 640 (1 gb ram)
Firmware: MSI GT 640

640GT-MSI.jpg
GT640-GPU.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model 407 - Figurehead A
video card: NVidia GTX 760 Founder's Edition (2 gb ram)
Firmware: NVidia GTX 760

760GTX-NVidia.jpg
GTX760-GPU.gif

Mackie

Student
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

This is very useful, as if for any reason your video card in your existing TTX3 unit fails or dies and you want to replace it with an aftermarket one, you will need to flash that card with that specific firmware otherwise your TTX3 will refuse to boot.

PascalP

Legendary
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

This is very useful, as if for any reason your video card in your existing TTX3 unit fails or dies and you want to replace it with an aftermarket one, you will need to flash that card with that specific firmware otherwise your TTX3 will refuse to boot.
Had a USF4 unit with a dead GTX660, booted just fine with an off the shelf MSI Twin Frozer 660

Reactions: AMS

Mackie

Student
Reaction score
Yeah I should have said "may refuse to boot", it basically depends on which firmware the card you got is running. Not 100% sure but sounds like the TTX3 bios is locked to some specific revisions/cards otherwise it will block at the boot screen. It seems also that other video cards that are "out of original specification" could run. There was some successful swap with a GTX 670 for example.

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, this is great info!

Yeah I should have said "may refuse to boot", it basically depends on which firmware the card you got is running. Not 100% sure but sounds like the TTX3 bios is locked to some specific revisions/cards otherwise it will block at the boot screen. It seems also that other video cards that are "out of original specification" could run. There was some successful swap with a GTX 670 for example.
I'm not so sure there is anything baked into the bios for video cards. I can't be 100% sure, but i've tested a few things here the last few days and i have no problem getting past the bios screen. Not using anything close to the cards that come with this. If the games refuse to go past the bios screen, it might be some very early check on the HDD that's causing it not to boot. I could be wrong, but i've had at least 3 nvidia cards and 1 amd card and they all boot to a fresh windows install fine.

300wins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say that all of your cards boot in a fresh windows install... do you mean like in an actual computer and NOT the X3? Because in an actual computer, ALL of the X3 video cards will work perfectly fine. But I've had a few that won't get past the white Taito X3 screen when it's in the X3 itself.

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
When you say that all of your cards boot in a fresh windows install... do you mean like in an actual computer and NOT the X3? Because in an actual computer, ALL of the X3 video cards will work perfectly fine. But I've had a few that won't get past the white Taito X3 screen when it's in the X3 itself.
No, i mean just booting a clean Windows install, on the actual TTX3 hardware.

So Windows 7frsh install HDD, booting from an SSD.

I've confirmed that the TTX2 card boots fine, as well as a 660ti without any modifications to the manufacture stock bios. This card was NOT original out of a TTX3. I can understand trying to boot the original games and them not working, there might be some check for the specific cards, not sure it's in the bios though. It also boots fine on an earlier 7300 series card. I'm saying they don't get stuck at the bios boot.

I'll try another AMD card i have here, much newer and see if it works. Just for a test.

This is the exact model 660TI i have, and it boots fine without needing custom firmware.

https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=D769C4DF-B02C-4CCA-9672-908720026816

Mackie

Student
Reaction score
Sorry I was away.

There is definitely some kind of manufacturer/ID/something check at the TTX3 Bios level (It also seems there are few revisions of the TTX3 bios which may have some different behaviors, there is at least two different bios we saw so far).

I know some people got lucky and bought a replacement card and it worked right away, but it was more the exception than the rule.

So far we were able to have all video cards we tested to work on a X3 at the end. As said, rarely, some worked out of the box, some required to flash the video card firmware, but at the end we had 100% success so far.
Some required some uncommon process such as using another manufacturer firmware to flash the card to pass the boot post (like you would have an EVGA but you end up using a PNY firmware).

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
Sorry I was away.

There is definitely some kind of manufacturer/ID/something check at the TTX3 Bios level (It also seems there are few revisions of the TTX3 bios which may have some different behaviors, there is at least two different bios we saw so far).

I know some people got lucky and bought a replacement card and it worked right away, but it was more the exception than the rule.

So far we were able to have all video cards we tested to work on a X3 at the end. As said, rarely, some worked out of the box, some required to flash the video card firmware, but at the end we had 100% success so far.
Some required some uncommon process such as using another manufacturer firmware to flash the card to pass the boot post (like you would have an EVGA but you end up using a PNY firmware).
Thanks for the info. I tested an AMD r9 card. It won't show anything at all. Doesn't load the boot screen at all.

I tested an earlier AMD Radeon 5000 series card and that boots into my windows install no problem.

I also run the TTX2 Elsa 979 video card, in my TTX3 system booting niko's multi. This also works fine.

Sure, these cards will not work in original games at all, i'm just saying that there are some other cards that boot no problem when you have the HDD security turned off and try to boot into a regular windows install done on the TTX3 hardware.

What are you testing with? Are you testing with an original TTX3 game? I just seem to be getting different results. Maybe its just because you guys are testing on original games.

I think the TTX3 with original game will sit on the bios screen if it finds something that it doesn't like.I think this just means that you can't boot original games with other cards. That stands to reason pretty well. But for other stuff... lets call it home brew shall we. If the card shows any video at all, like the bios, i think it will move past the bios screen to boot... say... a regular windows install, but of course, not on an original game.

This may be a different revision of the bios in my system? I'm not really sure. The bios in my system shows as Version 2.13.1215 - This is at the bottom of the screen after you enter the bios.

Last edited:

Murray

Grand Master
Reaction score
Just for anyone who stumbles across this thread in future.

We now know that the issue with video cards not booting is that you require a NON UEFI bios on your video card. This is why a lot of the newer cards don't boot in the TTX3 system.

You need a card that works with a NON UEFI bios, pretty much all cards after the gtx 7** series cards don't have non UEFI bioses available.