What's new

300wins

Professional
Reaction score
There is now a bios firmware that now lets you use any video card once your motherboard is flashed with it. But I will keep these firmware posted for archival sake.

Here are the official firmware for the 3 video cards that the X3 has. I haven't seen any different video cards than these 3. If there are, please let me know and I can update the thread. These firmware was extracted from official Taito Type X3 machine and NOT some aftermarket card or anything. There are different games that these cards can come in, I just listed which game I extracted the firmware from. Big thanks to @adgenet

Model 404 - Lord of Vermillion
video card: MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III (2 gb ram)
Firmware: MSI GTX 660

660GTX-MSI.jpg
GTX660-GPU.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model 405 - Puzzle & Dragon
video card: MSI GT 640 (1 gb ram)
Firmware: MSI GT 640

640GT-MSI.jpg
GT640-GPU.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model 407 - Figurehead A
video card: NVidia GTX 760 Founder's Edition (2 gb ram)
Firmware: MSI GTX 760
NOTE: THIS VIDEO CARD AND FIRMWARE ONLY WORKS FOR A MODEL
407 MACHINE. IT WILL NOT WORK FOR ANY OTHER MODEL.

760GTX-NVidia.jpg
GTX760-GPU.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

This is very useful, as if for any reason your video card in your existing TTX3 unit fails or dies and you want to replace it with an aftermarket one, you will need to flash that card with that specific firmware otherwise your TTX3 will refuse to boot.

Thanks for sharing.

This is very useful, as if for any reason your video card in your existing TTX3 unit fails or dies and you want to replace it with an aftermarket one, you will need to flash that card with that specific firmware otherwise your TTX3 will refuse to boot.
Had a USF4 unit with a dead GTX660, booted just fine with an off the shelf MSI Twin Frozer 660

Yeah I should have said "may refuse to boot", it basically depends on which firmware the card you got is running. Not 100% sure but sounds like the TTX3 bios is locked to some specific revisions/cards otherwise it will block at the boot screen. It seems also that other video cards that are "out of original specification" could run. There was some successful swap with a GTX 670 for example.

When you say that all of your cards boot in a fresh windows install... do you mean like in an actual computer and NOT the X3? Because in an actual computer, ALL of the X3 video cards will work perfectly fine. But I've had a few that won't get past the white Taito X3 screen when it's in the X3 itself.

Sorry I was away.

There is definitely some kind of manufacturer/ID/something check at the TTX3 Bios level (It also seems there are few revisions of the TTX3 bios which may have some different behaviors, there is at least two different bios we saw so far).

I know some people got lucky and bought a replacement card and it worked right away, but it was more the exception than the rule.

So far we were able to have all video cards we tested to work on a X3 at the end. As said, rarely, some worked out of the box, some required to flash the video card firmware, but at the end we had 100% success so far.
Some required some uncommon process such as using another manufacturer firmware to flash the card to pass the boot post (like you would have an EVGA but you end up using a PNY firmware).

Just for anyone who stumbles across this thread in future.

We now know that the issue with video cards not booting is that you require a NON UEFI bios on your video card. This is why a lot of the newer cards don't boot in the TTX3 system.

You need a card that works with a NON UEFI bios, pretty much all cards after the gtx 7** series cards don't have non UEFI bioses available.
@Murray Does this mean I can just get a GTX680 and it will just work without a bios flash?

Unfortunately no, that was a bit of an older post that one, i've learned since then that a non uefi bios is a requirement, but not all non uefi bioses work and i don't really know why. It's a bit of trial and error really.

If you want a card that works well, the reference 780 cards work well to date with the flash posted in the othere thread, but you have to outside mount for fan. There's a lot of 680 card vvariations, you just have to get one and try it.

I just bought a 660GTX and I will flash with the bios on this page. I'll try to see if I can score a 680GTX and we will see what happens.

Is it any 4GB video card compatible with the TTX3?

Anyone can put up a new Link for the MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III (2 gb ram) Firmware?
Link from first post doesn't give me anything...

At this point you're far better off flashing the motherboard BIOS to accept any video card as opposed to putting the BIOS on a GPU. Instructions on doing that step by step are in another thread.

Anyone can put up a new Link for the MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III (2 gb ram) Firmware?
Link from first post doesn't give me anything...
This should be it if I'm not mistaken, made it from my own card when I still had a X3 but no way to verify exactly which card it was but I recall it was a GTX660 from a P&D unit ;)

Attachments

• GK106_STOCKTTX3.zip
    57.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
This should be it if I'm not mistaken, made it from my own card when I still had a X3 but no way to verify exactly which card it was but I recall it was a GTX660 from a P&D unit ;)
Thanks for that!

At this point you're far better off flashing the motherboard BIOS to accept any video card as opposed to putting the BIOS on a GPU. Instructions on doing that step by step are in another thread.
So I already ordered the MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III (2 gb ram) from ebay for 40 € and also an i5 2400 for 15 €
Is it still better to Flash the Motherboard rather than the GPU?
What would be the difference? More Flexibilty in GPU Choice? Anything other than that?
As for the CPU it can simply be replaced, right?

EDIT: Also I have hopes that maybe there will be no flashing needed at all since some cards seem to work just fine

Last edited:
Thanks for that!

So I already ordered the MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III (2 gb ram) from ebay for 40 € and also an i5 2400 for 15 €
Is it still better to Flash the Motherboard rather than the GPU?
What would be the difference? More Flexibilty in GPU Choice? Anything other than that?
As for the CPU it can simply be replaced, right?

EDIT: Also I have hopes that maybe there will be no flashing needed at all since some cards seem to work just fine
yes to everything.

I guess I should update this thread to include the motherboard firmware.

Back