What's new

iTRDC2

Student
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a faulty Capcom ZN-1 PCB (Battle Arena Toshiden 2).

When I turn on the arcade, the board goes to color palette screen and stays there (it is stucked. At least seems becasuse when I press the test button it does not go to test sreen).

I tested all ROMs using my Miniprog to read them and then I compared with the game Mame ROMs and they are all OK.
The board does not have any visible bad traces.

I searched in google and also here on the forum and did not found any relevant info regarding what could be the root cause or at least how I could continue the troubleshooting.

Anyone have a clue what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance and happy gaming.

BR,
iTRDC2

A photo of the colors palette
What color does it stick on?
Here is a photo.
IMG20231011220423.jpg

Best Regards,
iTRDC2

This is saying motherboard good, romboard needs checking ;)
Bios OK, CAT chips (top and bottom ok) , Decrypt OK , Execution problem.

If it turns out to be the motherboard it will be something unusual like work ram.

This is saying motherboard good, romboard needs checking ;)
Bios OK, CAT chips (top and bottom ok) , Decrypt OK , Execution problem.

If it turns out to be the motherboard it will be something unusual like work ram.
Hi Hammy,

Thanks a lot for wisdom comments ;).

In the meawhile taking into account what you said I putted my attention on the ROM Board.
Since I had already tested the ROMs (both Mask ROMs and EPROMs) I decided to take the next step and test the PALs. I re-seated two of them, the socketed ones (Bank 0 and CS0CNT) and kabum, the game is now working 8o.

Nevertheless if you take a look at the color palette the colors are not OK.

color_palette.jpg

I noticed that if I aplly some pressure with my finger somewhere near the 74LS253's ICs (on the lower board) the colors turn good, but if I remove it again it gets bad again.
All components seem well soldered.

Any idea how to solve this ISSUE?

Thanks once again.

BR,
iTRDC2.

2 ways to debug this:

1: Microscope and looking for the loose connection
2: Check the video levels , you can start at IC 201 and trace towards the edge connector or work backwards from the blue pin and see where the signal drops.

Back