What's new
Man, what a run around. Hope you get the shipping notification soon so no one else can change prices again.

Man, what a run around. Hope you get the shipping notification soon so no one else can change prices again.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The lady who was supposed to ship today/tomorrow is the one who changed the prices and claims now that it was a refurbished price, not new. So we're back to the original supplier at 10.81/chip (Original 6.51, plus the 4.30 increase) so that we'll at least have new chips.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The lady who was supposed to ship today/tomorrow is the one who changed the prices and claims now that it was a refurbished price, not new. So we're back to the original supplier at 10.81/chip (Original 6.51, plus the 4.30 increase) so that we'll at least have new chips.
oh no, you were perfectly clear. Just seems these vendors are quoting before verifying and then changing when you're serious to buy. Just hope the original vendor doesn't try again.

They are probably all refurbished chips no matter who you buy from. Rumor was these were all taken from pachinko machines or something. Sort of like looking for new DIP EPROMs at this point. You just have to go used and hope they are legit and working. That’s also why the price on the 161 carts is able to be so low.

What a sh1t show with suppliers in China. :(

My donor 161-in-1 came in; took only 1 week via AliExpress. FWIW, I suggest to those doing this mod, strongly consider not only getting the dual PCB for the 3GB support, but replace the single chip PCBs as well with through hole ones. These SMD mounted stilt PCBs are a joke; because they have a bit of solder on the posts from the removal process, when you put them into the programmer, good luck removing them without ripping traces.

They are probably all refurbished chips no matter who you buy from. Rumor was these were all taken from pachinko machines or something. Sort of like looking for new DIP EPROMs at this point. You just have to go used and hope they are legit and working. That’s also why the price on the 161 carts is able to be so low.
Probably, yes. But I don't feel comfortable gambling everyone else's money on that assumption. If literally everyone else wants to opt for the named refurbished ones for the original price, I will make it happen, but it's kinda got to be unanimous.

We're waiting on a couple of folks to reply from messages a few days ago anyway.

These SMD mounted stilt PCBs are a joke; because they have a bit of solder on the posts from the removal process, when you put them into the programmer, good luck removing them without ripping traces.
Can you post a comparison shot of the two? I'm still a tad unclear what STILT means.

You probably need these as well as a dual one. The stock flash PCBs are all SMD. The legs rip off the pcb just by looking at this. Notice how the connectors here are all through hole. Must stronger and can take a lot more insertions.

new stilt.jpeg

The stock flash PCBs are all SMD. The legs rip off the pcb just by looking at this.
Are you talking about how on the underside of the stock daughterboards the pins are SMD? That's STILT?

I haven't had any issue with those so far. And it's not like I'll be inserting and removing them dozens of times, just once each, yeah?

That's correct. You remove them once, insert them into programmer, remove them and insert them into a new socket on the PCB. I use hot air to remove the daughterboards (stilts) and they come off clean but the daughterboard are so flimsy (0.4 or 0.6mm?) that for those that are not as good at removing them, should strongly consider ordering the single flash chip through hole PCBs I have pictured above.

just found out about this, Am i too late? or maybe piggy back on someones order? i just want 1 cart please

Last edited:
ok sure . i also meant just enough parts to do a cart but ya this solves the problem unless someone ends up not wanting thier whole order

might have to wait. 280 is an ok price but higher than i was expecting. So unless someone has spares might have to wait for disability im running out of stuff to sell

Last edited:
Alright. Got my money back from one, and waiting for the invoice to pay the difference for 8.80/chip.

Should finally have this nailed down and shipped inside a couple of days here. Fedex 2-3 days, so hopefully in by next Friday?

ok sure . i also meant just enough parts to do a cart but ya this solves the problem unless someone ends up not wanting thier whole order
Ah, gotcha. I'll see what's spare once we've got a finished head count and stuff in hand.

I'm not sure about the daughterboards.

I would be very careful with what I was buying. I would not even consider it unless its escrow, odds are those ic's are fakes. That ic in reality is more like a $20 chip if you can even find it.

Best of luck,
Mark

I would be very careful with what I was buying. I would not even consider it unless its escrow, odds are those ic's are fakes. That ic in reality is more like a $20 chip if you can even find it.

Best of luck,
Mark
I appreciate your concern. Got two layers of payment protection, so we should be fine in that regard at least.

We are officially paid up. Shipment Monday/Tuesday via FedEx Express Int'l. Will update soon as we're shipped.

Got photo confirmation that these are the right chips overnight including an underside shot , got sent the commercial packing invoice, and I was told they're boxing them up!

Best of luck,
Mark

What would you look out for with respect to identifying that these were legitimate versus being fakes? If they pass capacity testing it feels like the most likely misfortune would be cleaned up pulls versus new stock, at least in such case they'd be functional.

Back