What's new
the most complicated part is understanding how graphics work and the difference between both systems. I was told that gfx would need to be converted into sprites iirc and that would take a considerable amount of time. Then you need to patch all routines in the code handling those gfx.
IMHO it must be someone with experience converting/patching games in 68000.

I'm sure @Apocalypse and @Hammy are two possible candidates. Let's see if this happens. Me and a ton of people would be very glad.

Saturday Night Slam Masters
I will be taking a look at this sometime in the future to de-protect it correctly. There is apparently some hardware on the way that will assist with this.
the most complicated part is understanding how graphics work and the difference between both systems. I was told that gfx would need to be converted into sprites iirc and that would take a considerable amount of time. Then you need to patch all routines in the code handling those gfx.
IMHO it must be someone with experience converting/patching games in 68000.

I'm sure @Apocalypse and @Hammy are two possible candidates. Let's see if this happens. Me and a ton of people would be very glad.
I set the punisher up on capcom dev hardware but never got around to messing with it too much.
There are others looking at the so it's best to continue on hardware i know instead of moving onto and reversing another board.
Interested in De-protecting the games correctly - yes, porting them - not at this time.

I don't collect bootlegs, but I don't mind at all having converted boards.

Since Punisher is pushing new price boundaries everyday, It would please me a lot to have a proper bug-free conversion,

What saddens me is that a lot of interested parties are only waiting for this in order to sell boards on Y!AJ and eBay :(

I have it almost 100% deprotected, including the sound ROM checks. Never tested on real hardware.
Maybe what I'm going to say sounds insane, but if you could share your development together we could have the deprotected versions earlier and we'd avoid doubling efforts. Just my 2 cents.
This one was a job for later anyway, so it's no worries/double time this time.

Hopefully the hardware test goes well!
The protection on here would of been nothing compared to some others he's done.

To be honest we are working together on new ideas, this is an old idea so it never got talked about ;)

@Hammy name one of your new ideas "turtles in time patched to run on a common Konami pcb" and watch the world collapse :D

OK here are some details about Slam Masters:
  1. The game uses a double suicide mechanism:
    • one for the "C" board (some call it "D" board since it's the one at the very top of the stack, but it's the equivalent of the C board on CPS1 non Q-Sound games): the B21 is powered with a battery to hold keys
    • one for the Q-Sound board, again with a battery to hold the Kabuki (encrypted Z80 used as sound CPU) keys
  2. Since CPS2 uses a default B21 chip, game code must be patched for it (B registers addresses and layer masks values but also multiplication protections where bytes in the result are swapped between the default B21 and the known battery powered romsets): it can be found on the dead battery society website, and for once it seems to work OK (many other of their patches contain bugs or even don't boot at all)
  3. Then, again, sound CPU code isn't crypted on CPS2 so code must be decrypted. I've prepared the file and tested it fine in MAME ( @Hammy or whoever needs it PM me)
  4. But this brings another problem, main CPU code checks some bytes in the sound CPU code and if they don't match the expected values it triggers a protection. Of course by decrypting the sound CPU code I've changed those values, so main CPU code had to be patched again. According to MAME:
MAME said:
AM_RANGE(0xf00000, 0xf0ffff) AM_READ(qsound_rom_r) /* Slammasters protection */
So by setting a watchpoint and playing the game we can find where main CPU code checks bytes from the sound CPU code: wpset F00000,10000,r

According to my notes this is what I found:

Main CPU code address => Value read (from address)
@1540 => 1DF0A
@733C8(w) => FF89 (F07EBE)
@52C6A(w) => FF07 (F0F000)
@2A9CE(b) => 07 (F0F001)
@73D5C(b) => 01 (F0E045)
@73D6A(b) => 3F (F0E1C9)
@73D74(b) => F9 (F0E3FB)
@67232(w) => FF7A (F0E668)
@72A08(w) => FF04 (F0E480)
@67232(w) => FF7A (F0E668)

There's probably more I haven't written down.

Then they are several possibilities for a patch for instance replace moves from memory by moves immediate with the expected values: move #$xxxx, D2

1. But this brings another problem, main CPU code checks some bytes in the sound CPU code and if they don't match the expected values it triggers a protection. Of course by decrypting the sound CPU code I've changed those values, so main CPU code had to be patched again. According to MAME:
MAME said:
AM_RANGE(0xf00000, 0xf0ffff) AM_READ(qsound_rom_r) /* Slammasters protection */
Nice one! very similar to the other decrypts with protection like bomberman etc, just spread over the 2 cpu's instead of running on one.
When the hardware arrives i will let you know and we will get it tested.
@Hammy name one of your new ideas "turtles in time patched to run on a common Konami pcb" and watch the world collapse :D
Sunset riders or the quiz game, i think everyone already knows this.
Maybe vendetta > simpsons is possible. Problem with konami beat em ups is the gameplay is the same for all of them.

Asterix is pretty different gameplay wise to Simpsons/TMNT/Sunset Riders

Bucky O Hare is pretty different to those too

AFAIK Sunset Riders doesn't work because of some security chip? I thought the quiz game was the only option?

AFAIK Sunset Riders doesn't work because of some security chip? I thought the quiz game was the only option?
Please let's just leave Sunset Riders alone. There's zero reason to ruin a decent game.

Quiz game, sure, no one cares about that one.

I know some early CPS1 games were developed using a x68000 PC.
Do we possess any leaked dev software or tools for CPS2 games?

I'm just thinking Capcom is laughing at us, IF we had that unprotected source and the dev tools for both platforms the recomplation/conversion might be simi-automated.

Found some additional protections in Slam Masters.
For instance game initially calculates checksum of the sound ROM. That's easy to defeat but then every 3 attract cycles there's another subroutine checking you haven't tampered with the checksum subroutine.
I don't give up, let's see what's next.

Hello people,

My CPS2 Multi is normal, but when I select the game CPS1 Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition, I am unable to enter the "service" mode and modify some settings. Is this behavior normal for this game on CPS2 Multi?

N8EL9SMm.jpg

Z7veHsUm.jpg

v592ghlm.jpg

Back