What's new
The QSound amplifier has been retro-engineered, there are just some caps and resistor values missing.

https://twitter.com/WydD/status/1335312921228931072

https://gitlab.com/loic.petit/cps2-reverse/-/tree/master/CPB-001A

https://petitl.fr/cps2/CPB-001A/

Hopefully this is finally going to put to rest all of the speculation which arose in all those years.
It's fascinating discussion about Q-Sound amp tech. I am wondering if Q-Sound amp repro has been made yet or not?
I would love to see if Q-Sound amp repro can be retrofitted to existing candy cabs like Astro City, Blast City, etc....
I have never played CPS2 with Q-Sound setup thus I am very curious about this

I wouldn't mind buying a qsound repro - getting the originals these days seem next to impossible.

I've tried @DRAGONKZ's qsound on the big blue and it's a very nice sounding setup.

It's fascinating discussion about Q-Sound amp tech. I am wondering if Q-Sound amp repro has been made yet or not?
I would love to see if Q-Sound amp repro can be retrofitted to existing candy cabs like Astro City, Blast City, etc....
I have never played CPS2 with Q-Sound setup thus I am very curious about this

I used to have a Capcom Impress with a Q sound amp, the impress speakers are great sounding and with CPS2 in stereo was very impressive 3D like sound.

I wouldn't mind buying a qsound repro - getting the originals these days seem next to impossible.

I've tried @DRAGONKZ's qsound on the big blue and it's a very nice sounding setup.
Make an offer... I've still got the spare amp and power supply sitting there :D :D

Man I am so tired of searching and reading every thread I can find on this stuff. :(

Is there still no definitive, off the shelf solution to replace the Audio Step down transformer for a gen 2 Big Blue? Mine came with the original Q-Sound Amp, no transformer, and currently has this hooked up as a replacement by the previous owner. I am guessing he couldn't find the dang transformer either.

Attachments

• IMG_2213.jpg
    IMG_2213.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 85
It's just a 14VAC transformer. There's nothing special about it.

+1 for Qsound repro.
I would purchase 4.

It is 12.8v AC 3A (2.5A minimum) , you can find the equivalent of this trasformer on lots of sega model 2-3 amp.
The sega one is not toroidal but just supply the same voltage.

Hi! :)

I want to replace a Naomi Cabinet audio amp with a Capcom Q-sound amp. But I don't know how to connect the sound of Naomi New Net city Cabinet PCB potentiometer controller.

Can anyone have an idea of a connection ?

Thank you:thumbup:

img_20230116_195928__01-jpg.jpg

Sega_Naomi_Amp_Labelled.jpg

ahh my bad.. I was half asleep and I just read it as what type of connection :D

I actually have no idea how it would be done on a qsound amp as I can't see anything on the amp to allow a volume pot. I'm assuming it doesn't have as volume is normally controlled on the board of a cps2 or cps3?

You’d be best off looking at the Q25 or impress schematics and seeing how they do volume control.

The USA big blue cabinet has the volume control buttons connected to the CPS2 kick harness and controls volume that way, but that method only seems to be used on CPS2/CPS3.

If the board/s you’re looking at using don’t have volume control then you can also look at something like the schiit sys which goes between the board and amp.

You’d be best off looking at the Q25 or impress schematics and seeing how they do volume control.

The USA big blue cabinet has the volume control buttons connected to the CPS2 kick harness and controls volume that way, but that method only seems to be used on CPS2/CPS3.

If the board/s you’re looking at using don’t have volume control then you can also look at something like the schiit sys which goes between the board and amp.

From what I recall the impress does volume control on the CPS2 or CPS3 cart, none in the cab or Q sound amp.

Back