What's new
I thought the bypass switch would re-enable CPS 1.5 audio through the JAMMA edge?
It does, the A board will still function as it does without the mod and it will pass audio to the jamma edge.

No, because we are cutting the line level audio being fed to the amp on the A board.

While what you are asking can be done it would involve more components and more modding. My design behind this is directed towards my use case, which is a cab with an amp, where I can feed it line level audio and not have to switch cables etc. to reroute audio between cps1 and cps1.5 games.

That's what I was afraid of.

So we are stuck with either both signals to Jamma, and 1.5 games to RCA, from the original setup...

OR

with this mod, both signals to RCA, and 1.0 games only to Jamma via the bypass switch...

thereby trading one exclusivity for another.

This is why I'm asking questions.

If we are going to fix a situation, how much harder is it, to fix it properly, so that both signals could go to both output types?

If the cost were say 10-15$ higher per kit, would having a total solution be worth that extra money (I think so), versus if the cost was increased by 40-60$$ (I can't imagine being this much of an increase, but for the sake of argument.)?

I'm not the one designing it, or producing it, I understand....but it just seems to me, like if it's worth the time to fix one scenario, its worth the extra time, to fix all scenarios, if the additional time and costs can be kept reasonable.

Personally, I'd even be willing to desolder my filter PCB connectors, and apply them to a new filter PCB, with this circuitry added, and some RCA pass-throughs built into it, so that it was more cohesive.

I know this would still likely still require the CN5/potentiometer cut-off pcb, AND all the volume adjustments and connectors would have to be INSIDE of the filter pcb, as current cases wont be able to support this if the mods were on the OUTSIDE of the filter PCB.

That may be entirely too much pcb real-estate for a reasonable cost scenario, but anything to fix ALL audio options, AND make it as cohesive to the kit as possible, is a win in my book.

Even if the kit stayed in its current 2-part form, getting all options sorted, as opposed to trading one exclusivity for another, seems a capital idea, if it can be done.

So we are stuck with either both signals to Jamma, and 1.5 games to RCA, from the original setup...

OR

with this mod, both signals to RCA, and 1.0 games only to Jamma via the bypass switch...

thereby trading one exclusivity for another.
Original Setup:
Both CPS1 and CPS1.5 games output audio though Jamma, and CPS1.5 games output through RCA

With the Mod:

Bypass switch on:
No CPS1/CPS1.5 games audio outputs through Jamma - Both CPS1/CPS1.5 games audio outputs through RCA (at proper line-level)

Bypass switch off:
CPS1/CPS1.5 games output audio through Jamma and CPS1.5 games output through RCA
CPS1 games also output through the RCA jacks but with the following issue:
In this mode, CPS1 game audio through the rca will not be at proper levels, so will not sound properly, it will be extremely low and even then one channel is louder than the other. This is the reason for the bypass switch.

Personally, I'd even be willing to desolder my filter PCB connectors, and apply them to a new filter PCB, with this circuitry added, and some RCA pass-throughs built into it, so that it was more cohesive.
I hear what you are saying. At one point I was designing a filterboard add-on to incorporate a lot of things, but in the end, it would have been better to make a new filterboard, so I abandoned the idea.

2024-05-08_23-02-18.jpg

This is as far as I got with it, this one had dips, spinner, kicks, P3/P4 via the DB15 (swappable to be P1/P2), I was adding a few more things, but ultimately I settled that a new filter board would be better. Hell, I was finishing up work on selectable dips settings based on the game being loaded.

In the end, who knows, we might one day see a CPS1.X multi refresh/ver 2.0 that will incorporate many of the things we are discussing.

Some of these things I do end up making, and implementing into my setups, but they are more for private use, since I make them for my personal use case.

Last edited:
In any case, I will probably make about 20 sets of these, I need 5 myself, the rest I will send to Mitsu. If there is any further interest he will be able to make more if he wants.

Thank you guys for all the questions/feedback, its much appreciated.

Original Setup:
Both CPS1 and CPS1.5 games output audio though Jamma, and CPS1.5 games output through RCA

With the Mod:

Bypass switch on:
No CPS1/CPS1.5 games audio outputs through Jamma - Both CPS1/CPS1.5 games audio outputs through RCA (at proper line-level)

Bypass switch off:
CPS1/CPS1.5 games output audio through Jamma and CPS1.5 games output through RCA
CPS1 games also output through the RCA jacks but with the following issue:
In this mode, CPS1 game audio through the rca will not be at proper levels, so will not sound properly, it will be extremely low and even then one channel is louder than the other. This is the reason for the bypass switch.

Ah, my sincere apologies. This is what was not clear to me.

In that case, this does handle covers both directions, and is what I was hoping for. I am sorry for not understanding.

In that case, I will likely take one. Just waiting to see where price is at.

Thank you @Derick2k for your patience and answers.

Ah, my sincere apologies. This is what was not clear to me.

In that case, this does handle covers both directions, and is what I was hoping for. I am sorry for not understanding.

In that case, I will likely take one. Just waiting to see where price is at.

Thank you @Derick2k for your patience and answers.
Thanks, I'm not good at explaining things, but I eventually get there. The mods are very minimal, I don't like cutting into things too much and I want it to be cleaning reversible if you want it.

Price-wise I have no clue yet, I need to order the PCBs and components. Mitsu will get the first stock as he can offer install services for these and the dual crystal mod as well. These will pair up nicely I think.

Lastly, I was thinking about what you said about keeping the original pot and not having to mod the extension for it in cases. So I think I have a workaround but it will involve cutting a trace. I really wanted to avoid that, but I might make that an option as well. Along with a header for extending the bypass button so you can have it somewhere outside a case if you need that.

Last edited:
Thanks, Im not good at explaining things, but I eventually get there. The mods are very minimal, I don't like cutting into things too much and I want it to be cleaning reversible if you want it.

Price wise I have not clue yet, I need to order the pcbs and components. Mitsu will get the first stock as he can offer install services for these and the dual crystal mod as well. These will pair up nicely I think.

Lastly, I was thinking about what you said about keeping the original pot and not having to mod the extension for it in cases. So I think I have a workaround but it will involve cutting a trace. I really wanted to avoid that, but I might make that an option as well. Along with a header for extending the bypass button so you can have it somewhere outside a case if you need that.

The Lions3 case has access for the Bypass switch, as that area is open.

However, the Jasen metal case does not. So it may be a concern for those folks, were they to get the kit, and need access to the bypass. (I've done installs on both)

Regarding cutting a trace, obviously I'd like to avoid that too, if at all possible.

I attached a picture of the Lions case, where you can see the pot, how it attaches to the volume adjustment extender, and how much spare lead the pins have, through the pcb.

If the bypass pcb that attached there was thin, I think it could handle that Potentiometer being pulled and resoldered into place, and then use the screw on the post to the right, as a further secure point, to hold the mod PCB in place. As it isn't taking much in the way of current, is it possible to slim the thickness down, in this case?

If the original pot HAD to be replaced, then hotglue would be able to provide a temporary solution until someone could come up with a new 3dprint design that would secure over whatever pot is chosen for the kit. The square design of the adjustment knob on the CPS1 pots made the volume adjuster easy to secure without adhesives, and ideally that would be the same with the new pot if needed.

The Jasen case does NOT have a volume adjustment extender for this pot, to be concerned over...it's regarded as set it and forget it, as is the volume pot on the DS Multi itself (in the Jasen case).

I'm all ears here, and will help however I can, with whatever pics I can, as I have both the Lions case and Jasen case here in the house at the moment, along with a spare CPS1 pcb.

Just let me know if there is anything I can do.

Attachments

• 440872931_327317337042441_5868080585975002721_n.jpg
    440872931_327317337042441_5868080585975002721_n.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 10
Awesome stuff as always @Derick2k thank you :thumbsup: I'll drop Mitsu a PM now and hopefully get on the list. Reminds me I need to get a dual crystal kit too

Is this thread being used for sales, or will there be a separate one started when they are ready to sell?

Awesome stuff as always @Derick2k thank you :thumbsup: I'll drop Mitsu a PM now and hopefully get on the list. Reminds me I need to get a dual crystal kit too
Thanks buddy.
Is this thread being used for sales, or will there be a separate one started when they are ready to sell?
Im not sure actually, Mitsu will have to decide on that. But it doesn't hurt to express your interest on this thread. :D

I'm all ears here, and will help however I can, with whatever pics I can, as I have both the Lions case and Jasen case here in the house at the moment, along with a spare CPS1 pcb.

Just let me know if there is anything I can do.

Awesome, I have a couple of questions for you.

Im testing on this parts Dash A board for fitment purposes, not sure if there are other revisions of the Dash board.

2024-05-09_10-29-53.jpg

Are these holes used/occupied in either case?
2024-05-09_10-30-56.jpg

And same for this one on the multi, does either case occupy it?
2024-05-09_10-34-36.jpg

As far as keeping the CPS1 volume pot in place, this trace WILL have to be cut. I think I like this idea :)
2024-05-09_10-32-13.jpg

1. Don't expect a new revision of the CPS1.x multi. Sales have been OK but not enough to warrant a re-design.

2. We will just post here when the audio mod is ready for sale and I'll probably edit my dual crystal sales post to include both mods.

... I was adding a few more things, but ultimately I settled that a new filter board would be better. Hell, I was finishing up work on selectable dips settings based on the game being loaded.
Is it possible to learn this power?

Probably, a discussion for another thread. But, I'd be interested in this too if you have the bandwidth to do it. :)

Awesome, I have a couple of questions for you.

Im testing on this parts Dash A board for fitment purposes, not sure if there are other revisions of the Dash board.

2024-05-09_10-29-53.jpg

Are these holes used/occupied in either case?
2024-05-09_10-30-56.jpg

And same for this one on the multi, does either case occupy it?
2024-05-09_10-34-36.jpg

As far as keeping the CPS1 volume pot in place, this trace WILL have to be cut. I think I like this idea :)
2024-05-09_10-32-13.jpg

I'll take a peak tonight, overnight and get answers on all that in the morning.

That one trace being cut, seems like a small and easily repairable sacrifice to leave that pot in place, so I agree.

Probably, a discussion for another thread. But, I'd be interested in this too if you have the bandwidth to do it. :)
Definitely for another thread, if I have time I'll try to pick up that project again.
I'll take a peak tonight, overnight and get answers on all that in the morning.

That one trace being cut, seems like a small and easily repairable sacrifice to leave that pot in place, so I agree.
Thank you! I appreciate your time and effort. :thumbup:

Agree, for now I will forge ahead with adapting the mod to do the trace cut.

One can also add an RCA output line converter to the CPS1 multi filter board for about $9 which accomplished all of the sound functionality I was looking for to run the multi in a stereo-only cab or a mono JAMMA cab. Then you get sound over the JAMMA connector as usual and can also get mono CPS1 through RCA jacks and stereo CPS1.5 through RCA jacks. A Y adapter can be added so a single set of RCA wires can be connected to both the CPS1 and CPS1.5 simultaneously. It is also removable without further modification to the A board etc.

Here's a link I made earlier, but I can post a photo of how it is simply installed on my CPS1 multi also: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/diy-for-cps1-multi-mono-to-stereo-wired-cabinet.28767/

Yes, you can do it this way, nothing wrong with this. Definitely a cheap, quick solution. As for me, I wanted an internal solution with quality components, that looked clean without adding extra external devices/converters/connections,etc.. I already have enough stuff in the cabs. :D

This is not a mainstream solution to anything that is critical, just the way I wanted to do it. Similar to the dual crystal mod, I simply did it because I wanted the convenience of not having to switch A boards. I will honestly be surprised if a handful of people get this. But knowing me I will also figure out the sound issue before long, just have too many projects going on right now.

Back