What's new
See how you go. Would highly recommend using a donor with both sockets already over installing a new socket.

You can always install an openkey on this one and get it back to stock :)
Thanks again for getting back to me in time.

I got the old one back to stock and the desoldering and rom socketing went swimmingly.

B98-AF454-3-BB6-44-A3-9-F5-D-90-A114435-DD3.jpg

This one came from a dilapidated case and will be housed in a much nicer complete Xmen Vs Street fighter CPS2 case.

The European version thankfully had the CN6 connector.

The soldering went smoothly again and I'm back to the final step.

26-CBCE23-4018-4-A64-8-D42-3-A6-F2-D120-E18.jpg

1-A1-B1-A4-C-02-E9-495-A-85-D9-35147-B80-A9-E4.jpg

Just to make sure, Can I use the European version with the multi and is there anything I should be mindful of before I "finish the job" ?

I popped the battery out, recased it..

A967-FE20-2-E1-D-4129-A2-BD-29-F244-FC311-A.jpg

And.. Purple screen :(

B2-A64545-88-A5-4-E47-8061-1100-A573-D29-A.jpg

No need to recase it until you confirm it’s all working. What is your LCD screen saying?

Check your multi boards are all seated correctly, including the interconnect board.

You might want to short EXC5 (search forum for info) to make sure the previous keys are cleared.

Also best to use decrypted ROMs first to rule out there’s no issues with the key writing wires.

LCD screen is not lit up.

Ill double check the seats but I did check them before booting.

Ill look into shorting although how long can they last without a battery?

Ill try that. I placed "games" in my root directory and formatted FAT32 with Sandisk 32GB.

LCD not lighting up is a bit of a worry. Have you tried adjusting the LCD contrast wheel on the multi?

Did the vendor you bought the kit off supply you with the original short 30cm cable for the LCD? Some people who make those cables don’t have the right tool, nor test them before selling them so there’s been a lot of reports of dodgy cables on here I’ve noticed.

Re: EXC5, people have reported varying times with the keys. I have had stubborn ones in the past.

It's very close to where the batterie is. Do not remove. Just short.

It's very close to where the batterie is. Do not remove. Just short.
Pardon my lack of experience. How would I short that?

Do I bridge the contacts? Lift a leg of the capacitor? Clamp one end to ground?

Its not registering in my brain and Im looking forward to the procedure when I get home from work tonight.

I tried shorting EXC5.. Purple screen

Reformatted SD and tried decrypted romset.. Purple screen

Unsheathed my heat shrink and checked writing cables. Just fine but had to resolder to reshrink wires, so I shortened the length as I was an inch longer than I'd like to be.. Purple screen

Did the vendor you bought the kit off supply you with the original short 30cm cable for the LCD? Some people who make those cables don’t have the right tool, nor test them before selling them so there’s been a lot of reports of dodgy cables on here I’ve noticed.

I decided to save the easiest troubleshooting step for last, so I switched to the short cable included, and the LCD lit up right away and I was in business! The key writing cables are spot on too.

769-B701-D-18-B4-43-DE-BDB1-5-A2035-F85-FC1.jpg

I'm going to let https://highscoresave.com/darksoft-cps2-multi-kit/ know that their cable extension does not work so others don't have to troubleshoot.

Glad you’re up and running man.

Dodgy extension cables are seeming to be a major problem. Personally, I crimp all the extension cables sold on CandyCabClub by hand and use high quality cable/headers alongside testing each one afterwards.

Making these cables isn’t rocket science. However not using the right tool to crimp down on the cable is just asking for issues like the one you faced.

You could “possibly” fix it by removing the strain relief topper on the connector, making sure the cable is aligned right and cranking down on it in a vice grip as a last resort. Just don’t put too much pressure as the connector housing will crack.

Last edited:
So, I have my CPS2 multi kit coming (finally!) and had a couple preliminary questions before cracking the boards open:

1) I have a B board with an infinikey installed. Per the compatibility guidelines, this board should be good, except I will have to remove the infinikey first, correct? Are there any other steps other than simply desoldering the infinikey from the B board?

2) I have a Progear conversion. I'm assuming a) this does not have the battery, in which case I install with no further steps than in the guide, or b) it has a battery, and I have to remove it before proceeding. If I have to remove the battery, are there any other steps other than removing the battery and shorting EXC 5?

Thanks for any help, I know these are fairly common questions but I just want to ask for posterity so that I can plan my work station and do this correctly.

EDIT: great timing on this post -- I have the longer cables from HSS coming and will be sure to remember the issues you had @hoagtech

1) I have a B board with an infinikey installed. Per the compatibility guidelines, this board should be good, except I will have to remove the infinikey first, correct?
Which version is it? Make sure that it has all the CN connectors. Besides that, that's it. Remove Infinkey, follow up the installation guide and we are good.
Are there any other steps other than simply desoldering the infinikey from the B board?
Yes, short EXC5 for a while after doing that (Of course with power off)
If I have to remove the battery, are there any other steps other than removing the battery and shorting EXC 5?
Nope.

Which version is it? Make sure that it has all the CN connectors. Besides that, that's it. Remove Infinkey, follow up the installation guide and we are good.

Yes, short EXC5 for a while after doing that (Of course with power off)

Nope.
Thanks! I think that gets me going.

After looking up how CPS2 conversions are done, I'm assuming that board would require more extensive work. I'll stick with the Infinikey board :)

I wanted to state HighScoreSaves.com contacted me about the faulty extension cable.

It was a gentleman's conversation and he didn't blame shift or dodge the issue. He was very cordial and shipped out a replacement cable.

He also stated he would go back and test all his extensions to make sure they were fit to sell to others.

Great customer service. Buy with confidence.

Thanks! I think that gets me going.

After looking up how CPS2 conversions are done, I'm assuming that board would require more extensive work. I'll stick with the Infinikey board :)

The install is as simple as legos.

You don't have to solder either. You can just power cycle after flashing and load the decrypted library instead without the write wires.

I you wanted to mail me your B-Board. I would be happy to solder you a write harness and test it on my multi as well for free.

It was a gentleman's conversation and he didn't blame shift or dodge the issue. He was very cordial and shipped out a replacement cable.

He also stated he would go back and test all his extensions to make sure they were fit to sell to others.

Great customer service. Buy with confidence.
That's what we like to hear.

Back