What's new

Kerbdog

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi folks,
This is kinda a long shot...but...I'm after a high resolution photo of the back of a NEO-AES console mainboard should anyone have either a photo or be willing to pop open their console (long shot but worth asking).
I'm trying to un-JAMMA an AES console and there are a number of bodge wires and caps on the rear I don't believe are original but a photo of the rear of a working board would help.

Why did someone JAMMA it? No idea but it was a professional mod, BIOS modified to reset the unit etc. Must dump that.

Cheers,
KeRb

Suppose it would make sense to share a photo of the bodge wires and random caps - they all look related to the JAMMAifying of the board, want to check with another working NEO-AES owner before undoing
PXL_20210711_104552942.jpg

I've removed the following already, the JAMMA edge connector PCB as well as the audio/RGB/control wiring from the internals

I will need replacement screws as whomever did these mods didn't reinstall the screws holding the mainboard down nor the case closed. Any insight into what screws I might need would be great :) I don't ask for much do I?

PXL_20210707_115317558.jpg

PXL_20210707_115231406.jpg

The wires are definitely not factory, the caps also don't look factory, most of the AES boards I have seen don't have them. Take a pic of where they go, remove them and test, I'm sure it will be fine.
You can always add them back if there is any noticeable issue.

Edit:
Take a closer look at the caps, I couldn't zoom in the pic for better detail. They might be factory, take closer look at the solder, you should be able to tell if it was done at the time of the mod, the resolder should look similar to the wiring solder.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and photo - that board might be a later revision but shows that the Neo-Geo units tended not to have random bodges apart from that additional PCB power fix I've seen around the 'nets.

Plan - once I get a video cable + PSU I do as you suggest, I will document the wire bodges and remove and fix the cut traces. If that does/doesn't work I will then do the same for the caps.

Last edited:
Mod wires removed and traces fixed. Also removed those random caps from the bottom of the board.
Also needed to replace some of the RAM, namely 2x CXK5864BSP-70L and 2x CXK5814P-35L and then it all sprang into life! Just need to figure out screws for it now :)
Caps ordered as it's prob worth doing. Thanks for the pointers before

is yours a pro pow 3? i have a board somewhere if it helps. i could trake a pic of that one

Hey imbord3rlin3,
Thank you for the offer but i'm sorted for now - I think 'pro pow 3' refers to the PSU, the pow 3 is for the later 9V console and mine is a 5V unit.

Back