What's new
The analog IO accurace issue was introduced with IO V6.0. MiSTercade uses a different DAC setup and has accurate 700mV analog RGB output :)

MiSTercade V2 is all but done. It has a 24-bit RGB DAC. You can either output to HDMI OR JAMMA + HD15, but not both.

Relatedly, I spent the day testing the latest Saturn core. Tested 100 games. 95 of them are playable with single SDRAM. There seems to be parity between single and dual SDRAM at this point so, for now, the only two games to require dual SDRAM are Total Carnage and Smash TV (I love both). I've only played them a little bit but they are in beta.

Who knows what the future will hold, especially now that Groovy_MiSTer is in development.

I just spent the weekend setting up GroovyMiSTer on my cabinet and it is AWESOME!!!!! Playing all of the games now 🤙🏼

Yep I’m liking the idea of the V2 with the dual RAM and nicer DAC. I will definitely be on board for your new MiSTerCade when you release it on your site!

Thanks man 🙏🏼

Does anyone know the best way to add Neo Geo arcade games to the arcade game list? I dont want to have to go into the console list and select the neo geo core.

I just spent the weekend setting up GroovyMiSTer on my cabinet and it is AWESOME!!!!! Playing all of the games now 🤙🏼

Yep I’m liking the idea of the V2 with the dual RAM and nicer DAC. I will definitely be on board for your new MiSTerCade when you release it on your site!

Thanks man 🙏🏼
I missed all this. Is this a core for groovy mame to enable emulation of a tonne of games on the mister?

Any easy instructions to set it up?

I missed all this. Is this a core for groovy mame to enable emulation of a tonne of games on the mister?

Any easy instructions to set it up?

Not really, afaik the MiSTer acts more as a passthrough currently, but it's a start :)

Groovy_MiSTer is like a networked GPU for GroovyMAME. GroovyMAME runs on PC, Linux (including Raspberry Pi), etc. and sends the audio and video to MiSTer with roughly 4ms (1/4 frame) of latency.

The next major hurtle will be getting controls sent over the network as well. That will take it from fun novelty to extremely useful.

Shane Lynch is currently adding a generic PC capture to Groovy_MiSTer utility for casting other stuff. All very fun and all very early.

Groovy_MiSTer is like a networked GPU for GroovyMAME. GroovyMAME runs on PC, Linux (including Raspberry Pi), etc. and sends the audio and video to MiSTer with roughly 4ms (1/4 frame) of latency.

The next major hurtle will be getting controls sent over the network as well. That will take it from fun novelty to extremely useful.

Shane Lynch is currently adding a generic PC capture to Groovy_MiSTer utility for casting other stuff. All very fun and all very early.
Yep exactly. I just got lucky enough that I built an arcade cabinet 6 years ago around my GroovyMame PC. So intigrating the MiSTer GPU was a lot simpler than starting from scratch. I already have all of my buttons and audio set up through my PC so all I’m doing is using the MiSTer as my GroovyMame cabinets GPU.

This frees up a lot of resources from the PC and the AMD graphics card which gives you much better reaction on button press, ie. Less lag than GroovyMame on the PC by itself.

https://x.com/shllshockarcade/status/1757557633412948008?s=46&t=NuP7FWWV5pRQJkZ4Ke7KFQ

Audio too? Mine only sends the video signal am I missing something?

Yep exactly. I just got lucky enough that I built an arcade cabinet 6 years ago around my GroovyMame PC. So intigrating the MiSTer GPU was a lot simpler than starting from scratch. I already have all of my buttons and audio set up through my PC so all I’m doing is using the MiSTer as my GroovyMame cabinets GPU.

This frees up a lot of resources from the PC and the AMD graphics card which gives you much better reaction on button press, ie. Less lag than GroovyMame on the PC by itself.

https://x.com/shllshockarcade/status/1757557633412948008?s=46&t=NuP7FWWV5pRQJkZ4Ke7KFQ
I don’t think this is necessarily true in terms of lag on a proper PC GroovyMAME setup with frame delay. See the attached from Calamity.
IMG-20240210-WA0000.jpg

If you have the latest groovymister core on the mister you have to enable it manually in the menu.
At default it's on off.
Yup you have to enable audio out. However since my PC is also in my GroovyMame cabinet I just run audio out of my PC so I don’t need to deal with sending audio 🤷🏻‍♂️

On the note of lag. GroovyMame is laggier than GroovyMister in my setup which runs a 4th gen i5 … I can’t say with higher end PCs however, I haven’t tested. Calamity says you need a beefy PC to run GroovyMame with little lag.

Also consider the ease of setup when integrating CrtEmudriver compared to GroovyMister. I run both and enjoy both for their own reasons. GroovyMame benefits in my setup because it integrates with a front end and LEDBlinki which I’m now trying integrate into the GroovyMister setup. GroovyMister integrates the MISTers interface which is nice if you run games from the MiSTer 🤷🏻‍♂️

From my personal experience the lag coming from GroovyMister is noticeably less than my GroovyMame setup. To me less lag is more important than bells and whistles front ends and flashy buttons. So for now GroovyMister is my go to.

Yup you have to enable audio out. However since my PC is also in my GroovyMame cabinet I just run audio out of my PC so I don’t need to deal with sending audio 🤷🏻‍♂️

On the note of lag. GroovyMame is laggier than GroovyMister in my setup which runs a 4th gen i5 … I can’t say with higher end PCs however, I haven’t tested. Calamity says you need a beefy PC to run GroovyMame with little lag.

Also consider the ease of setup when integrating CrtEmudriver compared to GroovyMister. I run both and enjoy both for their own reasons. GroovyMame benefits in my setup because it integrates with a front end and LEDBlinki which I’m now trying integrate into the GroovyMister setup. GroovyMister integrates the MISTers interface which is nice if you run games from the MiSTer 🤷🏻‍♂️

From my personal experience the lag coming from GroovyMister is noticeably less than my GroovyMame setup. To me less lag is more important than bells and whistles front ends and flashy buttons. So for now GroovyMister is my go to.
Out of interest have you tried/is it possible networking your PC and MiSTer directly I.e. a network cable between both? Or do you go directly to router with both? I can't get the former to work but Lu's Retro channel shows a device to device network connection working.

Out of interest have you tried/is it possible networking your PC and MiSTer directly I.e. a network cable between both? Or do you go directly to router with both? I can't get the former to work but Lu's Retro channel shows a device to device network connection working.
Dude I’ll be honest with you I spent way too much time beating my head against the wall trying to directly connect them and never got it to work … finally tried running though the router and it works so I have no idea how he did it to be honest but that sounds like the best way 🤷🏻‍♂️ just don’t know how …

Dude I’ll be honest with you I spent way too much time beating my head against the wall trying to directly connect them and never got it to work … finally tried running though the router and it works so I have no idea how he did it to be honest but that sounds like the best way 🤷🏻‍♂️ just don’t know how …
Wondering if he actually used a crossover cable and not a patch cable 🤔 … might try that this weekend 👍🏼

I got a direct connection to work via a patch cable from my laptop to the mister.
You have to put a static ip in your laptop ethernet adapter also for the Mister. In the Mister you need to edit the /etc/dhcpcd.conf
And then put this in there:
interface eth0
static ip_address=<your_static_ip_here>/24

I'm using Mister_USBIP on the MiSTer to send control inputs over the same ethernet connection to my pc.

I run a USBIP service on my server(instructions were on Mister_USBIP to achieve this) to recognize these inputs as a local device on the server/pc

For my windows pc I use USBIP_WIN_CLIENT.

Works perfectly.

Back