What's new
HAS supergun set to TTL sync output. RGB knob turned to 80%. I"m not getting bright whites like you would on properly adjusted setup. I am curious if anyone else has noticed this. It's almost as if the blacks are slightly crushed. I am just speculating though.
Aha, that would explain a couple of things. Ideal settings on the HAS would be:
  • raw/unprocessed sync, i.e. not processed by the HAS at all, as the scaler does this and double-processing may possibly lead to some quirks
You don't want the sync to be processed & attenuated by the has, then re-amplified and processed by the A1 again.

On the A1 side, put this in your ini file:
Code:
rgb=75-ohm
sync=ttl
By default the A1 defaults to rgb=arcade, and when it gets the 75-ohm lower level signal, it tries to amplify this to reach arcade level, which it may not have the headroom to do.

@RGB - do all the HAS revisions have the option to output sync straight from the Jamma edge, and I presume the RGB is always attenuated and re-amplified to 75-ohm?

Not all HAS versions provide the raw CSync via the standard video out (only V3.0 and V4.0), but all HAS versions come with an AUX connector that one could use to grab the CSync and RGB before these signals get buffered.

invzim said:
I presume the RGB is always attenuated and re-amplified to 75-ohm
Correct.

I think it will work in most cases regardless with sync, but the more un-processed the better.
@Thchardcore - for you the main issue is brightness, which is not related to sync - setting the A1 to rgb=75-ohm should fix that.

What would those be? AFAIK, Sys246/256, Type X, Naomi all have 15khz options?
Those do. Mainly TTX2, sold mine because my trisync chassis died... but there are others like Chihiro, Lindbergh and consoles like the Xbox 360. The latter does 480i, but it looks like crap on my MS9 :(

If you were curious OSSC scans 24khz x68000 to 1280x822@57hz through it's doubling according to my LCD panel

You can add XBox 360 SCART as a functional source... my wallet sighs with happiness now that I can play the Cave games!
Got some details? Does the A1 do anything other than sync separation?

You can add XBox 360 SCART as a functional source... my wallet sighs with happiness now that I can play the Cave games!
Got some details? Does the A1 do anything other than sync separation?
I tested 15khz > 31khz scaling and it worked fine however I'm using the A1 to do bypass though so it's sending a 15khz HV signal instead of the regular scart. The main reason for this is on 360 there's no way to output 15khz via the VGA or HDMI cable and I am wanting to play Cave games while also not taking a second mortgage out on my house.

what's the benefit of going Xbox 360 -> SCART -> A1 -> VGA -> Monitor instead of just going Xbox 360 -> VGA -> Monitor? Aren't there official VGA cables with separate H/V for the Xbox 360?

what's the benefit of going Xbox 360 -> SCART -> A1 -> VGA -> Monitor instead of just going Xbox 360 -> VGA -> Monitor? Aren't there official VGA cables with separate H/V for the Xbox 360?
VGA can't show 15khz at all. I'm using the A1 as a glorified pass-through device to provide the monitor with RGBHV at 15khz since it's around and I already have the hardware to hookup scart to it. It's all subjective but to me the cave games look much better at 15khz with scanlines on my crt vs 31khz.

I understand now, I thought you were outputting 31k not 15k, makes sense.

VGA can't show 15khz at all. I'm using the A1 as a glorified pass-through device to provide the monitor with RGBHV at 15khz since it's around and I already have the hardware to hookup scart to it. It's all subjective but to me the cave games look much better at 15khz with scanlines on my crt vs 31khz.
@sammargh do you get any picture in that chain, because i don't... can post a pic how exactly you wired it, just in case i'm missing something...

@sammargh do you get any picture in that chain, because i don't... can post a pic how exactly you wired it, just in case i'm missing something...
I don't have a picture handy but I have a SCART to BNC breakout that goes to a VGA breakout for video. CSYNC goes into one of the HV pins and then RL audio from the SCART splitter go directly to the cab's amp.

From the R1 I just plug the cab's monitor in.

Question for the creator - is it possible to feed the A1 a VGA 640 or 480p signal and still have scanlines?

Question for the creator - is it possible to feed the A1 a VGA 640 or 480p signal and still have scanlines?
Hm, no - at least not without some hackery. With 480p input, the A1 bypass function kicks in, and video is not converted to digital/processed at all.
Scaler_A1_HL_Architecture.png

Back