What's new
Anyone have footage of this working with the mistercade and hursits spinner that are now shipping? How does it fare compared to the spinner direct to a cps1 forgotton worlds? Until I get the CPS1 multi all I have is the mistercade to try hursits spinners on. Wanna see this in action and potentially place an order for 2 of these.
i havent tried forgotten worlds with the spinners on mistercade but i did try eco fighters in my setup and that works just fine and feels exactly like on cps2, so id imagine it would be the same on forgotten worlds. i could take a vid for u tomorrow i u like. just so u know the spinners are already sold out and no more are being made.
as of now, the spinners will work on mistercade with brizzo's adapter. idk when there will be a direct plug in board made but it is being worked on.

So I just got my hursits spinnners and I have @brizzo adapter. How would I wire the control panel up in a nnc using a Jammifier and mistercade/ f3 multi?

So I just got my hursits spinnners and I have @brizzo adapter. How would I wire the control panel up in a nnc using a Jammifier and mistercade/ f3 multi?
jammafier->brizzo adapter-> game pcb. the brizzo adapter comes with molex connectors which you can crimp yourself. when plugging in the crimps to the molex connector, refer to the labels on the spinner pcb and the adapter board. make sure they match. you will also want to buy a 4 pin JST NH male connector for the other end of your molex connector so you can easily connect the hursit spinners without having to remove the original connectors. that will make transitions between using the brizzo adaptor connections and the cps1.5 multi connections.

Hello,

Can Brizzo's board actually replace Capcom's 00718-1 IO board for Puzz Loop 2 set in Paddle mode ?

I've read they work similar, but are they actually interchangeable ?

Hello,

Can Brizzo's board actually replace Capcom's 00718-1 IO board for Puzz Loop 2 set in Paddle mode ?

I've read they work similar, but are they actually interchangeable ?
if the inputs are based off of direction inputs than it can "replace " it, but its less effective. the smoothness isnt there. im not sure how puzz loops inputs are designed tho

Neat stuff!

I always wondered why the heck Puzzle Bobble didn't use a spinner. It's the perfect game for it. It's not like Taito hadn't done spinner games before, since there's both Arkanoid and Cameltry.
I know this is an old post but... there is one major reason I don't use a spinner for Puzzle Bobble. I might blow some minds, but if you press "up" on the joystick you'll aim top dead center.

I don't follow. Admittedly, I'm no Puzzle Bobble pro, but is aiming top dead center a benefit often?

A spinner would allow you to go really fast from far left to far right, I could see that being a huge plus in higher level play.

I don't follow. Admittedly, I'm no Puzzle Bobble pro, but is aiming top dead center a benefit often?

A spinner would allow you to go really fast from far left to far right, I could see that being a huge plus in higher level play.

Yes, aiming dead center is crucial to move faster or when you have to aim precisely between two bubbles. But it totally can be done with a spinner too, and you could map a button for that purpose.

Brizzo's spinner board does not allow you to move the aiming arrow faster than with the joysticks. It's just plain more fun, and simple, especially for kids.

Still waiting for an answer concerning Puzz Loop 2.

Last edited:
Yes, aiming dead center is crucial to move faster or when you have to aim precisely between two bubbles. But it totally can be done with a spinner too, and you could map a button for that purpose.

Brizzo's spinner board does not allow you to move the aiming arrow faster than with the joysticks. It's just plain more fun, and simple, especially for kids.

Still waiting for an answer concerning Puzz Loop 2.
Yeah, both of these. You could I suppose map a button to center it, but I am very used to just pressing up and then a fast tap left or right for just off-center shots for example. A spinner would probably slow me down in that situation but who knows. I could see it being fun by all means, but PB gets -real competitive- in this house in VS mode :D

I guess I have to try this centering thing. I'm not really sold on it yet.

Which game are you playing? I've only ever really played the first one.

Brizzo's spinner board does not allow you to move the aiming arrow faster than with the joysticks.

Naturally, since it is just mimicking joystick movements.

you cannot play puzzloop 2 in paddle mode with the brizzo adapter unless paddle mode uses joystick unputs for movement. the way a brizzo board works is it takes joystick input and uses that for when you move the spinner. the brizzo board is a workaround to use spinners. it does not perform the same way a spinner io does. you can play puzzloop with the brizzo board if you dont have it in paddle mode. i hope that clarifies for you @Fredo

I guess I have to try this centering thing. I'm not really sold on it yet.

Which game are you playing? I've only ever really played the first one.
I use this "trick" on all the PB games, from Neo Geo to PB4 on the F3.

Reactions: nem
you cannot play puzzloop 2 in paddle mode with the brizzo adapter unless paddle mode uses joystick unputs for movement. the way a brizzo board works is it takes joystick input and uses that for when you move the spinner. the brizzo board is a workaround to use spinners. it does not perform the same way a spinner io does. you can play puzzloop with the brizzo board if you dont have it in paddle mode. i hope that clarifies for you @Fredo

Here is what I've read on this thread:
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/my-solution-to-the-spinner-problem.20201/

The polling rate of the IO on a CPS2 isn't fast enough to count the pulses coming off of a spinner and decode them in software. so the board essentially does that in hardware and then converts it to joystick taps. The board you've got was designed for Puzz Loop 2. The only other CPS2 spinner game is ECO Fighters, but it uses a push spinner (like Forgotten Worlds) and has a different interface board since it's wired differently. Though that Puzz-Loop 2 IO board can really be utilized to allow a Spinner to be used on any 2-way JAMMA game (like spinner controls for Puzzle Bobble or Space Invaders).

If Capcom's board can do precisely what Brizzo's board does on other systems, I don't see why Puzz Loop 2 could not work with Brizzo's board on CPS2.

I truly appreciate you trying to help, but I'm looking for a pratical answer from someone who actually tried, or maybe from @brizzo himself.

Here is what I've read on this thread:
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/my-solution-to-the-spinner-problem.20201/

If Capcom's board can do precisely what Brizzo's board does on other systems, I don't see why Puzz Loop 2 could not work with Brizzo's board on CPS2.

I truly appreciate you trying to help, but I'm looking for a pratical answer from someone who actually tried, or maybe from @brizzo himself.
i tried just now. like i said before... while capcoms io may work in a similar way to brizzo's, it does NOT do it in the exact same way. so far i have concluded that with paddle mode ON, the spinners will NOT work. this is consistent with just about EVERY game i have tested with the brizzo board that has its own dedicated io, or paddle or spinner option in the test menu. however it WILL work with 8 way joystick mode but very badly. 2 WAY option works fine enough.

the way the capcom spinner IO works is it takes input from the spinner and uses that for movement. it has its own code written into the game for controls and take factors like speed of rotation and all kinds of other stuff into consideration. the Brizzo board doesnt do that. The way the Brizzo board works is it takes input from the spinner and transfers that input into directional input, ie: right, left, down , up or pins 18-21 on jamma. the brizzo adapter is only checking if the spinner is moving left, right, or not at all.

when you set up the paddle mode in the menu and run puzz loop 2 with you spinners plugged into a Brizzo adapter, you will get as far as the start of the game, then your character will barely wiggle back and forth correspondingly with your spinner movement. this is because of what i said previously, and that spinner io does more than just read if the spinner is rotating left or right.

so definitively, i can say with the utmost degree of certainty that while the paddle mode on puzz loop 2 is engaged, the game will NOT be playable with the Brizzo adapter. paddle mode can not be engaged for spinners to function with brizzo adapter. Brizzo board WILL work if mode is set to 2 way.

Attachments

• 20230103_155914.jpg
    20230103_155914.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I can confirm that Puzz Loop 2 receives no obvious paddle input with the Brizzo adapter when set to paddle. I assume the game/Capcom adapter is using pins other than joystick left and right, but I can't confirm since it's a little hard to trace from the pictures I've seen. It might be possible that the Brizzo adapter is generating signals that the game would like, and they're just not going to the right place.

Using the 2 way joystick setting with the Brizzo adapter and the Hursit spinners seems fine to me. I can't say I'm the #1 Puzz Loop 2 fan either though.

so definitively, i can say with the utmost degree of certainty that while the paddle mode on puzz loop 2 is engaged, the game will NOT be playable with the Brizzo adapter. paddle mode can not be engaged for spinners to function with brizzo adapter. Brizzo board WILL work if mode is set to 2 way.
Well, shit, that's a defenitive answer. Thank you for taking the time to test that out. 👍🏻

im not 100% on the workings of the capcom io, but thats my educated guess based upon my experience with the way forgotten worlds works natively and other games work with the brizzo adapter. its feels different and when any game is set to a paddle or spinner mode, the input just causes the player character to wiggle back and forth a couple pixels. i am curious to know EXACTLY what is going on, but i think its safe to say at the very least the spinner io's are looking for more data than just "is the spinner spinning left, right, or not at all"

Back