What's new
It should work, but a type 1 works fine too and is much cheaper. You only need a type 3 if you plan on getting really new stuff like the ringedge. If you honestly need to know for sure I can probably boot up a naomi2 with the type 3 IO board attached, but if I were you I'd save the money and go with a type 1, since that's what came in NAOMI cabs anyway.
I know that Type 1s tend to be cheaper, but someone offered me a Type 3 Board for not much more than what Type 1s are usually going for.And since I plan to get at least a Lindbergh at some point, I'm tempted to go for the Type 3.
Type 1 works fine on lindy as well, just fyi.

I can confirm that a JVS I/O Type 1 works with Sega Naomi, Sega Naomi 2, Sega Hikaru, Namco System 246, Namco System 256 and Sega Lindbergh Yellow.

@kioku25 You can update a NetDimm with 2.06 firmware to 4.01, then to 4.02. But for whatever reason, you can't go from 2.06 to 3.17. The NAOMI just keeps rebooting. This was tested and confirmed on a NAOMI 1. Get yourself a Zero Key Pic by the time your NetDimm arrives and you are good to go.

One a side note, I used the 3.17 firmware disc to update from 2.06 without issue. Then from 3.17-to-4.02. Worked perfectly.

@kioku25 You can update a NetDimm with 2.06 firmware to 4.01, then to 4.02. But for whatever reason, you can't go from 2.06 to 3.17. The NAOMI just keeps rebooting. This was tested and confirmed on a NAOMI 1. Get yourself a Zero Key Pic by the time your NetDimm arrives and you are good to go.
Thanks for confirming that it actually does work.

@All:
Am I right in assuming that the JVS Type 1 (837-13551-92) was used in dedicated Naomi 1 racing cabs and the 837-14505 likewise was only used in Naomi 2 racing cabs? And that they are basically the same, pin outs and all?

Am I right in assuming that the JVS Type 1 (837-13551-92) was used in dedicated Naomi 1 racing cabs and the 837-14505 likewise was only used in Naomi 2 racing cabs? And that they are basically the same, pin outs and all?
no
838-13683-02 is the JVS to JAMMA board used to install NAOMI in older JAMMA compliant cab, it was used in a few dedicated cabs in the USA such as 18 Wheeler American Pro Trucker.

837-14505 and 837-13551-9 are both the JVS Type 1 board. these were used in the NAOMI Universal and Net City cabinets and has the best overall compatibility with NAOMI games (In my testing every Net Bootable NAOMI 1 and NAOMI 2 game ran this I/O board except for Sega Marine Fishing).

To My knowledge there was no "Standard" among racing games but all of the net-bootable NAOMI racing games will work with the Type 1.

If you're interested I have a compatibility chart here: NAOMI Net-Boot BIOS and I/O Board Compatibility Chart

For reference the "Type 3" I/O board that everyone praises is identical to the type 1 but it has additional output pins. This is necessary for some games because they'll refuse to boot unless there are enough outputs for LEDs available.

In my experience this includes exactly NONE of the NAOMI 2 games, and only Sega Marine Fishing on the NAOMI 1, Also 2 Spicy On the Lindbergh (all other Lindbergh Multi games support the Type 1 I/O).

Sega Marine Fishing and a handful of other NAOMI games (F355 was one of them I think) I shipped with the Type 2 I/O. This has more output pins than the Type 1 but it has fewer input pins and as such has much more compatibility issues it's also not pin compatible with the type 1 or type 3 so you'd need a completely different harness to use it...

Last edited:
Maybe I've got the model numbers mixed up, but I thought the JVS to JAMMA Adapter was numbered 838-13683-02

Last edited:
you're right 838-13683-02 is the JVS to JAMMA
and both 837-13551-92 and 837-14505 are Type 1

my apologies I wasn't fully awake when looking at the numbers earlier.

the rest of what I was saying about compatibility is still correct.

Got a new problem guys.

I finally got most of the parts needed to run my Naomi (still waiting for the JVS IO though).

So yesterday evening I hooked everything up, updated my Netdimm to 4.01, installed the Zero Key and played a couple of games. Everything was working smoothly, until this morning when I received my 512MB ram bar and installed it into my Netdimm. When I rebooted the Naomi I got an error 01, so I reseated the Netdimm and nothing, just a black screen. What the heck could have gone wrong? Could the Multi-BIOS have gotten corrupted somehow?

Bios is probably fine. Did you try replacing the RAM with the one that was working?

Yes I did put the two 128MB ones back in there, but that didn't work either. I have 2 128 MB and one 512 MB and I tried every variation possible.

Just once, when I put the 512 MB along with a 128 MB in there, I got a different error message along the lines that the ram was insufficient, but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

whenever something stops working the first question you should ask is "what changed"

if it stopped working when you replaced the ram then the ram and what you did to install it should be the first thing you look it. Even if you put the ram back it's possible that something got disconnected or broken as a result of you replacing the ram.

While it does happen it's exceedingly rare that a bios get corrupted or suddenly stops working.

A good way to verify this is to simply boot the NAOMI without the DIMM board, it should boot and give you an error but allow you into the system menu.

Believe me, I did retrace every step I took, but I couldn't find anything wrong.
Also, the Bios seems to be working ok, I can still change the regions and the test menu will display the corresponding region.

Is there a way to reset the netdimm to factory settings?

Is there a way to reset the netdimm to factory settings?
you can access the Net-DIMM settings from the system menu after you boot it up with the Net-DIMM installed. I don't remember if there's a "factory reset" option but that's the only way to change the Net-DIMM settings to my knowledge.

Is your Net-DIMM not being recognized by the NAOMI or is it just refusing to load games?

I can only access the test menu without the Netdimm inserted. As soon as I insert it, it goes to the black screen.

Apart from the one set which switches between GD-Rom an Net mode, there are a least two more sets of jumpers on the Netdimm board as well as on the daughter board. Maybe a factory reset could be induced by repositioning some of those jumpers?

Error 01 can be a power issue. So double check your voltages.

Yes, but so far I only got error 01 when the Netdimm was not inserted correctly, giving the Naomi the impression that the cartridge slot was empty.
Throwing error 01 when the cartridge slot is empty is normal behavior, isn't it?

Throwing error 01 when the cartridge slot is empty is normal behavior, isn't it?
yes but once you insert the net-dimm the net-dimm board is drawing more power from the PSU which could cause the voltages to drop enough that the whole system will fail to boot.

Back