What's new

BladeZX

Grand Master
Reaction score
If I was going to grab a Naomi system which one should I get (1 vs 2)?
Is there a multi for it or an easy way to run all of the games?
Thanks

If I was going to grab a Naomi system which one should I get (1 vs 2)?
Is there a multi for it or an easy way to run all of the games?
Thanks
1 vs 2 just depends on whether you want to run the few Naomi 2-only games. As for the second question re a Naomi multi, there's tons of info already posted about this in this same subforum. I'd suggest consulting that wealth of info before starting a new thread asking about it. Short summary = the dream of a simpler Naomi multi and the reality of the effective, if a bit complex, net-boot setup.

Look at the list of Naomi 2 exclusives and decide for yourself if you need to play them. Most of them are driving games and require specialized controls.

There are a couple multi setups for the Naomi. They all use official DIMM boards for the cartridge. Then load the games from a CF card or a network connection.

Unless you really want to play Virtua Fighter or Beach Spikers, just get a Naomi 1. Way cheaper and way more reliable.

Unless you really want to play Virtua Fighter or Beach Spikers, just get a Naomi 1. Way cheaper and way more reliable.
This. Beach Spikers is a blast though, especially with a 4P setup.

Reactions: nem
figure out your collection goals and purchase based on that. I personally wanted to have a motherboard dedicated to my MVC2 cart, so that I don't need to unlock the characters every time. Yes you can use that new hacked rom and netboot to get instant unlocks now, but that's not really the same as collecting an original arcade equipment setup. To each their own.

Ultimately I ended up wanting to have a dedicated mobo for my MBAA as well, with a real H BIOS. Sure there's the multi region rom out there now that is based on H, but I again I wanted a completely stock setup for it.

Now I also have a gundam setup with 2 motherboards and 2 carts... need to find some communication pcbs, as I gave mine away previously. So that's a small factor, do you ever see yourself playing a Naomi linked game? Then you need at least 2 motherboards.

I am an originals collector, but I also appreciate the convenience and affordability of doing netboots. It's also a great way to try games out before actually purchasing them. I have a bunch of GD-ROM drives, but never use them anymore. I also have a Naomi 2, because I like collecting the arcade motherboards Sega made.

Depending on the cabinet you are planning to use you may need a Sun PSU. You might need different JVS IOs depending on cabinets so factor that into your budget. Going netboot is cheaper than buying games, but it's still expensive. You may need to shell out for some tiny little harnesses... which hurts, or build your own cables.

tl;dr
- Do you like beach spikers/drivers where the naomi 2 is required
- Do you like original setups or do you want convenience/affordability
- Want to try linking games? You'll need 2 motherboards
- Accessorizing ain't cheap

Naomi 2 are not reliable? got more info?

Naomi 2 has two GPUs over the N1's single one, and they're vulnerable to pulling away from the motherboard over time or due to force in transit and being un-repairable - aside from the irepairsega.com guy perhaps - because of construction issues regarding (iirc) the solder used at the time. Take note online at the number of people with video issues with their N2s. The checkboard screen problem is one sign of it.

Wow I just just checking out the CAPCOM IO board I need for the Naomi and it is damn expensive - almost as much or more then the Naomi itself

why dreamcast + usb gdrom or gdemu + hackpad. I use it with 15/31khz cable. NB: atomiswave run on DC.

I like coin op. Arcade is coin op, or at least commercial equipment. Home is another thing, I also enjoy it but I don't think it's a replacement. I have actually used a dreamcast in my net city typing cab to play typing of the dead, but only because the naomi version does not have the english localization like the dreamcast version. There were some guys working on making a custom translation version of the naomi rom, but I don't think they ever finished it up.

Wow I just just checking out the CAPCOM IO board I need for the Naomi and it is damn expensive - almost as much or more then the Naomi itself
What reason do you 'need' a Capcom board? They are more expensive, but cheaper options will most often suffice...

What cabinet are you planning ot use? what games do you want to try off the bat? If you're in a US woody style cabinet and only want to play cart games, then a capcom io might actually be the best bet. It will let you use your regular arcade switcher psu to power the Naomi.

If you're in a candy cab, it depends what kind of psu it has... like is it blast city or older? or net city and newer...

If you are using a supergun then it's going to all be custom.

I like the capcom IOs and have used them forever, but people here say they add an extra frame of lag?

It will let you use your regular arcade switcher psu to power the Naomi.

it will not if you want to power a netdimm. You are better off rigging a PC PS to power the naomi.

Back