What's new
  1. Is the CPS2 kick harness the preferred option, or would it be better to have a CPS1 style kick harness connector and use adapters for CPS2 and other kick harness types? The CPS1 connector would save space on the board and make more room for an expanded auxiliary button harness. Also it seems like CPS1 is one of the easiest harness types to get adapters for.
i vote for the HAS Supergun (and Minigun supergun) style kick harness plug.

Have to agree the CPS2 kick connector reigns supreme as it is most commonly already setup for cab use.

1. Is the CPS2 kick harness the preferred option, or would it be better to have a CPS1 style kick harness connector and use adapters for CPS2 and other kick harness types? The CPS1 connector would save space on the board and make more room for an expanded auxiliary button harness. Also it seems like CPS1 is one of the easiest harness types to get adapters for.
I don’t follow...

I vote CPS2 for kicks also. All my jamma cabs have it, or an adapter to it.

The spacing is the same between JST NH and PH headers. But the Minigun doesn't have the ground connectors. I don't know about the HAS, but I would think it doesn't have the ground connections either? In any case, Superguns are designed to connector arcade PCB's to consumer displays and PVM's. You can already connect consoles to such displays. Doesn't make sense to use such a connector. JAMMAizer is for arcade cabinets where you would never find a kick harness in a cab using JST PH connectors.

CPS1 connector is fine (EDIT: to make space for B4 & B8)

CPS-2 seems to be standard. I have CPS-1 also, but 2 seems to be more commonplace. Go with 2 please.

@Arthrimus knows CPS2 is preferred. He’s trying to make room for buttons 7 & 8 without increasing footprint.

CPS2 is preferable, but CPS1 is fine given the trade-off.

A slightly bigger footprint would be a fine trade off given the cps-2 is more common.

Agreed. CPS2 is the way to go. Bigger footprint is needed if B7 & B8 are added. All that said, not insignificant work for Arthrimus.

Playing devil’s advocate, I kinda agree with this.
The HAS has the 6pin JST XH connection which is small enough to be able to squeeze in anywhere.

Besides, a full CPS2 connector is a huge waste of space. The full connector is supposed to house full P3 and P4 buttons, along with kicks for P1 and P2. I doubt people are planning on playing the 4-player games, having to deal with multitaps...and of course, having a 4P setup.

And I don’t know about you guys, but the idea of having to find or put together a female-to-male CPS2 harness sounds daunting compared to a simple 6-pin adapter cable.

I’m not sure I follow. How does the HAS kick harness connect to the buttons on the cab?

Playing devil’s advocate, I kinda agree with this.The HAS has the 6pin JST XH connection which is small enough to be able to squeeze in anywhere.

Besides, a full CPS2 connector is a huge waste of space. The full connector is supposed to house full P3 and P4 buttons, along with kicks for P1 and P2. I doubt people are planning on playing the 4-player games, having to deal with multitaps...and of course, having a 4P setup.

And I don’t know about you guys, but the idea of having to find or put together a female-to-male CPS2 harness sounds daunting compared to a simple 6-pin adapter cable.
I'm sorry, but this is confusing to me. The kick harness connector on the JAMMAizer is equivalent to a kick harness connector on an arcade PCB. So it makes sense to use something that is standard in most cabs. It seems like the consensus that the CPS2 kick harness is the most common option, and no one would have a cabinet wired with a JST XH kick harness because I don't think there are any arcade PCBs that use it. Everyone would have to use proprietary adapter cable in that case.

Well it would be reversed, right?

Kick buttons from the controller PCB’s output to the 6-pin port, then you’d have a jst-to-female CPS2...Hmm wait, now that I’ve worked it out in my head, a full CPS2 port is easier since you’d be taking the connector from a CPS2 PCB and straight connecting it to the Jammafier.

Lol, never mind! I can admit when I’m wrong. ;)

Don’t worry. It took me a while to work it out too. Ha ha.

CPS2 it is then! Although, CPS1 isn't a big deal either if it makes PCB design-life easier. Lots of us have kick harnesses terminated to both CPS1 and CPS2. But Supergun? Supergun = Presence of no cab. JAMMAizer = Console JAMMA adapter for cabs.

Anyways, thanks for taking our feedback. Can't wait! I am Ginuwine right now.........

Looks like I'll be staying with the CPS2 kick harness connector.

Alright, next question. For the auxiliary button harness, what would be the preferred connector type? Currently I have it as a JST XH connector, but I'm wanting to make connecting the auxiliary harness as easy as possible for the end user, so I was thinking about switching to 2x 5 pin JST NH type connectors. Each connector would be wired for Home, Select, P4, K4 and GND, one connector per player. That way instead of having to crimp and pin your own connectors, you could easily purchase one of the readily available Sanwa JLF wiring harnesses and solder/crimp that to your existing cabinet wiring or extend it as needed to connect the extra buttons.

Last edited:
JST NH or XH shouldn't matter for the Open Source user that will be assembling this on their own. The pitch is the same (2.50mm). The user can use either provided there is enough clearance on the side for the JST NH latch to fit. So for guys going for prefabbed JAMMAizers, it would probably be split down the middle between JST NH and JST XH.

If I were to pick, JST XH is easier to disconnect and therefore has an advantage.

I'm sorry, but this is confusing to me. The kick harness connector on the JAMMAizer is equivalent to a kick harness connector on an arcade PCB. So it makes sense to use something that is standard in most cabs. It seems like the consensus that the CPS2 kick harness is the most common option, and no one would have a cabinet wired with a JST XH kick harness because I don't think there are any arcade PCBs that use it. Everyone would have to use proprietary adapter cable in that case.
Yea, now that I think about it, the HAS kick harness makes no sense for this project.

Who can guess what's going on here?
827e7cb941a26909b0553d3fedd9fdb5.png

Button combo handling to emulate additional buttons (e.g. home)?

Back