What's new

xga

Student
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I'm repairing a Sega Outrun PCB and I have determined that the PLA chip 315-5227A on the video board is faulty by swapping it from a working board set.

I came across this page on Jamma Arcade's wiki https://www.jammarcade.net/wiki/index.php?title=Outrun which has the jedec file for the 315-5227A dumped as a PLS153. I don't have a programmer capable of programming PLS153's but the wiki page does mention that it would need some work to be usable with a GAL16V8, which my programmer does support.

Is anyone able to explain what is required to convert the PLS153 format to work with a GAL16V8, please? I've played around with the MAME tool "jedutil.exe" and can see the inputs, outputs and equations from the dumped jedec file, but I'm lost on what to do next to convert it and can't find any helpful resources to work out what to do next. :(

Would greatly appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!

@Porchy is a user here as well. I believe that if he mentions that it needs a bit of work, that means that has to be converted by someone who knows what is doing. That can be time consuming. First you need to extract the equations doing like this:
jedutil.exe -view SEGA-315-5227a.jed PLS153
Now you need to get your favourite PAL/GAL binary creator and enter those equations in the same exact way and in the same pins, so you get a compatible chip.

My advice would be to buy a couple of PLS153 from one of those Chinese sites where you get them programmed.

Eventually, if you can update your profile with your approx. location, maybe one user close to you can help.

Thanks for your reply, @Darksoft! I wasn't sure if anyone was going to be able to assist.

Yeah, that's as far as I got with the jedutil.exe tool.

Any recommendations for PAL / GAL binary creator's? Is WinCUPL the main program people use? I couldn't get it working under Windows 10, so I might have to try using it on an old Windows XP computer if it's the recommended application.

I've since updated my profile location in case any one is near me and can help.

Can you suggest any of these Chinese programming sites? I've done a few searches on phrases such as "IC programming services" but I'm not finding anything relevant. :(

Time ago I successfully converted to GAL devices most of native Out Run dumps.I remember I was able to fit equations of this '315-5227A' onto a GAL18V10 because there were too many product terms for a GAL16V8.

charles mcdonald wrote a utility for pls153, but his old site is toast!

Hi Guys.

I'm repairing a Sega Outrun PCB and I have determined that the PLA chip 315-5227A on the video board is faulty by swapping it from a working board set.

I came across this page on Jamma Arcade's wiki https://www.jammarcade.net/wiki/index.php?title=Outrun which has the jedec file for the 315-5227A dumped as a PLS153. I don't have a programmer capable of programming PLS153's but the wiki page does mention that it would need some work to be usable with a GAL16V8, which my programmer does support.

Is anyone able to explain what is required to convert the PLS153 format to work with a GAL16V8, please? I've played around with the MAME tool "jedutil.exe" and can see the inputs, outputs and equations from the dumped jedec file, but I'm lost on what to do next to convert it and can't find any helpful resources to work out what to do next. :(

Would greatly appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!
Depending on how pins were used/assigned GAL16V8 (8 outputs) isn't a drop in replacement for PLS153 (10 outputs). GAL18V10 is probably what you need.

As @Darksoft said, great Teamwork guys! Thanks @Porchy, @caius, @stj and @Apocalypse

It's a shame that it can't fit into a GAL16V8 as my programmer doesn't support GAL18V10's. I will have to try and source a programmer that is capable of programming a GAL18V10 or find a service / someone that can perform for me.

Thanks again, @Apocalypse! :)

I've just placed an order with them now.

Back