What's new

rolins

Student
Reaction score
I have Amiga 1080 RGB monitor that i use for all my arcade games. Solid picture and vibrant colors. Had it for nearly a decade and the previous owner used all day back in the '90s. The markings on the monitor states it was manufactured in April 1986, 34 years ago! I think i'm the first person to do a re-cap this monitor because i see no evidence of rework. I find it amazing this monitor has performed this well after 34 years of abuse.

Just recently its age was starting to show. All of sudden the picture isn't quite as stable and the color as well. So i figure its time to replace all the caps. It has 75 electrolytic capacitors and i have gathered all of them except one. This one pictured below. Its a 2.2uF 250V Non-Polar cap. Does any know of a place that may sell this?

I've check the usually places like ebay, mouser, and digikey. I dont't think i can just put a polarized cap in its place.

Attachments

• non-polar_cap1.jpg
    non-polar_cap1.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 162
You could replace it with a film cap or you could combine two polarized electrolytic caps to make a bipolar one.

You could replace it with a film cap or you could combine two polarized electrolytic caps to make a bipolar one.
Thanks, I'll have to look into that film cap. Putting two caps in series i think would be a no-go. There wouldn't be any room except maybe dangle them off to the side. But also trying to find two 4.4uF caps would be tough.

I found the service manual for this monitor and t includes a full schematic and common part list. This 2.2uF non-polar cap is part of the monitor's audio amp circuit. The cap is there to block the DC going into the transformer which is connected directly to the speaker. So glad this cap has nothing to do with the video.

Back