What's new

numbski

Student
Reaction score
I have this suicided XMvSF A/Revision 7 B-board set that did work for me once upon a time. First it suicided (I was stupid), then one day when I was taking it all apart, I managed to snap the pin off of CN4 B32 on the A-Board. UGH.

YksKbbi.jpg

I tried to repair the pin, but eventually gave up and ran a jumper wire from the back of CN4 onto the matching solder point on the B-Board:

p0TxwW4.jpg

dd7R1CN.jpg

I have an F PAL, and considering I already have one jumper wire, why not 3? So the F PAL jumper wire is in place, the auto-reset jumper wire is in place, and finally the jumper wire for my fubar'ed B32 pin.

U15v1cf.jpg

fkMRdIm.jpg

When I turn the game on, it doesn't boot. I either get a blank, solid-colored screen, or a pretty fixed pattern:

aHM5GH6.jpg

yAcF9EO.jpg

If I try to switch games and let the multi-kit auto-reset, this happens:

On top of all of that, while troubleshooting this mess, I lost my cool - I tried to rip the resister at EXC5 out of the board without removing the solder. Stupid me. Doesn't seem to have impacted anything, but just the same, I should clean that up.

xh2kFSf.jpg

I'm curious to know where I should be looking to troubleshoot. I have this thing pushed together as best I can. I have no idea what to make of this, and noticed there's no test rom in the rollup - and even if there were, that would only prove that the board is suicided, right?

Last edited:
Just grabbed the latest US rollup. I see the "System Test" there. Boots to a white screen with triangles, and after about a minute it glitches out badly.

J2VJ9kL.jpg

Last edited:
Might be worth mentioning that there is no sound, either.

EDIT - I think I might have a lead! Looking at someone else's pictures elsewhere on the forums, I noticed something different about my board versus theirs:

XUkFUtp.jpg

CN2 A32 to C32 isn't bridged by anything on my board, meanwhile - here's someone else's:

4UZqwgv.jpg

The picture is too small for me to read the value of it, but there's definitely a component missing. Maybe I damaged this at some point in the past and didn't realize it?

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=27406

EDIT2 - nevermind. Mine is 93646b-7, not -4.

Last edited:
Where are you located?

BTW you can delete that system test. It's just some of Razoola's bullshit.

You have no idea how hilarious it is to me that nearly 20 years later, people are calling Raz on "bullshit". PFfffft.

I'm in St. Louis, Missouri in the US.

You have no idea how hilarious it is to me that nearly 20 years later, people are calling Raz on "bullshit". PFfffft.

I'm in St. Louis, Missouri in the US.
+1 :)

Mitsu is your man. He's based in NC.

I was around back during the whole Kallus2 stuff in 1998. Spent most of my time at EmuChrist, but spent time at Retrogames, too.

Grown up quite a bit technically since then. I still recall my signature over at EmuChrist towards the end:

> If a tree falls in the forest, and there is no one around to see it, shouldn't we all send Raz more money?

The system test was Razoola trying to drag our multi through the mud. He's not welcome here and can eat a whole bag of dicks.

Try soldering that resistor. Reset EXC5 again and if it doesn't work, send it to Mitsu if he thinks he can fix it.

95% sure I can. I can at least get it running on his B-board. Not sure about the A-board though.

I know it is a 4K resistor, but I can't tell the orientation from that image. :\ Guess I can try it both ways.

You should try a smaller card as well and load it using windows. Seems like the 32GB cards don't work so well.

I have a 4GB Sandisk card that I get the same results with. I'm willing to try it with windows, just can't get my hands on a box right now. Might have to plug in an external hard drive to do it. There's also the public library up the street from my house. If they have a card reader I can use that would be simple enough. Toss the files on my thumb drive and copy one to the other.

Using a MAC to load your cards causes all sorts of troubles with these kits because of the garbage files MACs add.

I know it is a 4K resistor, but I can't tell the orientation from that image. :\ Guess I can try it both ways.
ehem, resistors don't have orientation. You can connect it either way.

Be nice. Network engineer first, perl and javascript coder second, electronics comes in a solid 16th or so. The things I do for the love of fighting games.

Back