What's new
Meh, even $50 is cheap nowadays. People sell it for $75+. The hobby is ruined. ;(

$74.80 AU with delivery and GST. I was only 0.20c off. :D

Decathlete doesn't count.

Better than OLED and OSD for sure.

Bare carts sell for about $25-30. You'd probably pay $50 on eBay, because, eBay.
Double that, because COVID. All "leave me alone I'm playing video games" items have doubled in price. Cheapest I'm seeing for a bare cart of Die Hard on the eBays is ~75$, but also seeing them for ~99$+.

some people look at this hobby as an invetment
the bar keeps on being pushed up and up
and we all suffer

I have my doubts, re investment potential in the long-term.

I've seen it before with other hobbies, collectibles. What goes up inevitably comes down.

Arcade PCBs are fragile and sometimes temperamental beasts, most of them will fail before they reach in investment $$$.

That and the younger generations won't give a stuff about this stuff as we do, and we'll all be old and dead. :P

I have my doubts, re investment potential in the long-term.

I've seen it before with other hobbies, collectibles. What goes up inevitably comes down.

Arcade PCBs are fragile and sometimes temperamental beasts, most of them will fail before they reach in investment $$$.

That and the younger generations won't give a stuff about this stuff as we do, and we'll all be old and dead. :P
It's crazy if you go look at what things are selling for at Heritage Auctions and the like... Stuff that isn't even uncommon, much less rare. We are currently in an expanding bubble, that will in time burst. Which is a PITA for those of us who just wanna play games.

Happens in all hobbies unfortunately. Same shit happened with records. I’m sitting close to a 20,000 piece vinyl collection. And a lot of the shit that people used to pay you to take away is somehow now worth a mint. I just laugh it off when people come by and ogle and tell me about how much certain funk, latin, jazz or soul records worth. Been collecting since the 80’s but haven’t bought anything since the “vinyl revival” happened 5 years or so ago...

But it’s best not to spend too much time thinking about it all honestly. Buy the games you can afford and just enjoy them. Life’s definitely way too short to have regrets.

In saying all that, prices are absolutely stupid. The few Cave games I’m missing, I could buy a pretty nice new car instead.

Happens in all hobbies unfortunately. Same shit happened with records. I’m sitting close to a 20,000 piece vinyl collection. And a lot of the shit that people used to pay you to take away is somehow now worth a mint. I just laugh it off when people come by and ogle and tell me about how much certain funk, latin, jazz or soul records worth. Been collecting since the 80’s but haven’t bought anything since the “vinyl revival” happened 5 years or so ago...

But it’s best not to spend too much time thinking about it all honestly. Buy the games you can afford and just enjoy them. Life’s definitely way too short to have regrets.

In saying all that, prices are absolutely stupid. The few Cave games I’m missing, I could buy a pretty nice new car instead.
I do have to admit, I am at times tempted to sell off some of my pricer Neo Geo MVS & CD games... especially with the Furrtek Neo Geo SD board on its way. But naw...

are there any pin-compatable 4meg flashchips for these carts?
i have a sports game - probably decathlete at the back of a cupboard i'd like to turn into something playable!
maybe cotton - because i like sidescrollers

The only available 4 meg flash chips are 3.3v and the supply to the cart is 5v. You can so conversions but it's a bit of a mess. Also I think Decathlete has a protection chip of sorts so it's not a straight conversion. Source: opening many carts to check if they are bootleg or not.

I've got about a 1200 piece vinyl collection myself. Value wise it's out paced my 401K recently, no joke. Mine is mostly dance music and hip hop, but a lot of the limited run house and jungle etc. is worth a lot now.

Yep, the vinyl revival has worked really nicely financially for me. Things that were $10 all day every day, are sometimes now priced at $500+. Very thankful to have picked up a lot of private press, oddball stuff to sample back in the day. I also kept some deadstock boxes of really random things from warehouse finds which always tend to send people in a frenzy when I've leaked them out. It's all very redundant for me these days as I DJ off a hard drive now and have everything accessible in a search bar :)

Good work, but if you're going to cash out, do so in the next few years. There's absolutely no way this will last.

i'm not concerned about voltage conversion or bypassing the protection chip,
i just dont like the idea of wasting my 8meg chips that may not even be pin-compatable if i can buy 4meg virtual dropin's
that's also why i dont want to do like in the earlier photo and shove a bunch of 27c322's in the shell!

The 29L3211(?) is pin compatible. Seen it in a few bootlegs and conversions. You have to lift pin 1 and pull it to Vcc to enable write protection. Vcc is 3.3v for these chips if I wasn't clear.
From memory you don't need to protect the address and control lines and the data lines are within acceptable limits for TTL logic levels. It just works.
I will check again when I have the time to do some analysis for the STV riser I'm working on.

Reactions: stj
that's also why i dont want to do like in the earlier photo and shove a bunch of 27c322's in the shell!
Well, technically, the one in the image is not an EPROM. It's some flash thing on an adapter. Look at the legs.

Back