What's new

100Proof

Professional
Reaction score
Ugh... so the Nanao on my Astro City has started the dreaded "out of focus and only on half the screen" issue when powered on but tends to unfuck itself after about 5 minutes (especially if I power cycle it). The V-hold has always been a little touchy (I have to dial it in more frequently than any other monitor I've ever owned). I cleaned everything up and don't see any damage (leaking caps, etc.) but I'm pretty useless when it comes to this kind of thing once you get past the basics.I've tried several different boards and the power supply seems to be fine (on the multimeter at least) but looking at other threads, it seems like this could be one of several issues (the flyback, the neckboard, maybe a cap kit).

I'm open to any advice on little things I can try but more than anything, if there's anybody local (Raleigh/Durham) who has more experience with this kind of shit, I'd be glad to buy somebody dinner or part with a cheap board/Neo cart if somebody can come by and help me figure this out. Hell, I''d gladly pay but I'll probably need to buy parts and what not first.

While it's only a mild irritation right now, I don't want it to develop in to a dead monitor.

astro.jpg

second that, had an MS2931 that had to warm up before showing a picture. Recap completely fixed that issue.

Appreciate the advice. Still looking for locals for hands-on assistance. Never recapped a monitor before and am uncomfortable doing it myself.

Got my monitor fully recapped (picture looks great!) but now it turns off after 5-10 minutes (not so great). It doesn't look like hori/vertical collapse (it seems to just flick off) and sound keeps playing.

Power supply? Flyback? The caps all look good and I don't see anything out of place but I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous here so I don't wanna tinker too much.

My guess it's an out of spec capacitor somewhere. You would need to check against another chassis.

Double check all your caps are correct and check solder joints.

Appreciate the feedback. I'll take one more go at this but I may just end up sending this out to what's-his-name in CA that specializes in these monitors.

Ugh... so the Nanao on my Astro City has started the dreaded "out of focus and only on half the screen" issue when powered on but tends to unfuck itself after about 5 minutes (especially if I power cycle it). The V-hold has always been a little touchy (I have to dial it in more frequently than any other monitor I've ever owned). I cleaned everything up and don't see any damage (leaking caps, etc.) but I'm pretty useless when it comes to this kind of thing once you get past the basics.I've tried several different boards and the power supply seems to be fine (on the multimeter at least) but looking at other threads, it seems like this could be one of several issues (the flyback, the neckboard, maybe a cap kit).

I'm open to any advice on little things I can try but more than anything, if there's anybody local (Raleigh/Durham) who has more experience with this kind of shit, I'd be glad to buy somebody dinner or part with a cheap board/Neo cart if somebody can come by and help me figure this out. Hell, I''d gladly pay but I'll probably need to buy parts and what not first.

While it's only a mild irritation right now, I don't want it to develop in to a dead monitor.

astro.jpg
I think a cap kit would fix it, I'd do it for you but moved a few years ago from high point to San Jose lol... You could send it to sharp image repair in Vegas though.

Back