What's new

SmokeMonster

Champion
Reaction score
Post any interesting Neo Geo MVS/AES hacks, homebrew, etc, that you know of. I'll start with a few:

Neo Geo Monitor Test Patterns by NeoHomebrew.com
Monitor calibration tools similar to the 240p Test Suite. RetroRGB asked if I could build this rom, and I attempted to make it. You replace the roms in a cart that has PROGGSC and CHA42G boards, such as Fatal Fury Special. I built it, but it doesn't load in MAME. Here's my rom if someone could test it on hardware. I also tried with Samurai Shodown as a base, without luck.

Ironclad Brikinger - Neo Geo CD Exclusive & MVS Prototype
A fixed MVS prototype released in 2009 on the Wii Virtual Console. The roms it contains are identical to the MAME prototype or Ironclad, but with a number of bugfixes and English menus.

Zintrick - Neo Geo CD Exclusive
CD to cart conversion hack. Puzzler. Was there also a dump of the MVS prototype?

SNK vs Capcom Chaos EX Plus - Hack
New moves and mechanics, and has sound fixes. From the Top 5 thread. Does anyone have more info about this?

King of Fighters '98 Anniversary Edition 2016 - Hack
New characters, new customer EX characters, new moves, new system, new mechanics, new graphics. From the Top 5 thread. Does this run on real hardware?

Crossed Swords II - Neo Geo CD Exclusive
CD to cart conversion hack. Was this rom released freely?

if you are planning on doing roll up packs for the NG multi, this should be on it

Very cool. CS2 is good then since it was released to the world for free.

I'll be extremely careful not to include anything in my packs by either group unless they've expressly made the roms available. I do this with my EverDrive Packs too to protect indie devs.

Feel free to give them a mention in this thread though! :D

This thread made the news (starts at 6:39):
Subscribe to RetroRGB's Channel for weekly updates on the Darksoft MVS Multi and everything else in classic gaming :D

Hey all,

Don't know if this has been brought up before, but is there any chance for licensed NGDEVteam support on these carts? I would love a chance to play GunLord on my MVS without ponying up 500$, but I would definitely pay for a licensed version on the cart.

ALSO:

Sorry to go a little off topic here, could you describe the sound glitch in the original SVC Chaos Cart? I originally thought my Omega CMVS I bought last month was having issues, but I was able to reproduce this strange crackling/popping during certain moves and sound effects during gameplay on my friend's MVS as well. I've been trying to research this topic but so far have come up empty.

Edit: I misread your post. Users have brought up that idea, but nothing has ever been brought up officially to my knowledge. I agree that being able to purchase licensed roms would be cool. I recently bought an Atlantean rom for my Turbo EverDrive and thought it was incredible to be able to play the game and support the developer, without having to wait and shell out for the physical copy.

I'm not sure about your SVC glitches, but the sound was good on my 161 cart's version. Maybe it's your cart?

Post any interesting Neo Geo MVS/AES hacks, homebrew, etc, that you know of. I'll start with a few:

SNK vs Capcom Chaos EX Plus - Hack
New moves and mechanics, and has sound fixes. From the Top 5 thread. Does anyone have more info about this?

Very well could be the cart. I reflowed a few pins but didn't want to commit to doing every last chip. The above is what I was referring to.

Hey all,

Don't know if this has been brought up before, but is there any chance for licensed NGDEVteam support on these carts? I would love a chance to play GunLord on my MVS without ponying up 500$, but I would definitely pay for a licensed version on the cart.

ALSO:

Sorry to go a little off topic here, could you describe the sound glitch in the original SVC Chaos Cart? I originally thought my Omega CMVS I bought last month was having issues, but I was able to reproduce this strange crackling/popping during certain moves and sound effects during gameplay on my friend's MVS as well. I've been trying to research this topic but so far have come up empty.
I have asked NGDEVTEAM. They DON'T want their games running on any multi cart and they are not interested on working on a license system. End of the story.

Hey all,

ALSO:

I have asked NGDEVTEAM. They DON'T want their games running on any multi cart and they are not interested on working on a license system. End of the story.
That's a shame but fair enough! Thanks for all the work you're doing. Can't wait to try the cart!

I'm still accepting any suggestions for homebrew to include.

Zarradeth sent me the full Neo Geo MAME 0.183 set. So far, I've organized the official games from the unofficial, separated the standalone PCB roms, separated the old revisions, and deleted MAME's Last Hope since I'd never include indie content that hasn't been made freely available.

Basically, the Neo Geo Base Pack will have all official games (newest revision). There will be an additional add-on with unofficial, older revisions, standalone PCB roms, etc. I also found 18 modern King of Fighters hacks, but I'm not sure if they work on real hardware. We'll have to cross our fingers since they were designed for emulation as far as I can tell.

And I dreamed up this for the Roll-Up Packs. Not my best design though, so it will probably change:
Darksoft Neo Geo Roll-Up Pack.png

@Darksoft I hear the cart can handle some cave games too. Better get the do donpachi rom ready SM! :D

Back