What's new

darksofter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just received my CPS2 A+B system. When I fired up the board, I immediately was annoyed by the loud noise of the fan. I am looking to replace the it. I don't want to solder anything and just want to get to the board, unplug the old fan and replace it with a comparably silent one. What fans can you recommend and where can I buy it?

Thanks in advance.

Any 60mm fan will work (60mm x 15mm deep). Here's the one that I used, which is $2.88/shipped. The problem is that almost all small fans, including 60mms, will run a bit loud. I installed this fan speed controller inside my A board and turned its speed all the way down.

No soldering is required, you just have to remove the fan speed controller's plastic shell and secure it in place with double-sided tape. I did shorten the wires on mine though to keep it clean. It's completely silent but still keeps a nice flow of air. I also took the precaution of replacing the thermal compound on the heat-sink with arctic silver.

Here's how it looks installed:
index.php

I had to replace my fan as well, I didn't do such a neat adjustment mod tho... Nice work again SM!

Thank you for the help. What do you guys think of those PC silent fans such as Noctua which are of course pricier?

Cheapest solution ever:

Cut a trace at the side of the board near the jamma connector and redirect it to 5V. Keep the original fan as it's a pretty nice high quality Japanese fan and has real ball bearing. It only sounds like a jet engine due to the plastic casing design.

Very likely the noise was actually an "intended feature" to annoy collectors. It doesn't bother operators at all since it's supposed to be kept enclosed inside the cab...

I mentioned this on Arcade Otaku, but people based in the UK can pick up a nice swap in replacement fan for a fiver at Maplins.

Their online site is pretty pants, so I haven't got a link to hand, i just happened upon some for sale about 6 months ago, so they should still have some in store.

So if the Fan only needs 2 pins, 12v and GND, what it running on the third pin and the Chinese fans and is it necessary?

It only needs two pins. Three are just there for PCs, to give the option of 5V or 12V.
I believe this is incorrect. The third cable is for the tachometer, that allows the PC to masure the speed of the fan and regulate it (lowering the voltage). For every full turn, the fan will send two electric pulses on this third cable, the more frequent the pulses are, the faster the fan is spinning. That is used by the PC to measure its speed. Since CPS2 boards are not that smart, third cable is not needed.

Regards.

Any 60mm fan will work (60mm x 15mm deep). Here's the one that I used, which is $2.88/shipped. The problem is that almost all small fans, including 60mms, will run a bit loud. I installed this fan speed controller inside my A board and turned its speed all the way down.

No soldering is required, you just have to remove the fan speed controller's plastic shell and secure it in place with double-sided tape. I did shorten the wires on mine though to keep it clean. It's completely silent but still keeps a nice flow of air. I also took the precaution of replacing the thermal compound on the heat-sink with arctic silver.

Here's how it looks installed:
index.php
Why is your fan installed backwards? Is it a reverse polarity fan that sucks instead of blows?

Back