What's new

typex

Beginner
Reaction score
I have a dedicated Taito TypeX setup for Tetris and it works great, but it's a pain to move around. I wanted to see if something more portable could be made, like consolization projects.

Can you help me think out the project? Or make hardware suggestions?

• Above all, must avoid input lag. This is why I use real Sega I/O and not loader.
  • Needs accessible COM port, either pins on motherboard or RS232, to connect Sega I/O board. No USB to serial allowed!
  • GPU speed must be greater than or equal to Taito Type X, run with no stutter. Not sure how to measure needs of this game with mobile GPU.
  • GPU needs analogue video output (NTSC composite or s-video). I only use CRT to avoid lag.
  • Original uses Windows XP. Is it okay to use newer OS?
  • Laptop or small form factor, maybe Mini/micro/nano-ITX board?
  • All hardware must fit in one project box with two DB15 ports, one power, analogue video. If laptop, separate box maybe OK.
Windows XP concerns:
  • Does newer Windows OS and Type X game cause problems? Since Sega I/O uses serial connection, maybe not an input lag problem.
  • Drivers are difficult to find for XP, more if XP SP2 or earlier.
Something like older laptop on eBay may be ideal, but not sure which model meets requirements.

Thank you for your input! ;)

For portability you're going to want to use a mini-ITX motherboard... But surprise surprise, no mini-ITX motherboard made today has COM ports.

You might be able to use a pci-e card to add this option, but then welcome to problem two... Mini-ITX motherboards only have one pci-e slot, if you use it for the I/O you will not be able to use a video card.

Sorry but if you want portable you will be forced to go PC Loader, no way around that without having a board designed from scratch to meet your needs.

For portability you're going to want to use a mini-ITX motherboard... But surprise surprise, no mini-ITX motherboard made today has COM ports.

You might be able to use a pci-e card to add this option, but then welcome to problem two... Mini-ITX motherboards only have one pci-e slot, if you use it for the I/O you will not be able to use a video card.

Sorry but if you want portable you will be forced to go PC Loader, no way around that without having a board designed from scratch to meet your needs.
Thank you for the info, but I don't want to compromise on COM port. Maybe I could find older model mini-ITX with COM ports? The difficulty is to determine if boards can run the game smoothly. It is possible newer onboard GPU can run this game without extra graphics card. Some motherboards have a place for serial, but needs soldering or adapter.

Can you tell me what is that COM port needed for?
To add to Niko's comment, I am using the COM port for input (via I/O board) instead of loader that emulates/bypasses JVC board to remap joystick. The loader has known issues, and adds too much input latency for faster levels.

The loader has known issues, and adds too much input latency for faster levels
Sad but true, the loader isn't perfect.

That real COM port on the motherboard however, could games be patched to use another simi-common direct input modern resource like...

Some motherboards have a place for serial, but needs soldering or adapter
?

Get one of these or similar: Jetway NF9E-Q77 Ivy Bridge Desktop Mini-ITX Motherboard. I used some of these for clients that needed onboard com ports. Not sure if it meets what you need, but for my purposes they are really well built boards, rock solid. I am using one of these on my Plex server right now, has been running for over almost 3 years non-stop, no issues.

Get one of these or similar: Jetway NF9E-Q77 Ivy Bridge Desktop Mini-ITX Motherboard. I used some of these for clients that needed onboard com ports. Not sure if it meets what you need, but for my purposes they are really well built boards, rock solid. I am using one of these on my Plex server right now, has been running for over almost 3 years non-stop, no issues.
This looks promising, and even supports XP. Thanks!

The loader has known issues, and adds too much input latency for faster levels
Sad but true, the loader isn't perfect.
That real COM port on the motherboard however, could games be patched to use another simi-common direct input modern resource like...

Some motherboards have a place for serial, but needs soldering or adapter
?
For single player, the old gravis gamepad would have enough buttons for Tetris gameplay (directions + 4 buttons), and might meet latency requirements, but I could not patch myself. This would require a PCI card with old gameport. Parallel ports have been used for game controllers, and it would be easier to find a recent motherboard/laptop with parallel port.

Some motherboards don't put the COM port or header for COM port on a model, but you may still see the place meant for it and add it yourself.

Back