What's new

Jfonzy

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m new. Has anybody ever made a 1-player stick for 4-player TMNT with a switch installed that can play any turtle? Ideally you’d have four individual credit buttons for each turtle that would also act as the switch to the controller wiring for that turtle. My guess is that this would be extremely difficult to do if not impossible, but I have no clue.

Here’s a drawing of the idea with external buttons/dial switch.
3E7AA52C-D293-4BE2-907E-614990F52105.jpeg

Cool idea, what would happen if two people picked the same turtle? If it’s for one player, then won’t just putting two player ROMs be easier?

Well I was just thinking of 1-player, so yeah, for sure could do the 2-player ROM. But it would be nice to be able to have the 4-player option if desired. So if I had this “magic stick” I could keep the 4-player while still being able to select whichever turtle I want. Or I could just make four sticks BUT WHERE’S THE FUN IN THAT!? XD

So.. I need (6) 4-position switches for each input.

2B02F23F-6ACD-456E-8DF2-8DCD72F67DF0.jpeg

what is your goal for this project? as in what is the reason you want 4 players routed to a single player's control?

cab or supergun?
nothing yet, just have the board and the 3/4 player harnesses. I don’t have a supergun yet, so I figured I’d make it a console for now.
Consolized TMNT? That’s a lot of work for one pcb (and the controller isn’t the hard part).

But you could build controllers and ports (db15 is my go-to) like a regular console. Then just plug whatever controller into whichever port you want.

I’d recommend a supergun to save yourself a lot of headache. Then you could still build the 3/4p into extra controller ports. Or better buy a HAS (could be a while...) and a Konami 3/4p adapter, then you’re set. Plug in simple controller to whichever player you need.

How about linking joystick / action outputs together at jamma edge ( not pcb ) 1p controls to 2p 3p up etc so one joystick is inputing all players ( but only the one your playing )
I would do all links on a jamma extender so can be removed after.

So your control panel will have one joystick and one set of buttons ( all linked )and You just need 4 buttons to the turtles credit ( to pick which ever )

Let us know how you get on.

Pizza Time!

I’d recommend a supergun to save yourself a lot of headache. Then you could still build the 3/4p into extra controller ports. Or better buy a HAS (could be a while...) and a Konami 3/4p adapter, then you’re set. Plug in simple controller to whichever player you need.
tbh that sounds like the least amount of trouble - the only problem is that the waiting list is pretty long...

perhaps @Frank_fjs supergun is also a alternative, but i don't know atm if it has an 4p option...

How about linking joystick / action outputs together at jamma edge ( not pcb ) 1p controls to 2p 3p up etc so one joystick is inputing all players ( but only the one your playing )

So your control panel will have one joystick and one set of buttons ( all linked )and You just need 4 buttons to the turtles credit ( to pick which ever )

Pizza Time!
Hey this idea is good b/c you could then apply this tool to other Konami games that are stuck to player/joystick like X-Men or Sunset Riders!

cab or supergun?
nothing yet, just have the board and the 3/4 player harnesses. I don’t have a supergun yet, so I figured I’d make it a console for now.
Consolized TMNT? That’s a lot of work for one pcb (and the controller isn’t the hard part).
But you could build controllers and ports (db15 is my go-to) like a regular console. Then just plug whatever controller into whichever port you want.

yeah I want to get a HAS, but who knows how long the wait is. In the meantime, I’m just contemplating ways I could just build it out to play it now, with an interesting feature like this. I know I could just make four controller ports and just plug in my stick to whatever turtle I want to use, but it would just be cool to be able to select it on the CP.

Pizza Time!
yeah I guess that would still work without an actual switch, since input without a credit does nothing. Just wouldn’t want to screw up the PCB or something doing it this way, which it shouldn’t.

(Since I’ve never done any mods like this before) Are there 4-way splitters I could buy to make it a cleaner cable, or would I just be roughly soldering 5 wires together?

what is your goal for this project? as in what is the reason you want 4 players routed to a single player's control?
To be able to select which turtle I want to use on the 1P panel. You can’t select your turtle unless you have the 2P ROM installed, which I don’t want to do. The only way to select your turtle in 4P is by inputting a credit on that turtle’s respective coin slot and using that turtle’s controls.

So, instead of making four controller ports and plugging my controller into one of the four turtle’s port, I wanted to make something on a single controller to be able to pick my turtle instead of unplugging and replugging or building four sticks.

Maybe it would work if you wired all the buttons but just used the switch to apply ground to the player you want to use?
How would this work when everything is common ground?

EDIT: so technically it's 6 inputs (up, down, left, right, A, B) times 4 characters. Surely there's a rotary switch for the job? Mind you, it's probably not going to be a cheap part.

Last edited:
On a jamma extention or finger board pcb just jump from 1p up to 2p up to 3p up and 4p up, rinse and repeat for all inputs.

Fit this just like any jamma adaptor between pcb and jamma loom. ( easy to remove if not needed )

Can't see this being an issue as kids always bash the non playing turtle controls when only one player in game( back in the day )even if you did credit up two turtles in same game they would just copy all moves.

" Duh who turned the lights out "

On a jamma extention or finger board pcb just jump from 1p up to 2p up to 3p up and 4p up, rinse and repeat for all inputs.

Fit this just like any jamma adaptor between pcb and jamma loom. ( easy to remove if not needed )

Can't see this being an issue as kids always bash the non playing turtle controls when only one player in game( back in the day )even if you did credit up two turtles in same game they would just copy all moves.

yeah it shouldn’t be any different than that scenario. I was thinking about how kids bang on the non-player controllers too.

one concern I have is that I would also be sending power to all controls.. I don’t know if power is typically sent through the unused controls when they are not in use.

so technically it's 6 inputs (up, down, left, right, A, B) times 4 characters. Surely there's a rotary switch for the job? Mind you, it's probably not going to be a cheap part.
I've got a bunch of old 4:1 8pin mini din rotary switches (before I went with a SCART auto switch this is how I changed video input on my xRGB/OSSC).
They are pretty cheap, I think I spent about 10$~15$ a pop.

If you made all your controller heads 8pin, you could easily use this switch to change controls without fear of leaving active wires still connected.

I don't want to be a douchebag, but fuck it... Honestly this project is a really really bad/dumb idea.
I recommend you just abandon it in favor of the 2-player TMNT ROM that lets you select what Turtle you want to be at coin-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back