What's new
I was kind of thinking it would be nice to integrate the solution into whatever PiForce Tools (whatever the RPi netboot solution is). I don't currently use it, but may migrate to it for my setup.

The thing is I've just got a driving cabinet, so I'm not sure there are many other driving games I can netboot that use this same card reader. I wouldn't boot Derby Owners... maybe Club Kart.

I'd love to see a card reader emulator for WMMT, but it doesn't use the same reader and probably not the same protocol, so I can't help on that one since I don't have a physical card reader to sniff for it.

Club Kart is another story, protocol is much different (have ASCII coded commands), but more-less similar generic idea as ID one.

can you send some custom data to reader using 232Analyzer ? and get its reply

I was kind of thinking it would be nice to integrate the solution into whatever PiForce Tools (whatever the RPi netboot solution is). I don't currently use it, but may migrate to it for my setup.
The thing is I've just got a driving cabinet, so I'm not sure there are many other driving games I can netboot that use this same card reader. I wouldn't boot Derby Owners... maybe Club Kart.

I'd love to see a card reader emulator for WMMT, but it doesn't use the same reader and probably not the same protocol, so I can't help on that one since I don't have a physical card reader to sniff for it.
It's the same thing.... Pi-Force tools was setup to use Raspberry Pi version 1 but it works with version 2 and should also work with Raspberry Pi Zero.

The LCD attached to the Pi uses the GPIO pins to run the LCD add-on board. I'm not entirely sure if there are enough free pins to run both the LCD attachment and a serial port for the card connection. there might be other options though like using a USB serial adapter.

I suggested the Pi Zero as the normal Pi 1 and 2 is about $35 and this setup wouldn't really many of the more advanced features of the normal Pi 1 and 2

I suggested the Pi Zero as the normal Pi 1 and 2 is about $35 and this setup wouldn't really many of the more advanced features of the normal Pi 1 and 2
Does PiForce require an onboard ethernet port, though?

I guess I was thinking in a regular RPi, even if all GPIO pins are taken up with the LCD/buttons, a USB serial adapter could be used.

Club Kart is another story, protocol is much different (have ASCII coded commands), but more-less similar generic idea as ID one.

can you send some custom data to reader using 232Analyzer ? and get its reply
I should be able to. What should I send?

I should be able to. What should I send?
with no card inserted

02 07 10 00 00 00 31 03 25
05 (if reply is not 02 06 10 A0 30 30 03 B5 wait and/or sent 05 again)
02 0B 78 00 00 00 37 31 30 30 30 03 46
02 09 33 00 00 00 30 31 30 03 08

thanks in advance

I don't get it. if you mean detailed commands descriptions - I'd like to know/have it as well. hope someone else put some brains on and figure out a bit of it.
all known for me info is here (packet format), here (guesses about commands functions) and here (more huge guesses about Load/read command)

still have no idea what constantly repeated commands 0x20 and 0x40 really does, any ideas ?

PS in any way, this information is more than enough to make working emulator for InitialD games.
but not for "Derby Owners" series, which uses exactly same protocol but in some other way and it doesn't happy with my selfmade/guessed reply packets, it wants real data.

Last edited:
I don't get it. if you mean detailed commands descriptions - I'd like to know/have it as well. hope someone else put some brains on and figure out a bit of it.
all known for me info is here (packet format), here (guesses about commands functions) and here (more huge guesses about Load/read command)

still have no idea what constantly repeated commands 0x20 and 0x40 really does, any ideas ?
your packet format info is what i needed. for some reason i did not see that post before asking. from what i noticed, the 0x20 command is checking to make sure card is still inserted for ready to write. i am not too sure yet.

the 0x20 command is checking to make sure card is still inserted for ready to write
it seems you never seen its working ? ;)

then you put card into front of reader during ID game work after coin on:
- card will be pulled far inside in reader (you can see it in this log - during 0x33 '216' command sensor bits changed from 0x00 (no card) 0x01 (card was inserted in front of reader) 0x03 (card started to pull inside by mech), and up to 0x18 (card fully pulled inside) ) so player cant take it back.
- front door will be closed 0xd0 cmd with parameter '0' so no other cards can be inserted.

so then card already inside it will be always there,
until door becomes opened (0xd0 with '1' param) and eject command 0x80 happened
btw all this can be clearly seen in logs

the 0x20 command is checking to make sure card is still inserted for ready to write
it seems you never seen its working ? ;)
then you put card into front of reader during ID game work after coin on:
- card will be pulled far inside in reader (you can see it in this log - during 0x33 '216' command sensor bits changed from 0x00 (no card) 0x01 (card was inserted in front of reader) 0x03 (card started to pull inside by mech), and up to 0x18 (card fully pulled inside) ) so player cant take it back.
- front door will be closed 0xd0 cmd with parameter '0' so no other cards can be inserted.

so then card already inside it will be always there,
until door becomes opened (0xd0 with '1' param) and eject command 0x80 happened
btw all this can be clearly seen in logs
Correct, having issues with my serial connections. I am still working on getting things connected. Looking at logs now. :)

Last edited:
good luck.

btw, is there anyone who have other similar readers like Club Kart or F-Zero ?

MetalliC,

I haven't had a chance to send the custom commands to the reader yet.

I believe the main ROM chip on the reader is socketed. If I can dump that, would it have any value to you?

no any hurry, "it done then it done" is fine :)

about ROM - yes, its socketed, currently we have dumped one of such readers (not sure is it was from ID or DOC) with ROM labeled
CRP1231BR10
Ver.1.07
01/08/20
if its not too complicated for you - it worth at least check that label yours ROM have.

thanks for checking. well, then we have ID card RW-unit dumped already )
tbh in my opinion there not much use of it's firmware - there a lot of (Hitachi H8) code, quite spaghetti-like, so its hard to get any info from it's analysis.

in any way, did some progress, most likely 0x40 command is "Cancel" command, i.e. stop execution of current/last command.

also get to work Club Kart, which had exact same issues as InitialD - after coin game spammed reader with read (RL) commands, but unlike ID there no analogue of "RESULT3" field (or at least I not found it), so no way to say "I'm busy / I'm waiting for card being inserted", there only OK/Error reply possible...
so, if no card inserted I've tried to not return any reply data at all after RL command, not sure real thing works this way, but game happy and works as expected :)

MetaliC, this is unrelated to card readers, but in your work with analyzing the game code and software emulation, do you think it would be feasible to modify the music tracks in ID3?

I down own one (hopefully some day) but this is the card reader setup for Virtual On Force (Sega Hikaru Hardware)..

I'm curious if this is the same setup as ID3 and if the same techniques could be used to emulate the VOF cards.

parape_pope_gugugu-img360x480-1457091503vea4kc4111.jpg
parape_pope_gugugu-img480x360-1457091503gaig4g4111.jpg

for anyone interested I found this setup for sale cheap on YAJ right now: http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m157695207

It doesn't look like the same setup to me simply because of the extra external pcb. One of those is a power supply, but not sure what the other is that's got the connector going to the reader.

The ID3 reader gets power in on one connector and signals on another straight to the NAOMI2. No other boards are present.

Back