What's new
Avoid the Taito JVS I/O boards.
I have a JVS I/O in my vewlix and wanted to get a multi system.Is there a reason we shouldn't use this I/O board?
They are fine for use with the X/X2 but there is a bug in the firmware which causes them to report the wrong number of switch inputs so some games wont work with them. Also they are crazy expensive.
What i/o would you recommend? Say if I wanted to plug into a JAMMA cab?
I have the fast i/o PCI board for my X2, but I'm currently using the Capcom i/o that is supposed to go with my Naomi setup, and I need to buy the X2 its own i/o. Trying to get the best performance, without going broke. (I know that is a ridiculous goal
If you already have a Fast I/O iDmac in your X2 then I'd recommend picking up a Fast I/O. Otherwise for a JAMMA cab Sega Rev. B is your best bet.

The Capcom I/O should be avoided, its slow and adds an extra frame of lag. Most games will poll the JVS I/O for switch inputs once per frame. The Capcom I/O reports the state of the switch inputs ( joystick / buttons ) from the time of the previous request. So your inputs are always a frame behind.

Otherwise for a JAMMA cab Sega Rev. B is your best bet.
I see a lot of people recommending Rev B over Rev A. What's different about them that makes Rev B the recommended option?
Rev. A being the Sega 838-13683-02?

I mainly recommend the Rev. B because its cheap, common, and good. But honestly I'd be willing to bet any of the Sega JVS I/Os are good. I've just only had hands on experience with the Rev. B and Type 3.

Rev. A being the Sega 838-13683-02?
Yes, the PCB layout is slightly different than the Rev B. the Rev A is also what came equipped inside the official Sega JAMMA Converter:

images.jpg

the Rev A is a lot more common and quite a bit cheaper but I've never noticed any functional differences between them.

Worth considering that Mike Moffit has concluded that both the Sega "Rev B" and Capcom I/O's have... interesting behavior that makes both less than ideal, from an input latency standpoint:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61966&p=1403617#p1403617

IMO, from a simple ease of use standpoint, I'd rather go with a Capcom I/O. If I really cared about lag, I'd use Fast I/O or a Lindbergh I/O.

Worth considering that Mike Moffit has concluded that both the Sega "Rev B" and Capcom I/O's have... interesting behavior that makes both less than ideal, from an input latency standpoint:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61966&p=1403617#p1403617

IMO, from a simple ease of use standpoint, I'd rather go with a Capcom I/O. If I really cared about lag, I'd use Fast I/O or a Lindbergh I/O.
Its been awhile since I've done any testing with the I/O boards but I'am pretty confident in that the Sega Rev. B does not give you old data, and is without a doubt not worse than the Capcom I/O.

From my own experience in writing the JVS to FastI/O dll, I had to actually slow the polling down in order for it to work with the Capcom I/O.

Last edited:
Thanks @Niko.

How do you get Crimzon Clover to play in vertical mode?
Create a "config.ini" file for the game.Then add

Code:
vertical=1
@Niko does the opposite work for changing vertical games to horizontal?
No sorry, some of the titles support a vertical mode and check a registry value to determine whether or not to boot hori or tate. Setting the "vertical=1" value in the config.ini instructs the loader to set this value in registry before launching the game.

Hi Niko,

Is the Crimson Clover vertical mode already set on V2? mine plays in vertical.. or is there more than 1 version.

Also where would I add the config.ini?

Many thanks.

It’s easy hopper, even I managed it lol, just create the config.ini i think I used word pad and put in the text vertical=1, just add it into each game folder, there’s only two that don’t work, one is sky stage and I can’t remember the other, but there’s also a config file in those with some other text so which ever way I tried it I couldn’t get it working.

Hello,

I like to play some Puzzle Bubble on the multi with my childs but, this nesica game is in 1 Round win.

So, with a japonese Friend, i ve tried to change on the Menu in 3 round win but, when i save and restart the game, the game restart without any change and still in 1Round win.

Any idea to save the Nesica Menu on 3 Round of 5 rojnf for this game?

I have no problem for Sf4 or Usf4 when i change something on the menu :S

It’s easy hopper, even I managed it lol, just create the config.ini i think I used word pad and put in the text vertical=1, just add it into each game folder, there’s only two that don’t work, one is sky stage and I can’t remember the other, but there’s also a config file in those with some other text so which ever way I tried it I couldn’t get it working.
Thanks Horris, I will give it a try.

Cheers

Where and how do I create a config file? I presume I open the game folder, in this case Crimson clover in explorer and will I find a config folder or......

what I am aiming for is 2 versions of Crimson Clover one Hori, one Vert. So two options on the home screen.

cheers in advance

I don’t know if you can have 2 versions on at the same time as I’ve never tried it, but if you look in king of fighters sky stage folder you’ll see a config.ini already created, just copy that into the same place of the game your wanting to change and edit the config file, Remove what’s in there and put vertical=1

No problem, I’m sure I’ve remembered it right but if it doesn’t work right let me know and I’ll dig my drive out and have a look.

.ini file config is detailed in OP, but I agree that it might be helpful to have it somewhere else, possibly even included on the drive image as a README. Might already be there, haven't looked and too lazy to do it. :P

Niko' said:
F:\Pacman\TypeXmulti\ <- (Optional) This is where you would place a "config.ini" file which can be used to set certain options for a game. ( More on this below. )
* Create TypeXmulti folder under the root GAME folder (e.g. CrimsonClover)
* Create text file in notepad, add vertical=1
* Save & close text file with filename config.ini into TypeXmulti folder under the root GAME folder (e.g. CrimsonClover)
* Done

Hope this helps.

Back