What's new
I'm having slight problems running games off of a thumbstick - I've formatted the stick as FAT32, the game isn't in a folder (ie the "game.exe" is on the thumbstick's root), but launching while pressing e-button does nothing except blink into dos and then back to the menu. I can go into command line-mode by pressing c, and then go to the thumbdrive on f:, and then start the game manually by typing game.exe.

Anyone know where I'm going wrong?

i am in same boat, i wanted to get ottomedius to work and i read it needs usb boot, and same issue

I’ve tried booting from USB, both with a thumbstick and a HDD, but never had luck through the menu.

The USB Boot option runs the game.exe on the root of the thumbstick and waits for the process to end before starting the multi back up.

I'm almost positive in @Tonybolony 's case with Ottomedius and most likely in your case aswell @Urabutbl, the game.exe you're running is just a launcher that runs the real game's executable and injects some code for inputs to work. The problem is most likely that the launcher ( game.exe ) is exiting after launching the game and not waiting for the real game process to terminate.

thanks for tha Niko i will take a look , it would be nice to run it, its one of the only games i am really that bothered for lol , i gave up on Deathsmiles

The USB Boot option runs the game.exe on the root of the thumbstick and waits for the process to end before starting the multi back up.

I'm almost positive in @Tonybolony 's case with Ottomedius and most likely in your case aswell @Urabutbl, the game.exe you're running is just a launcher that runs the real game's executable and injects some code for inputs to work. The problem is most likely that the launcher ( game.exe ) is exiting after launching the game and not waiting for the real game process to terminate.
This reply likely applies to me as well, so thanks, Niko.

i tried my version of Ottomedius and did what you said but i just get remove disk, preyy much straight away, if anybody has a working ottomedius it would be grateful , maybe i have a naff one

I got a strange behavior today. I got a multi working with my X2 with normal taito io board with a Taito vewlix.

I switch from normal to Fast io board (with fast stuff inside the X2) and got a black screen after a reboot. If I try to get back with the normal io board, it still goes black.

black = X2 starts, logo a, TX2 dos window and black screen.

any idea ?

I’m going to put a fast I/o into my Namco noir so I can use the tx3, but then Wont be able to use my tx2, if I put a fast I/o pci in my tx2 will niko’s 2.0 still work ok or Will I have issues, Also is it just a case of putting the pci card in or do I have to install drivers etc. Cheers.

the pcie card just goes in and your away, but it hit and miss what works, however for me the bonus is that on the namco i/o i get the coin error on the KOF games, but on the fast i/o the work perfectly :D

Cheers tony and rocket, just need to find one now, videotronics is showing one for £70 don’t know if that’s a good price?

I only ever got coin errors once when I first got my Naomi cab with the tx2 but once I painted The cab and rebuilt it correctly I’ve never had an issue and always work on the noir, although I was disappointed kof maximum impact looks better on the crt, very low res on the noir.

he doesn't have it, i asked him for it weeks ago, it is a good price, he lives near me does Mo and i was over thir other week , you can try him, but i think he will say he doesnt have one, as for price, yes, as there going for a premium now i paid 125 euro for mine off Marvetto if you know him

Cheers tony, I’ve spoken to mo a few times, usually when I see something on his website but then like you say he doesn’t have it lol, I’ll give him a ring to double check and then it looks like another wanted ad on ukvac :S

i think he wont be in today , he normally goes to see his mum on a Saturday, but am sure he wont have one lol , am tempted to ring him about his Ringedge one

Yeah I’ve just checked his website and it does say out of stock so wanted ads been put up lol, I did struggle finding my ringedge but it was worth it in the end, I’m constantly looking for stuff so I’ll let you know if I see one.

That is indeed exactly what seems to be happening, obvious once you explained it ;p

Would I be able to fix this if I learnt how to use your JVS Tool, @Niko?

Last edited:
Avoid the Taito JVS I/O boards.
I have a JVS I/O in my vewlix and wanted to get a multi system.Is there a reason we shouldn't use this I/O board?
They are fine for use with the X/X2 but there is a bug in the firmware which causes them to report the wrong number of switch inputs so some games wont work with them. Also they are crazy expensive.
What i/o would you recommend? Say if I wanted to plug into a JAMMA cab?I have the fast i/o PCI board for my X2, but I'm currently using the Capcom i/o that is supposed to go with my Naomi setup, and I need to buy the X2 its own i/o. Trying to get the best performance, without going broke. (I know that is a ridiculous goal
If you already have a Fast I/O iDmac in your X2 then I'd recommend picking up a Fast I/O. Otherwise for a JAMMA cab Sega Rev. B is your best bet.

The Capcom I/O should be avoided, its slow and adds an extra frame of lag. Most games will poll the JVS I/O for switch inputs once per frame. The Capcom I/O reports the state of the switch inputs ( joystick / buttons ) from the time of the previous request. So your inputs are always a frame behind.
Does this issue with the Capcom I/O only apply to the X2, or does it have the same problem on the Naomi? The Capcom I/O is expensive, and the Sega I/O is cheap comparatively. Should I switch over and profit?

Back