What's new

Asayuki

Student
Reaction score
Hi, I am Asayuki Kizuyomina.
I am an hardware designer who will always be 15 years old. My blood type is A. I was born on Remuria, but now live on Earth for professional reasons.
My mission is to face the Brawshella enemy that sits into broken arcade PCBs, as I find it funnier to fix the boards where my favourite games run, rather than playing them.
Some of you might know me on the Arcade Otaku forum, where I post my repair logs. That is one of the ways in which I am giving back to the community from which I borrow the precious informations I need for my hobby.
I joined this forum as I am planning the development of my own tools to aid in my hobby and am willing to share them with the community.

Welcome to the Earth realm, as a fellow PCB repair enthusiast I am very interested to see the tools you make :)

Welcome on board blood type A :)
Yeah, your tool sounds very interesting

Welcome! Anyone that knows how to repair pcbs, please consider posting your repair logs in our user repair logs section!

Welcome... nothing more precious than bring a dead board back to life :D

Welcome! Very happy to see more pcb repair people join. I have a couple of boards in need of repair.

Thank you all for the very warm welcome!

@Derick2k: feel free to open a thread with the symptoms you are seeing. I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

@Mitsurugi-W: Sure I will post links to my repair logs here as well. As for the physical storage place, I hope you don't mind if I prefer AO's wiki: it's a very well organised repository (231 repairs so far, sorted by game) which also hosts several other information; imho it makes sense to keep concentrating all information in one place for the good of everybody. :)

giphy.gif

Hi, I am Asayuki Kizuyomina.
I am an hardware designer who will always be 15 years old. My blood type is A. I was born on Remuria, but now live on Earth for professional reasons.
My mission is to face the Brawshella enemy that sits into broken arcade PCBs, as I find it funnier to fix the boards where my favourite games run, rather than playing them.
Some of you might know me on the Arcade Otaku forum, where I post my repair logs. That is one of the ways in which I am giving back to the community from which I borrow the precious informations I need for my hobby.
I joined this forum as I am planning the development of my own tools to aid in my hobby and am willing to share them with the community.
Here is a thought: Setup a PCB repair logs forum and let @Asayuki moderate! I may be in need of some guidance soon in repairing some Killer Instinct boards. Ever repair any of those in your travels?

EDIT: ...........and welcome aboard!

@MissionFailed: LOL
@acblunden2: never had my hands on a killer instinct board so far. Let's see... MIPS CPU with ATA disk access, 3 Altera FPGAs, possibly an Altera 3000 series CPLD for the ATA port, lots of ram, a dsp for the audio, no schematics because of course.... it looks like a lot of "fun" to fix. Just out of curiosity, what's the issue with it?

@acblunden2: never had my hands on a killer instinct board so far. Let's see... MIPS CPU with ATA disk access, 3 Altera FPGAs, possibly an Altera 3000 series CPLD for the ATA port, lots of ram, a dsp for the audio, no schematics because of course.... it looks like a lot of "fun" to fix. Just out of curiosity, what's the issue with it?
I'll let you know when I get it. Seems to graphical issue. I am hoping it is an EPROM thing and I can just wipe them and reburn them.

On a side note, can you start a thread in the repair logs forum with a handbook for PCB repair? Start out with tools needed. Add in reference docs. Then elaborate from there? This info has always been scarce, isolated to a few experts who worked for arcades as youths and made it a passion. As things have advanced, much of that knowledge has been lost to time. Thanks!

I am pretty good at soldering but the KI pcbs are freaking fragile! They can not handle the heat necessary to remove the SMD components. The biggest problem with these is the processor but the few I have tried to swap with a NOS processor were damaged while either removing the old or trying to solder down the new. My guess is that it's why Chad at Arcade Cup only offered the repair for a very short period of time.

On a side note: I would LOVE to offer someone with pcb repair skills a moderatorship if they were willing to take care of a repair section and post tutorials etc.

I'll let you know when I get it. Seems to graphical issue. I am hoping it is an EPROM thing and I can just wipe them and reburn them.
On a side note, can you start a thread in the repair logs forum with a handbook for PCB repair? Start out with tools needed. Add in reference docs. Then elaborate from there? This info has always been scarce, isolated to a few experts who worked for arcades as youths and made it a passion. As things have advanced, much of that knowledge has been lost to time. Thanks!
As far as I can see from the look of the board, All those EPROMs you see there are either the sound CPU program and data or the bootcode for the MIPS processor. The graphics is entirely loaded from HDD into the huge pile of RAM that is on board. The three FPGAs do the rendering, mixing and other stuff-ing for the graphics. If you have graphics problem I rather really hope you can replace the HDD with a new one containing a dumped image and be done with it. All Alteras have a sticker on them, which makes me fear they are preprogrammed. Unless somebody dumped them, they had better not be the problem! Otherwise you might try replacing the RAMs, but if the board is really that fragile you might end up doing more damage. Of course, mine is all just a shot in the dark. Let's see when you get the board.

On a side note, do you mean something like this? ;)

I tried my hand at repairing a KI board and it's am absolute nightmare, the traces lift so easily and most of the components are so tightly packed in if you try to remove and replace a component you damage the one next to it while trying :(

Graphics issues are usually caused by bad RAM and there are people out there who can replace it successfully (channelmaniac being one of them I believe) but most people won't touch these :(

If it's the customs, then the only way to replace those is to kill another board similar to CPS1 A custom failures

I fear for my KI and UMK3 boards since they are so fragile and difficult to repair

Back