What's new

Ryoandr

Student
Reaction score
I just managed to program some AM29F032, but for some I can't erase them anymore. Since the programer (TOP3000) checks the protection option by default, I was wondering if the protection is permanent and cannot be reversed. There's an unlock option in the menu, it confirms but result is the same after, can't erase.
So is that protection / lock final step permanent ? I have to know to not enable it next time.

The datasheet looks to go pretty in depth, Autoselect on page 11 describes a method how to check if it’s protected or not.
E6F8AE11-F100-430B-B5F1-7EDD7271E1C4.jpeg

There also seems to be a method of temporarily allowing to write/erase the protected sectors.
980B0D76-AA78-4D95-9DC8-D58298A4399F.jpeg

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/196/spansion_inc__am29f032b_eol_21610d8-3004241.pdf#page13

This is a bit beyond my skills =O
But anyway, looking at that, it seems that locking is definitive and I don't have the temp unlock option in either programers I have at hand (top3000 and gq-4x4). It is present in the gq but it's greyed.
Oh well, learning I guess. so if you plan on reusing 29F032 don't lock / protect them !

This is a bit beyond my skills =O
But anyway, looking at that, it seems that locking is definitive and I don't have the temp unlock option in either programers I have at hand (top3000 and gq-4x4). It is present in the gq but it's greyed.
Oh well, learning I guess. so if you plan on reusing 29F032 don't lock / protect them !
RESET pin needs to be held at 11.5-12.5V to temporarily remove protection. RESET is normally held at VDD (usually 5V). Check your programmer settings, there may be a setting in software that tells it to hold RESET pin to a specific level.

So it was sketchy as, but it actually worked in the end.
Had to lift leg as the trace went under the chip, then connected to an adjustable DC supply.
After some unsuccessful tries, I managed. Set to 5v initially for id check, set to 12v then erased, back to 5v to blank check, then 12v for writing, and finally back to 5v for verifying.
Then unsoldered wires, stuck back pin in place, and verify again and it did check good.

So yeah, absolutely do not lock your flashes :)

IMG_20230318_211518-.jpg

Nice work. So no option to manage Reset voltage level through the software 😬? I’m looking at getting an XGecu programmer. I’ll be mindful not to lock the chips if I use them.

TOP3000 has an unlock command that does nothing in this case.
GQ-4X4 has a Temp unlock checkmark that is grayed out, and I did not find anything to activate it, and there's no unlock command in menus.

Back