What's new
I always wander how many units of CPS2 and NEOGEO multi has been sold and if it was worth it, it is not like DS is buying private planes, luxury mansions and high end horizontal orientation entertainers or maybe he is:)
I think DS does it because he really loves what he does, he enjoys the challenge in making these things. Lets face it, in todays world he is not getting rich by selling these, but he might afford a little bit nicer vacation here & there. i think most of the guys that make this kind of products dont go into it thinking "im gonna make a shit ton of $$" Its more of a " Im gonna make this for me cause I want it and I think its cool and others might want it, if I sell a few it will help cut down my costs" type of thing.

Im estimating that a repro board would cost about $500 to manufacture maybe a little less, but lets call it $500. You would have to sell those at around $1500 at least to make a profit worthwhile.

Do you guys agree?
I think for a repo ANYTHING to sell it needs to undercut or be price competitive with originals. That put the market value of a CV1K multi in the 700-1000 range.

I think the next multis are gonna be all cart based :)
AES Multi
PGM Multi
Naomi Multi
Kaneko Super Nova Multi
You forgot...

Jaleco Mega System 32 multi
Jaleco Mega System 1 multi
Konami System GX multi
Taito F1/F2 multI
Seibu SPI multi
SSV multi
IGS PGM2 multi
IGS PGM3 multi
Midway Wolf multi
Midway T Unit multi
Midway Y Unit multi
Midway Vegas multi
Namco System 10 multi
Sega Model 2 multi
Sega Model 3 multi
Sega Hikaru multi
Capcom ZN multi
Psikyo SH2 multi
Psikyo G1 multi
Toaplan V1 multi
Toaplan V2 multi

All the multis...

I always wander how many units of CPS2 and NEOGEO multi has been sold and if it was worth it, it is not like DS is buying private planes, luxury mansions and high end horizontal orientation entertainers or maybe he is:)
CPS2 is the only multi that has brought profits, which were invested on new batches. The rest, specially Taito F3 and Neogeo have been so far money lost. I'm sure with time, they will ALL be on the possitive side.

FPGA based I was estimating more in the range of $5k/board
Crap, look up prices on the best/most powerful fpgas, insane prices X/ Then you talking development time $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ X/ X/ X/ X/
I rather someone spent the time/$$$ developing a better/feature rich scaler that can do 4K since 4K displays are becoming more commonplace and they are getting a lot cheaper.
You'd be surprised what you can do with a $130 Terasic DE10-Nano board. The MiSTer project has just about every 8/16-bit classic PC worth mentioning working, along with 486 simulation that can boot up Windows 95 and run DOOM.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

I think for a repo ANYTHING to sell it needs to undercut or be price competitive with originals. That put the market value of a CV1K multi in the 700-1000 range.
I don't know that I agree with this. You could get 5 lower-price-range-games for the price of the CPS2 multi at the time it was announced.

And CV1k games are a much larger price range than 7-1k, it's more like 700-5k, and that's not including the limited run games. You're only bringing up the very low-end games as what to be competitive with. Price competitive would hit somewhere in the middle of the spread I'd think?

CPS2 is the only multi that has brought profits, which were invested on new batches. The rest, specially Taito F3 and Neogeo have been so far money lost. I'm sure with time, they will ALL be on the possitive side.
That is very sad to hear..I appreciate the work and the love that you put into these things but at the end of the day, bills needs to be paid and as Kevtris say "I got to eat".

I'm shocked to hear the F3 and Neo have been the losers (so to speak)... I would have guessed STV.
I guess STV has been for sale long enough to have made back its investment? Or was it just less expensive to build? Maybe a little of both?

FPGA based I was estimating more in the range of $5k/board
Crap, look up prices on the best/most powerful fpgas, insane prices X/ Then you talking development time $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ X/ X/ X/ X/ I rather someone spent the time/$$$ developing a better/feature rich scaler that can do 4K since 4K displays are becoming more commonplace and they are getting a lot cheaper.
You'd be surprised what you can do with a $130 Terasic DE10-Nano board. The MiSTer project has just about every 8/16-bit classic PC worth mentioning working, along with 486 simulation that can boot up Windows 95 and run DOOM.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki
Hmmmm...we should open up an FPGA discussion thread, showing the capabilities and different solutions that have been created for different hardware.

If Markus would work on a 4K version of the OSSC with better support for arcade hardware/sync issues/etc... I would do everything I could to help fund the project.

I don't know that I agree with this. You could get 5 lower-price-range-games for the price of the CPS2 multi at the time it was announced.
And CV1k games are a much larger price range than 7-1k, it's more like 700-5k, and that's not including the limited run games. You're only bringing up the very low-end games as what to be competitive with. Price competitive would hit somewhere in the middle of the spread I'd think?
We're not talking about a CV1K multi we're talking about a CV1K repo. Presumably a multi would be a separate device at an additional cost. The whole point of the repo would be because the cost of original pcbs is too high to sacrifice one for a multi. Why would I buy a repo board for $1500 in addition to the multi when I could buy an original from Sophia corp to use for $750?

Last edited:
I'm shocked to hear the F3 and Neo have been the losers (so to speak)... I would have guessed STV.
I guess STV has been for sale long enough to have made back its investment? Or was it just less expensive to build? Maybe a little of both?
I did F3 because I love the system and I doubted someone else would do it. Neogeo as soon as the new menu and AES are ready should have a boost.

Man .. not love for an Atomiswave multi cart or a Naomi multi cart solution.

Throwing all these onto an FPGA system would be ultra expensive in material cost as well as time.

There are some other related interesting works in progress, stay tuned.

Do keep in mind that releasing a Cave multi is a little scarier from a legal perspective, as Cave might be bothered by it.

Why would I buy a repo board for $1500 in addition to the multi when I could buy an original from Sophisticated corp to use for $750?
What...?

And I now see we're talking about two different things. Seems silly to me to remake the whole thing, but if people want to do that, more power to them, and I'd end up buying one.

But I think that time and energy would be better put to use improving the existing MAME driver for CV1K rather than starting down the enormous task of recreating an entire PCB on an FPGA. It would also benefit a larger audience.

But I think that time and energy would be better put to use improving the existing MAME driver for CV1K rather than starting down the enormous task of recreating an entire PCB on an FPGA. It would also benefit a larger audience.
Thats a good point. I would support a person who creates FPGA and at the same time keeps the source open so that MAME drivers are improved as well. That way you can have an FPGA which could be better when it comes to elimination of OS based lag etc also has an alternative in FPGA form incase you want a more authentic experience. Infact I hope that FPGA alternatives are available for all systems. Also since FPGA firmwares can be updated, any improvements could only make the board stronger. Also I hope the FPGA board is is a standard one like mIST but better - I am happy to pay a higher amount for a good FPGA board that would support more cores and I would gladly pay for cores that are added. I just feel FPGA based products generally work a bit better just because the OS overhead is absent. MAME is and will always remain the most important work because it would be like the bible - FPGA would be for pedantics like me. :) I rather play FPGA than regularly change original boards and subject them to abnormal wear and tear.

Back