What's new

DrBackhands

Student
Reaction score
I have some Sega trackballs that pinch pretty bad due to worn rollers; looks like Happ 2 1/4 track ball parts aren't the same size. Aside from buying more Sega trackballs and hoping I get one in good condition, are there no other options?

It might be a Wico which are smaller in size length wise and are thicker. Worth checking out.

Mike's Arcade carries the other variant (Wico):
https://mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=TB214WICOKIT

Del
I just ordered the Wico and Atari 2 1/4" kits from here. Neither kit has any parts that fit in a Sega trackball. The Atari idler is close, but you would need different bearings. I didn't compare them directly but the Atari parts look just like the Happ parts.

That’s good info to have! Do you have a Sega trackball with worn rollers also?

After cleaning and oiling the bearings, mine don’t seem to pinch anymore (not sure why), but it’s probably only a matter of time before the rollers will need to be permanently replaced.

I have a couple Sega trackballs, most are from Naomi panels so they're not too bad. The rollers have some wear but nothing significant enough to cause issues. I'm having problems with the optics on one (left and up are faster than right and down), and all my bearings are pretty sticky.

I've been trying to play Sonic and it's impossible if you don't have a perfectly smooth ball. I looked up bearing strats used by Golden Tee enthusiasts and it seems the general suggestion is to dissolve the factory grease in the bearings and replace it with oil (like Liquid Bearings or some sewing machine oil).

I skipped trying to clean them since they're double shielded and just tried letting liquid bearings seep in. It's definitely an improvement but still not perfect. I ordered some unshielded amazon bearings to clean and oil and they're so bad its worse than my old originals.

I have a couple Sega trackballs, most are from Naomi panels so they're not too bad. The rollers have some wear but nothing significant enough to cause issues. I'm having problems with the optics on one (left and up are faster than right and down), and all my bearings are pretty sticky.

I've been trying to play Sonic and it's impossible if you don't have a perfectly smooth ball. I looked up bearing strats used by Golden Tee enthusiasts and it seems the general suggestion is to dissolve the factory grease in the bearings and replace it with oil (like Liquid Bearings or some sewing machine oil).

I skipped trying to clean them since they're double shielded and just tried letting liquid bearings seep in. It's definitely an improvement but still not perfect. I ordered some unshielded amazon bearings to clean and oil and they're so bad its worse than my old originals.
Lubricating bearings has been discussed in depth over at KLOV. Basically, you don't want to use thicker oils like 3 in 1 which will gunk it up. Go for something better like Liquid Bearings. But you must dissolve the old oil and gunk with Acetone (nail polish remover) first. Then apply the Liquid Bearings.

Topic link here: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/th...etball-large-4-trackballs.438855/post-3891337

Del

Back