What's new
> Cool story

I'm going to assume this wasn't meant in a patronising way ;)

> but why I see in debugger NAOMI AlienFront tries to detect modem at G2 bus (i.e. Dreamcast's modem), and see no any access to serial port ?

I'm unsure, the original video was made by a guy called Dan and you can see him having connected his Naomi 2 to a US Robotics modem + the game going through various connection routines:
- A modem was detected
- Dialing out...
- Something else...

I'd link the video but it's on Facebook and so I don't think there is an easy way...

I do agree though, it's strange that your debugger wouldn't show it - maybe I've been completely mistaken and what they're showing isn't what I think.

If I get time I'll try and plug an RS422 converter on it and see if we can see AT commands :)

Last edited:
> but why I see in debugger NAOMI AlienFront tries to detect modem at G2 bus (i.e. Dreamcast's modem), and see no any access to serial port ?

I'm unsure
right answer - because me was running this game with Japan BIOS, it looks like Internet options completely disabled for this country, at least in 2 dumped revisions we have.

and yes, if run in US/EXP this game tries to communicate with modem RS232(SH4's SCIF port)

If I get time I'll try and plug an RS422 converter on it and see if we can see AT commands
I'm fairly sure it will not work if use common older NAOMI1. 422 and 232 are different interfaces:
- RS422, comes from "MIE" JVS MCU, actually it is pair of serial ports, using custom Sega's protocol.
- RS232, SH4's "SCIF" interface. in common NAOMI1 connected to nowhere, in later NAOMI revisions and Naomi2 might be wired to CN8 if selected via jumpers.

this game communicates via RS232 port = SH4 SCIF, and expecting modem connected to it.
if you wire any kind of converter to RS422 - it will have no effect here, because it is completely different port, and this game doesn't use it at all.

I'm unsure
right answer - because me was running this game with Japan BIOS, it looks like Internet options completely disabled for this country, at least in 2 dumped revisions we have.
and yes, if run in US/EXP this game tries to communicate with modem RS232(SH4's SCIF port)

If I get time I'll try and plug an RS422 converter on it and see if we can see AT commands
I'm fairly sure it will not work if use common older NAOMI1. 422 and 232 are different interfaces:- RS422, comes from "MIE" JVS MCU, actually it is pair of serial ports, using custom Sega's protocol.
- RS232, SH4's "SCIF" interface. in common NAOMI1 connected to nowhere, in later NAOMI revisions and Naomi2 might be wired to CN8 if selected via jumpers.

this game communicates via RS232 port = SH4 SCIF, and expecting modem connected to it.
if you wire any kind of converter to RS422 - it will have no effect here, because it is completely different port, and this game doesn't use it at all.
try again, put alien front in US mode

Attachments

• 102574513_10163966888825492_2696123699607968870_n.jpg
    102574513_10163966888825492_2696123699607968870_n.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 36
have you tried looking under the bridge yet?

Attachments

• g2_simple_bus_ex.gif
    g2_simple_bus_ex.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 16027101.jpg
    16027101.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 67
We're happy to see a talent / brain fight. So long as you keep this polite and there are no personal attacks, we'll let it happen.
He speaks wisdom. I'm a bit bullheaded but I know when I've found useful information, but it usually falls on deafened ears.

what exactly you trying to say ?

let me repeat again:
- yes, this game for sure uses serial modem, which should be connected to RS232 port of Naomi2 or later revision NAOMI1 with jumpers.
- so far I see no traces this game might use RS422 instead of RS232, so I'm afraid @bobbydilley hopes will no happen.
- this game also tries to detect Dreamcast's/G2 modem, but it more like DC SDK leftowers and game not really uses it. in any way, we have no such modems for NAOMI, and it will be far not trivial to make an adapter from NAOMI CN2 connector (G2 bus) to Dreamcast modem.

We're happy to see a talent / brain fight. So long as you keep this polite and there are no personal attacks, we'll let it happen.
Sorry to use your own sword to cut a path, but I want to drill it home that it is in fact possible, your software supports it, and I figured out with a goddamn multimeter.
Alien Front Rev T. JP Bios from A-G

NAOMI TEST MODE > ALIEN FRONT TEST MODE > GAME ASSIGNMENTS

Notice you will be Optically connected and also modemly connected as master unit.

I rest my case.

Attachments

• sdsdsdsds.png
    sdsdsdsds.png
    121.5 KB · Views: 60
  • rererererer.png
    rererererer.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 55
  • wrwmxvs.png
    wrwmxvs.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 58
  • fgfgdfg.png
    fgfgdfg.png
    44 KB · Views: 64
  • wewewwewqdc.png
    wewewwewqdc.png
    554.9 KB · Views: 55

Attachments

• Sixnet_photo108.gif
    Sixnet_photo108.gif
    35.1 KB · Views: 48
what exactly you trying to say ?
let me repeat again:
- yes, this game for sure uses serial modem, which should be connected to RS232 port of Naomi2 or later revision NAOMI1 with jumpers.
- so far I see no traces this game might use RS422 instead of RS232, so I'm afraid @bobbydilley hopes will no happen.
- this game also tries to detect Dreamcast's/G2 modem, but it more like DC SDK leftowers and game not really uses it. in any way, we have no such modems for NAOMI, and it will be far not trivial to make an adapter from NAOMI CN2 connector (G2 bus) to Dreamcast modem.
never was a dreamcast modem, this predates that..., and the jumpers naomi by nearly 8 years

to put it in "Brains"

the Modem in the dreamcast is just on a serial bus, just like the one on the naomi that's looking for an industrial modem, the modem itself is self contained, much like the classic DE-9 connector modem you added to your oldschool PC computer.

which is how Dan got it working on a Naomi2 with a regular PC modem, where a naomi1 would require an RS422 modem.

Last edited:
its attached to an RS422 modem, like but not exactly this one.
my bullshitmeter close to overflow.
there was said already - RS422 in NAOMI uses custom Sega protocol, implemented in JVS MCU firmware, there is close to zero chances it will be able to communicate anything non-Sega made.

my bullshitmeter close to overflow.there was said already - RS422 in NAOMI uses custom Sega protocol, implemented in JVS MCU firmware, there is close to zero chances it will be able to communicate anything non-Sega made.
rs422 pinout:

[ jp9-12 = 1+2 ]

1-RXD-

2-RXD+

3-GND

4-TXD+

5-TXD-

6-GND

5v signal level

If I'm wrong I go away, If I'm right you put it in demul and mame and we settle it blasting aliens.

Here, I'll even make it "talent" for the course.

Attachments

• DSC_8534.jpg
    DSC_8534.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 58
my bullshitmeter close to overflow.there was said already - RS422 in NAOMI uses custom Sega protocol, implemented in JVS MCU firmware, there is close to zero chances it will be able to communicate anything non-Sega made.
JVS is RS485

Code:
 kCmdReset = 0xF0,           // mandatory
    kCmdAddressSet = 0xF1,      // mandatory

kCmdIoId = 0x10,            // mandatory
    kCmdCommandRev = 0x11,      // mandatory
    kCmdJvRev = 0x12,           // mandatory
    kCmdProtocolVer = 0x13,     // mandatory
    kCmdFunctionCheck = 0x14,   // mandatory
    kCmdMainId = 0x15,

kCmdSwInput = 0x20,
    kCmdCoinInput = 0x21,
    kCmdAnalogInput = 0x22,

kCmdRetry = 0x2F,           // mandatory

kCmdCoinSub = 0x30,
    kCmdDriverOutput = 0x32,
    kCmdCoinAdd = 0x35,

kReportOk = 0x01,
    kReportParamErrorNoResponse = 0x02,
    kReportParamErrorIgnored = 0x03,
    kReportBusy = 0x04,
  };
its just plain old differential comms too

https://github.com/toyoshim/jvsio/tree/master

I made one from drawer Junk and a Chamma harness

and converted it to XBOX later too.

the MIE is just a controller adapter on Port CD, ports AB are the MAPLE plugs on the filter board.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1599124429473.jpg
    FB_IMG_1599124429473.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 52
  • FB_IMG_1600421586871 (1).jpg
    FB_IMG_1600421586871 (1).jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 52
  • dfdsf[p.png
    dfdsf[p.png
    485.5 KB · Views: 48
  • psfis[pfdsf.png
    psfis[pfdsf.png